1911Forum banner

Which make and model do you prefer?

• American Classic 1911 Government ($619.99)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ATI Firepower Extreme Military 1911 ($369.99)

• EAA Girsan MC1911 Government ($499.99)

• Iver Johnson 1911A1 ($670)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm looking for a more reasonably priced basic 1911 that looks like a WW II pistol. I'll have to bubba it a bit with an ambidextrous safety due to wrong handedness. Reliability with 230 grain FMJ is first priority. Which makes and models have worked out for you in the $300-800 range?

Purpose: Range fun, pictures on GI gear, occasional carry if it works well (all my guns are carry guns).

I added a poll. The list is not exhaustive and feel free to add recommendations.

All prices listed are from gun.deals, gunbroker or wikiarms as of 28 March 2021.

·
Administrator
75,390 Posts
If I had to buy one from your list, right now it would be the Tisas. Runner up would be the Auto Ordnance.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I must have mentioned it half a dozen times already, but I have been very happy with my Auto Ordnance. I did change a few small parts on it, to enhance the looks.

·
Administrator
75,390 Posts
Reactions: Frank Vaccaro

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you want a true milspec 1911 most of those on the list don't qualify. Almost all of them have lowered ejection ports, square front sights, no lanyard ring, flat mainspring housing and funky bumper mags. I don't have one but I'd go with the SDS.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have an unfired Colt WW I Repro. I was going to mess with it, but decided to "collect" it. I'll checkout that AO pistol.

Auto Ordnance or Inland would be my choices.
Inland is a Series 80, however. It did look pretty good with the rollmarks and wide spur hammer.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I voted for SDS. I have the Duty model, not the GI, but the fit and finish is way beyond what you would expect. It has been completely reliable and quite accurate.
SDS is the importer - Tisas makes the pistol.

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
Nighthawk and other American companies make quality 1911 clones.

Buy American.

Reactions: Frank Vaccaro

·
Administrator
75,390 Posts
For me to buy an Auto Ordnance they would have to be a lot better than they used to be.
My first 1911 was an Auto Ordnance back around 1990 when they were made out of West Hurley, NY by Numrich. To call it a piece of crap was an insult to crap everywhere. How they had the audacity to ship out such shoddily-built guns was beyond me. Fortunately once Numrich sold AO to Kahr things began to turn around, and nowadays they're pretty decent guns for the price. By the way the Inland 1911s look virtually identical to the AO pistols aside from markings, which leads me to suspect they share a common source for the major components... and yet they are priced much higher.

Reactions: Sconie

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi all!

I'm looking for a more reasonably priced basic 1911 that looks like a WW II pistol. I'll have to bubba it a bit with an ambidextrous safety due to wrong handedness. Reliability with 230 grain FMJ is first priority. Which makes and models have worked out for you in the $300-800 range?

Purpose: Range fun, pictures on GI gear, occasional carry if it works well (all my guns are carry guns).

I added a poll. The list is not exhaustive and feel free to add recommendations.

All prices listed are from gun.deals, gunbroker or wikiarms as of 28 March 2021.
You are likely to find all of those choices and more close but no cigar.

The Tisas is the closest but has a lowered ejection port. To stay true to a real A1 you need to buy a slide that's more WWII than all of your choices. Numrich sells a GI slide with a standard not lowered ejection port for $260.

Inland Msg. makes a 1911 that has all the period correct parts and has a slide with the GI ejection port except that its a series 80.

I have a Tisas that I modified to look more like an early 1940s A1 with parts mostly from eBay.

Or buy a WWII reissue O1911A1.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've read a lot of good things about ati but I don't remember how close of a repro it is. But if what I read is correct you get a lot for your money. Good luck

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would go with the SDS Imports. It is the Tisas 1911 A1 US Army. I actually bought one. It has all the features you are looking for in the original with the exception of the ejection port. This one has the lowered ejection port but all else is correct. Research these. Nothing but positive reports and fit and finish is way above its price. It has tremendous workmanship and quality in its production.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts