1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to find my main carry ammo for my CDP Compact.
I am told that the alloy frame might be a little more sensitive to hollowpoints.
My first concern is reliability.

Anyone have a CDP and has tested some hollowpoints for feed reliability?
I am just looking to save a few bucks by narrowing down my selections so I don't have to test them all myself. I will of course test my own gun with my ammo once I get a few ideas where to start.

Perhaps a hollowpoint with the best "ball ammo" shape to it.

I am thinking I will stick to ammo that has best performance from a short barrel, so likely 185gr +P (but I am open to suggestion).

I like Proload ammo, but I am not sure the Gold Dot is the best shape for picky guns (?). It appears that maybe the Hydrashock and Golden Sabre have a repuration for good bullet shape. And I don't like the Hydrashock out of this barrel length so, so far I am looking at the 185gr+P Golden Sabre. But I ahve yet to do anything but hand feed ammo, so I am a long way from trying any of it at the range.

Anyone have experience with allow guns and reliability of specific hollowpoint brands?

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry I can't recommend a load that I have tested but it sounds like a good round for you might be Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket EFMJ. You can pick it up at http://www.ammoman.com/webstore_45.htm If you click on the picture links: http://www.ammoman.com/images/NEW_45+P.jpg http://www.ammoman.com/EPS/efmj1.jpg http://www.ammoman.com/EPS/efmj2.jpg http://www.ammoman.com/EPS/efmj3.jpg http://www.ammoman.com/EPS/efmj4.jpg http://www.ammoman.com/EPS/efmjgel.jpg

You can get information on how and why it was developed and more in-depth information on its performance here: http://www.ammoman.com/40_EP_DESC.htm Sorry I can't offer you any real world CDP Compact tests, but maybe u should buy a couple boxes of this from your local gun shop or order 5 boxes from him to test before committing or something, but I would definitely check it out!

Matt

No I don't work for ammoman or federal
just saw it and thought it looked like it was good self defense ammo.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I do not own a Compact CDP, but I do own a Pro CDP, a Pro Carry, and a Gold Combat and I use 230 gr hydrashocks. Nothing else has the feed reliability and accuracy.

HTH

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
thaddeus - Why not good old fashioned 230gr ball? Seriously. Not that I have anything against JHP's but if you're worried about feeding reliability and excessive wear on the feed ramp a good FMJ will take care of those concerns. Specifically, I prefer Winchester's 230gr FMJ (Q4170) or my carry ammo Federal's 230gr "Match" FMJ. If you're dead set on a JHP for carry ammo I have found Federal 230gr Hydra-Shoks to be 100% reliable in my Kimber Compact Aluminum Stainless with no perceived excess wear on the feed ramp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Ultra CDP which I shoot 185gr Golden Sabres out of because the 230 gr loads felt too heavy for the size. I like this load because of the brass jacket and rounder nose.

Never had a FTF or FTE from this round.

Then again, I have never had any FTF/FTEs from the Hydrashocks, Tritons, EFMJs or Proloads I've tried.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a compact cdp and have tried a dozen different types of ammo more than half of that hollow points. Knocking on wood, I have yet to have a FTF with anything I've shot through it. I currently carry the first 5 rounds 230gr Hydroshock and the rest whatever ball I'm using at the time. My logic...You can't beat Federal ammo for quality, the first few rounds of a gunfight are probably going to be real close, after that first burst of fire it's either over or someone is behind cover thus the ball. Strictly a novice opinion!

Absolutely love my Compact CDP though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am lovin my CDP Compact too. I put Wilson slim grips on it (which I wish were even thinner just for concealment), and a Wilson polymer guide rod in it to cut weight. So far it is %100 reliable and very accurate out of the box.
If I really continue to like it, it will be heading to Tripp for hardchroming (because my sweat easily rusts the stainless steel slide).

I like heavier bullets for the feel when I shoot, and I like Proload, so I guess I will try a box of 230gr Proload.

I like the 200gr EFMJ idea, I am just not ready to buy 5 box minimum from Ammoman.com (anyone know where I can get one box?).

My concern over Hydrashocks are that they seem to have poor expansion probability through cloth even from a 5" barrel. (See tests over on the www.pistolsmith.com ammo forum).

IF I have any doubts about reliability of hollowpoint I will go with the EFMJ.

I think the ultimate is the new LEO Ranger ammo. It seems to have stellar performance. Anyone know where I can get LEO Ranger ammo?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've been a lurker here for a while, but this post made me register!

I also have a CDP Compact, having purchased it this last winter. While I have by no means shot an extensive amount of ammunition through it, I have fired a fair number of these different rounds:
Federal 185 gr. HyrdaShok
Corbon 185 gr. (I think that's the right weight)
Remington 230 gr. Golden Sabre
Winchester 230 gr. ball

At no time have I ever experienced either a FTF or FTE of any type. To say I am enamored of my Kimber would be a gross understatement. It's my daily carry gun and I have absolute confidence in it's reliablity.

------------------
Live Hard. You can rest when you die.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Hate to be the one to bring it up...but...doesn't matter what anyone elses' gun feeds. Only matters what YOURS' FEEDS!
Buy good quality ammo in the configuration that shoots EVERYTIME NO EXCUSES! Reliability is #1 in carry ammo. Everything else is a distant #2...
Now...

There are good results stated be many for the Gold-Dot bullets in many configs from different makers. The XTP bullets have a good rep as well. There WILL be others but the fact that YOU have to try them is what you should concentrate on.
Black Hills, Speer and other Gold-Dots, Winchester SXT +P and several others have a good history SO FAR FOR SOME PEOPLE!
Try the heavier weight bullets and try to stay away from the idea that expansion is a guide to your choices. The fact is that you can't bet on ANY EXPANSION. You can bet on good bullets from established companies that have some good reports going for them.

Here's a link to a good discussion on this subject. Good luck and make your own decision here...It's your life...

http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewforum.php?forum=24&1631

There's a lot of good info there and you're already asking the right questions. Hope you get what you're lookin' for...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The link you provided took me to the forum I suggested above.

As I said in my first post, I am looking to narrow the field a bit. So far no one has mentioned any to stay away from, which is great.
Fact is, some brands of ammo just don't agree with some brands of guns, due to the shape of the bullet. Sounds like Kimber has no problems there.

I am going to try this box of 230gr +P Gold Dots from Proload. I like heavy bullets. I like how they shoot and I like that they penetrate. Expansion is nice, and Gold Dots do well there, but reliability, accuracy, penetration and other things come first. A .45 is a pretty big hole to start with

Here is one of the better threads I have seen on .45 hollowpoint tests:
http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1636&forum=24

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thaddeus,

I agree with gyp_c that what counts is what your handgun feeds 100% of the time. However, I have a custom CDP and have had the same experience as slish. In the process of determining which hollowpoint to use I have shot hundreds of rounds from most of the big name manufacturers. I have yet to have a FTF with any defense hollowpoints I put through the gun. So far I have used the 230gr golden sabre cause I tend to like the heavier bullet. The 185 gr speer gold dots seem to be the most accurate out of my gun. Since I have not had any FTFs with any defense ammo I am wondering how true it could be that the aluminum frame may cause trouble with hollowpoint feeding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm intrigued by the Federal EFMJ. My plan is to buy a whole bunch of good quality FMJ for "practice" and general plinking, and the EFMJ for carry. Remember the Ammoman will let you mix and match to arrive at the 5 box minimum. You can buy 4 boxes of your current favorite, or some FMJ that you know you'll eventually use at the range or something, and try out a box of the new Federals for testing before you commit to a big purchase. That's the route I'll go.

stickshooter's "mixed mag" idea is interesting. I don't know that I'd put different loads in the same mag, but having the spare mag full of FMJ round ball makes sense. Though I sincerely hope I'd be hoofing it over the horizon before I'd need the second mag! To quote from a Monty Python skit: "Why do you want to leave the Army, Smith? Are you a pacifist?" "No, sir! I'm a coward."

-mickey

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thadeus,
Yer sweats bad if it rust stainless in a day or so. Had severe wear on my Glock23 from 3 years of carry and got it hard chromed. Tripp Research can do alot of cool things but they CANNOT plate stainless with chrome. Neither can anyone else. Maybe a good paint job from them or Wilson is the ticket. Best thing you can do is wipe it down with a silicone rag at the end and beggining of every day.

------------------
Sappers Forward

·
Registered
50 Posts
APW at safety harbor fl. better known as cougan custom guns does hard chromeing onstainless steel guns. he has done a lot of my stainless steel guns and they hold up good he does beautiful work.

------------------

·
Registered
60 Posts
i'm a big fan of the 230gr Hydra Shocks. Feeds perfectly, feels good to shoot. Never cared for the 185gr +p. Just Doesn't feel right in my CDP. As far as expansion, come on, it's a .45. Put two in someones chest from 10 yds away and i don't think you really need to worry about expansion. i don't consider it when i purchase ammo. I would rather my ammo feeds 100% and be more accurate than i can shoot.

BMF

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am looking to find my main carry ammo for my CDP Compact. I am told that the alloy frame might be a little more sensitive to hollowpoints. My first concern is reliability.
I have an Ultra CDP and have tried various HP loads in my gun. All of them feed & function without incident.

Personally, I am able to get back on target quicker when shooting either Federal 165g HydraShoks or 185g Golden Sabre than the same in 230g, but they all work.

I know I have a gun mag at home somewhere in which one of the writers reported on his selection process for carry load in his Ultra Carry. I'll see if I can locate it; there was some info on bullet expansion & penetration.

I think your best course is to stick with the major manufacturers, try at least 100 rounds of each HP load you are considering & a minimum of another 150 rounds on those which perform the best in your gun & shooting style.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have been shooting Cor-Bon 185grain as a defensive load in all of my .45s. Whatever you settle on, it is a good idea to fire at least 100 rounds with the magazines you carry to insure reliable feeding. If you can't do 100 full house defensive loads in one stretch w/out a ftf, you need to switch loads or mags or have some work done on the ramp and chamber. There is a new load from Cor-Bon called powerball, but I haven't had a chance to handle it. Looks like the round profile of fmj for reliability, but has the advantages of reliably controlled expansion. I've been thinking about switching to it as a Winter load, as it will not get plugged by heavy clothing. If anyone knows anything else about that load I want to hear it. www.corbon.com

·
Registered
645 Posts
I carry RBCD rounds made in San Antonio, TX for defense in my Officers model. This round is only 115 grains, it is not +P but exits the muzzle at 1,650 feet per second and produces 800 foot pounds of energy.

The muzzle flash is no worse than Hydrashocks and the recoil is more mild than 230 grain ball ammo.

In side by side tests (I watched a comparison video) to Hydrashocks, the RBCD round vaporized the 25 lb. clay blocks where as the Hydrashocks merely flattened them.

They are expensive ($30 for a box of twenty rounds) but if you only need them in a life or death situation they are well worth it.

By the way, I do not work for the manufacturer. I am just an impressed CHL holder that is willing to stake his life on them.

MadDog

·
Registered
416 Posts
thaddeus,

Check out my EFMJ tests (Pics) in the Self Defense/tactics or Ammo Can forum (duplicate posts).

What I use in my Pro CDP.

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I carry, in my Ultra CDP, the same stuff I carry in my Pro Elite with no problems!

Winchester Ranger SXT, 230 Gr JHP. These are the "Black Talons" that everyone was scared to death of. Well, they should be!! LOL

Functions flawlessly, and you can't get a better reputation than for them to be "banned". I'm sure glad Winchester just renamed them and put them in a brass case instead of the nickel cases they were in. Boy, are the bureaucrats stupid!!

------------------
God Bless America!!

Danny
NRA, NAHC, Buckmasters

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.