1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot IDPA with a .45 and have shot .45's for over 25 years. I have more of them than I care to count. My older teenage son has shown himself to be quite a shot, both with rifle and pistol. He has won two competitions with rifle and has done very well so far with a .38 Ruger with target loads.

I think he is capable of shooting IDPA and would like for him to join me in the competitions. I think a Browning Hi-Power might be the way to start. I have always loved the gun. It is like a 1911 in basic controls, is very accurate and easier to shoot than a .45. The only problem is, I hate to add a new set of reloading dies and brass to what I already reload.

What do you all think? Is a Highpower a good place to start?

I don't own a 9 mm, so what is a good price to pay for a decent Highpower?

And if you feel another gun would be a better choice, please let me know.

And I know all of you are thinking, here is a dad that always wanted a Hipower, and you are right. But so what?

Thanks,

Tm

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Tm, I've been shooting 1911's for 30 years. Carried in combat, personal carry, EP and competition. I also have more than enough Hi powers to say that you should go ahead and get one. They are great guns to own. For competition I can't comment as I've competed in IPSC with a customized 1911 and IDPA with a Colt 1911A1 and SOF 3 gun with 1911, AR15, HKBenneli. I've seen quite a few BHP's at IDPA matches and as stock matches are picking up in popularity you see it more and more.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have shot IDPA and USPSA with both BHPs and 1911. The problem I have is that I have shot HPs for more than 25 years so there is a sense of familiarity with it. I have used a stock HP and 1911 at the Tues Night Steel at Rio Salado. Both are fine. The 1911 recoil is a bit much. The stock HP is a bit of a pain because of the mag safety. You have to reinsert the mag to drop the hammer. Either disconnect it or buy an extra mag to keep empty. The other HP is a customized job by C&S.

It is the sweetest shooter. The recoil is a lot lighter than a .45 but the downside is you are shooting minor rather than major. But is you are more accurate and faster it more than makes up the difference.

All in all, except for the image of shooting a 1911 in .45 I find the HP to be a real joy to shoot. HPs can be very competitive, but finding someone who actually knows what they are doing on one is much harder.

Go HP in 9mm, get the mag disconnect removed, get a trigger job. I have a bar-sto in one and it does make a difference but is not a requirement. The other downside is the mags. 1911 mags can be very easy to clean, the HPs usually do not have a removable base. So dropping them in sand does cause a cleaning problem, not insurmountable just a pain.

GO HP, better ergonomics, softer recoil, way cheaper ammo. Walmart 100 rounds @ $10.95. Half as much as .45s.

Any way that is my obeservation. I shoot both guns in both competitions. But years of experience with the HP make it more comfortable to shoot than my 1911. Do not get me wrong I really like shooting the 1911 it is just the HP is more natural to me.

Another note: 1911 has a bunch of gunsmiths who can do a good job, less than can do an excellent job, HP has only a few that I would trust. It is a more complicated gun. Very reliable just more complicated.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Oops I forgot to post a price. I purchased a used one in NE for $400. But I have over a thousand into it via Cylinder & Slide. The clones go for a couple of hundred. A Belgian goes for $475 - $600. Some of dealers marked up the price because they heard the Browning was not going to make them anymore. But shop around you can still find a good deal.

You can get preban mags for the HP in 13 and 17 rounds pretty easily.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you wanted to go a little cheaper, you can get a FEG Hi Power clone. The only semi-auto pistols I own are 1911 and hi powers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I will probably get him (and me) a HP and then find someone who can do the work on it. I have an old-timer gunsmith who seems to be able to do anything if you are patient and will ask him about it.

I'll let you know what transpires. Thanks again!

Tim

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I just found a HP from 1965 for my son for 400 bucks that was perfect and I thought it would fit my son well. The problem is when I bought it the guy brought out the black browning pistol rug with the logo and gold zipper. when he opened it up to put the gun in there was the original owners manual. There isn't one mark on the gun it looks like the day it came out of belgium. Oh well, I guess my son will have to use the Witness.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes, a Hi-Power is a good place to start. I recently picked up a new one because I want a softer shooting pistol. For some reason, I have developed a flinch with the 1911 in .45 ACP. The 9mm Hi-Power is a good way to back off the recoil but still shoot a service round. Of course, the trigger on Hi-Power is not the quality of a tuned 1911, but there is hope for it.

[This message has been edited by Drago (edited 09-30-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts