1911Forum banner

good and cheap, where is the line?

1810 Views 16 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  euge
Well, this is my first post in the Blades section of this forum. I generally stick to projectile, as in pwder propelled not thrown, weapons.
but finally have decided that i need more than a swiss army knife for daily carry.
I was wondering if you Knife Gurus could recommend and post some pics so i can get a look see at some decent "Tactical" folders, but that are fairly low in price range. As in and around the $50 mark. less if they make 'em. but i can't fill up a gas tank for less than 50 these days, so i know what to expect.
but be honest. If there aren't any good folders for less than 200 dollars, tell me true. and tell me what the best compromise would be. thanks for any info.

higgy
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
922 Posts
Spyderco Delica or Endura. Lightweight, tough, well designed, hold a good edge. Do a search on E Bay, plenty of them there. I think for what they are they are a good value.
Regards

Shike

· Registered
320 Posts
good knives for $50 bucks

you might want to look at CRKT they have a large selection of knives in that price range and all are well made ,hold a very sharp edge and wont kill the wallet either. I carry a Ryan plan B and have no complaints.

· Registered
398 Posts
If you live here in Colorado then you can get a factory second Spyderco. I usually buy a couple each year. I've been carrying a factory second Endura model for the last couple of years but own several others as well. Some of the Spyderco knives I have seen on E-bay are the factory seconds going to brand new prices...so buyer beware.

I know that there are those on the forum that detest Cold Steel but the simple fact remains that they also make several excellent folders for everyday work. I know because I own a few of these too.

Gerber and Buck make some good stuff to in the general price range you're look at.

You can try these guys for a start -
http://store.knifecenter.com/HomePage.html I'm sure that there are others but these folks have been reasonable to me in the past when I needed something.

Cheers J sends

· Registered
15 Posts
I just bought two Remington folders with 4.25" blades. The body of the knife is figerglass reinforced nylon handle. Made in the U.S. Got them for $13.99 each from CDNN. So far they seem to be made well.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Valkman said:
Good is one of my knives, cheap is one of Wylie's. :p
why you whipper snapper ;) Now once you get away from those blades you been buying from Texas knife and do your own we can talk :biglaugh:

Where to draw the line at cheap vs good is a tuff one. You can buy a really cheap knife at BIG5 for $8 under a name like Fury , but it will perform like a $8 knife , but you can buy a Kershaw Vapor 2 at WalMart for $30 that will do most of the mundane things people might use a knife for on a daily basis. Then there are people who will use a knife hard and want a lil bit better , maybe better looking , better steel , longer life etc. Kershaw , Buck and BM fill this role nicely , as does Spyderco. I have a hard time having faith that a knifes lockup will indeed be there when I need it for under $80 in a production.

· Registered
1,015 Posts
For daily carry, I used to carry my Spyderco Endura until I lost the clip for it. I carried it for almost 4 years and only gave it a real good sharpening about 2 or 3 times. I gave this thing hell. I used to cut open canned goods, cut wire, saw wood with it. Pretty much cut everything you weren't supposed to with it. The only damage was that a couple of the teeth on the serrations were slightly chipped but to me lost its utility when I had to fish it out of my pocket when I wanted to use it, or just check to make sure it didn't fall out. I have a CRKT M-16 13 Military that I carry now. This is a sturdy knife that really works well. I am really careful about what I cut with it since the blade is not as robust as the Spyderco. It is a great knife that has a decent size blade but does not attract too much attention since the rest of it is relatively small. I just ordered an Emerson Specwar knife with a plain blade since I liked my friends CQC-7 so much and I wanted a knife that has no serrations that I have to sharpen. The CQC-7 with drop point blade has been discontinued so the closest thing was the Specwar. The knife should get here next week so I can give you an initial review of the knife. As far as price goes, I wouldn't worry about spending $100-150 for a knife from a reputable maker. There are always going to be things and features that you will want so just try potential knives out and see how you like them.

· Banned
50 Posts
In the price range you are looking at, I would also vote for CRKT, Kershaw, and Benchmade. They all make excellent knives, in the price range you are looking at. Remeber, you GET what you pay for. If you are willing to spend more, you can get an EXCELLENT knife from Emerson. I would prefer Emerson over CRKT (not that there is anything wrong with their knives. I own one or two myself. And would buy more.)

· Banned
50 Posts
PS:
If you want another good solid knife, check out the Gerber Firestorm!! It was designed by Rick Hinderer. It is a heavy, rock solid, tough knife, and I got mine for $50, including shipping. ( I bought mine from The Knife Center of the Internet. It was $44.)

· Registered
56 Posts
THere has been some good advice, I would like to throw 1 more out. I really like Al Mar's for carry, main reason is they are very slim. That way if you are not doing the clip thing, they do not bulge in the pocket so much, they ae also of a high quality as others mentioned

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.