1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at a gunshow this weekend trying to sell a rather large hunting revolver, not of the Colt flavor, when I see this guy walking around with an older Colt box under his arm. About that time someone asked him about it. "It's a Colt Delta Elite. I want $475 for it" DOH!! And me with no money. Half hour goes by, and he still has it! Saw him showing it to someone, and this gun looked NEW! Finally sold mine at a rock bottom price and started hunting the guy down. Never did find him though. :(
Honestly though, I went to sell, not to buy.
So I came home and ordered a 1903 A3 and 960 rds. of .30-'06 from the CMP.
So was $475 a good price for a DE?

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
A real good deal. I paid $400 for one about a month ago. Have since put about $100 in it for new internals.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've never seen a deal on a DE. Every one I've ever seen has been $850 & up. I even have 250 rounds of Double Tap ammo, anticipating a purchase, but so far haven't been able to find a good deal on one. I keep hoping Colt might make a 1991 chambered in 10mm.
Wouldn't that be awesome. Are you listening Mark! :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am actively looking for a Delta Elite. Saw one at the Valley Forge PA gunshow this weekend marked over $1000. It ws a NIB pre enhanced!!!

Wish I could come up with deals in the $400 range:(

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
John Forsyth:

Though you weren't gonna keep bringing up that $400 Delta, againandagainandagainandagain.....:biglaugh: Merry Christmas, anyway!

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
If SCF can keep posting pics of his 1991, I can keep bragging about my Delta. :D

Besides, new pics next week (waiting on new grips to arrive).

Merry Christmas everyone.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Grips are in the mail, John. Might get there by tomorrow? :)

FWIW, D.E.'s around my area don't seem to be going for the big money lately. Not sure why. New introductions by DW and Kimber might have had some impact, but suspect it is small. I've bought 3 additional D.E.'s (all blue) in the last year; 2 of which are absolutely NIB. Highest price paid has been $595. Sounds like the pricing spread around the country is quite significant.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I saw a SS Delta Elite Gold Cup for $650 last weekend at the gun show. No box, 1 mag, about 95%. I could not come up with the cash. OUCH!!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I paid $395 (used) for mine.

Admittedly, it did require a little tuning from the Colt Factory after I bought it before it could shoot reliably with just about any type of ammo. Colt did the tweaking free of charge and it's been one of my most reliable guns ever since.

Cosmetically, it's looks fairly sharp. The odd, "dark" looking scratch behind the trigger is just goo left over from where the rubber trigger-lock was pressing against it.

All things considered, I thought it was a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I picked up a pre-enhanced SS Delta last weekend for $475 OTD. It has some scratches and needs the white dots put back in the sights. There was also some very light pitting under the stock Delta grips, so I guess the frame and slide need to be polished. I was told it was carried in a glove compartment. It came with a Wilson FLGR and is very tight with a great trigger. I think I did OK price wise, even though it only came with one mag and no box. I'm very pleased right now and wish it would warm up so I could run a few rounds through it and see how it functions.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I've never seen a Colt DE in "new" condition sell for less than $600 and that was over a year ago on Guns America, I just missed it, someone else had bought it. I never see them locally. Lately they all seem to be around $800 or so, the prices have been climbing, but just recently I've noticed them start to go down a bit again. Maybe it's because of some new 10mm's on the market and whispers of more to come. Or maybe the rumors that Colt MAY be bringing out a 10mm again.

I still like the original Delta Elite the best though, I hope they bring that one back out and with the frame cut-out, but of course they would do that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Keep a roll in your pocket

The economy priced Deltas (actually 10mm's) seem to come in waves according to my experience. So, keep some extra discretionary cash in your hide-away! Within a two month period, a saw three Deltas come up for sale.....the highest priced at $550. My favorite dealer called me when he got a consignment sale Delta come in. For $500, I told him to hold it for me and I'd come by after work. When he opened the original box, I was looking at a pre-enhanced Stainless model. Other than a dirty bore, it was in excellent condition. About two-weeks later I ran by another dealer just browsing around. On my final glance through his display I noticed a Smith marked 610. I asked to see it and turned over the tag to see $349. Walked home with that 6.5" model 610 that day. With my discretionary funds shot (and then some), I watched two more Deltas slip from my grasp. On the brighter side, if you haven't fired a 10mm S&W 610, you haven't experience the true accuracy potential of the 10mm cartridge. That revolver will shoot!

Lesson from my experience, keep you eyes open for more Deltas. Being a "cult" cartridge, they seem to go unnoticed by anyone except true 10mm fans.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts