1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Get thee to the Cusoms House

jetsiphon said:
I'm looking for something a bit hotter than the semi wadcutter that Federal offers in .45 Long Colt.
There are some good, reliable "custom" ammo shops out there. I guess high on that list would be Black Hills. You can find custom 45LC up to greatly over factory recommended pressures with really big balls (350gr and larger). Customarily these loads work well in lever action rifles and well designed pistols (typically not SAA replicas or reissues). Depending on your firearm mfg. recommendations, you may want to call some of these ammo houses and discuss where you want to go relative to how much pressure you firearm can deal with. (I would love to tell you what I pile on my .45 Super Redhawk but I shouldn't, so I won't).

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the Ruger Vaquero in 45lc (stainless birdshead with a 4" bbl)
Glad to say you can run the hot loads threw that with no worries at all:cool:

Problem is, as you all ready know, the ammo manufacturers load very conservatively for that cartridge because of all those ancient revolvers out there. I think Cor-bon makes a stout loading for that cartridge, but you really have to roll your own for cheap shooting. If you don't, find someone who does. The 45lc is one of the few cartridges where it really is cheaper to reload, even after the initial expense of a die set, etc.

On the Vaquero, you can safely push the 45lc to 44mag power:rock:

And for cheap shooting, if you all ready reload for the 45acp, you can use the cheaper 45acp bullets on your 45lc. (.451" versus .452") no difference in short range accuracy.

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
sikhed said:
I have the Ruger Vaquero in 45lc (stainless birdshead with a 4" bbl) Glad to say you can run the hot loads threw that with no worries at all. On the Vaquero, you can safely push the 45lc to 44mag power
You are correct. The Vaquero uses significantly stouter frame than the old SAA Colt and many replicas. I don't know if the "New Vaquero" is as strong as the old, larger frame (and cylinder) one or not.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm not going to say where the line is drawn , but some .45 Colt +P commercial loads are intended for 5 shot cylinders . In addition to Corbon , Buffalo Bore , Grizzly , and a few others make hot loads including non expanding hard cast bullets for hunting the largest game animals...Tom

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
based on specific launch platform

BuffaloBore, CorBon, Quality Cartridge, Stars & Stripes Ammo, and maybe one or two more........:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts