1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking of getting my first 1911 and i was told to come here for some real answers so here it goes. i dont shoot tournaments or anything like that and im not rich by any means so i have to get the best bang for my buck so in your opinions what is the most accurate 1911 under a grand? ill basically be using it to plink but more so to pound squirrelsand rabbits so accuracy is a big thing. i heard the kimber classic was good when they come out but now i dont hear too many good things about them what do you think? what about the new dan wessons? i heard good things about them but havent even saw any lately. i know my question is chessy and the guns vary from one to the other but which model gives me the best chance for a good shooter. thanks for the help.:)

·
Registered
280 Posts
You will get a lot of different answers to your question.
There are several models which will fill your needs, visit a few shops and gun shows handle several different ones and decide which one just "feels right" and go with it.
I myself have a DW Pointman Seven(stainless,adj.sights)cost me $635.00otd. Looks great shoots better than I can.
I went with DW because of the positive feedback from Mr.Serva on the DW forum,I will definitly be acquiring more of them in the future.
Whatever you buy get the best you can afford,you will be happy you did.
Shoot safe.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
all I can tell you is that you will be doing yourself a great disservice if you do not check out Colts new offerings. Colt , in my opinion does have the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys hope to hear some more opinions. what kind of groups are you guys getting with the dw's and colts? hard to find anything in mags like that they are usually offhand full clips shot at 15 yds im interested in 3 shots at 25 any help would be appreciated. and is 11/4 in groups for 3 shots at 25yds unrealistic for what i want to pay? thanks

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
As far as a production gun for under a grand I think that Kimber has a lot to offer. Budget in the fact that it only comes with one magazine which in my experience have been poor quality. I'm fond of the Custom TLE because it has front strap checkering and night sights but you'll probably want some adjustable sights for your stated purpose. I just picked up a TLE/RL with the light rail and found it to be quite accurate.

A TLE will run about $700, my TLE/RL was $799 and a Custom Target II with adjustable sights should run around $625. The Custom Target II is also available in stainless for about another hundred bucks.

clic pic

For more money still you also might like to look at Kimber's Gold Match models. They have a better and lighter trigger and also the adjustable sights. The blued version is going to be around $950 and the stainless around $1100.

clic pic

I have a photo of a target that I shot at 25 yards with 16 rounds however this was shot freehand with a two handed grip which isn't a very scientific way of determining a pistol's accuracy. I still found it to be pretty accurate for my needs and for the guns cost.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the 1911 forum! :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
I would recommend a basic Colt or Springfield mil-spec, some extra mags of good quality, and a lot of ammo. 1.25" at 25 yards is probably a bit impractical for your price range. However, are you that good with a 1911 that you need 1.25" at 25 yards? Chances are, with a well built 1911, if you miss the target, it's your fault, not the gun's. Thus my recommendation for a no frills, basic 1911, and ammo to practice with. When you get to the point, you can outshoot your gun, there are plenty of pistolsmiths that will outfit you with a match grade barrel, bushing, and fit, that will give you a challenge again.

Be well!

Damian

·
Banned
350 Posts
Damians suggestion is a good one. Get a good basic pistol then build it up better later when you have the money. That way you wont have to sell it and start over.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I'll also have to suggest a NRM (New Roll Mark) Colt Government. They're great pistols, accurate and easy to work with.

A NRM Colt was my first Government, and I have absolutely no regrets about it.

Or, if you have time, be patient and look for a Series I Kimber in good condition. Those are also great pistols and very accurate. Kimbers are great pistols also, but usually w/ the bells and whistles...

The Colt primarily gets my vote :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nothing is guaranteed, but I've seen some very nice groups shot with Kimbers, DW Patriots, Spingfields (V12 model), and Colts. I think you'd be more likely to get excellent accuracy out of Colt Gold Cup or Kimber Gold Match models than the others. Either of those can be found for under 1000, actually anyone selling one of those over 1000 is asking too much.

If you get one that doesn't shoot well replace the bushing with a hand fit one, recut the barrel crown, and add a Dwyer Group Gripper (only if the rear of the barrel exhibits springing). Those mods will make most 1911's really shoot. The best bang for the buck accuracy wise is probably the base Kimbers.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Depending on your location, time of day, barometric pressure, etc...you can get raped on a Kimber if you don't know how to shop. The Dan Wesson 1911 is one to stay away from. If you own one and haven't had problems with their external extractor yet, don't worry...you will. For a baseline 1911, it's hard to beat Springfield's price in most cases, but be prepared to replace the internal parts with something of better quality as soon as you can. You can get pretty good performance out of them for the money you spend. If you can find a Kimber in the same price range, you'll start out with a bit better gun from the factory. When you're ready to take the next step, buy a Nowlin.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
lucky

Suggest used Kimber as best starter; leaves mo' money for"improvements" (yes, you'll be acting like it's a small-block Chevy).

IMNSLE Kimber exhibits the best low-cost accuracy.
Spend more? Many fine choices.....

edit: If I'd started using my advice I'd have saved thousands........but instead I got this pretty cool Caspian. Just a 1911, ay?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Another vote for a Dan Wesson. Search "Ransom Rest" threads as there was an independant test and the DW was the most accurate out of the box. Patriots don't leave factory unless they are 1.25" or less at 50 feet!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think you're on a good course when you decide you want a 1911. They are the most pleasurable guns to shoot in my book.

As you might guess from my handle, I'd recommend a Colt NRM. Check out other names as well to see what turns you on. It's always a kick to see what's out there, and there are fine 1911's made by other folks as well. I've heard good things about Kimbers, and have shot one, and liked it. That being said, to me, there's nothing like a Colt when it comes to 1911's.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My first 1911 was a Kimber Custom II. This is their basic gun and I love it. It is a great gun for the money. My next 1911 is going to be a Springfield loaded, one because I know Springfields are good and I live in MD so I have to buy a gun with a lock :(

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Springfield or colt NRM. Springfield will be cheaper and if it breaks from lots of shooting send it in. Lifetime warranty. Last 3 new colts have been fantastic, costs more but are better on the small parts. I did have to retension the SS milspec extractor [springfield] but it was too tight from factory not loose, and took all of 2 minutes.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Hey ltcoljtf are you really a ret or active Col? Asking as worked under A LTCol James Fisher at FT Polk La. US Army MP. [5th] 1984-85. Apologise for hijack

·
Registered
150 Posts
If my life depened on it, I needed the gun to go bang, and the round goes where I needed it, my choice is my Kimber Custom TLE

·
Registered
22 Posts
As a few others have said, take a look at the Kimbers. If you don't care for a checkered front strap (I don't, it hurts my fingers) get the Stainless II (starting point for Kimber) as it has all of the goodies (get the gun in stainless with the night sights as only options)right from the start. If you buy a lesser gun you will spend more to "upgrade" it. The Frame and slide are matched (and serial #) and you get match barrel/bushing as standard. Go get 4 McCormick Mag 8 magazines and you are in business. The steel frame will allow you to shoot all that you want for as long as you want. Stay away from alloy frames for the first one. Regards

·
Registered
252 Posts
nirvana91 said:
im thinking of getting my first 1911 and i was told to come here for some real answers so here it goes. i dont shoot tournaments or anything like that and im not rich by any means so i have to get the best bang for my buck so in your opinions what is the most accurate 1911 under a grand? ill basically be using it to plink but more so to pound squirrelsand rabbits so accuracy is a big thing. i heard the kimber classic was good when they come out but now i dont hear too many good things about them what do you think? what about the new dan wessons? i heard good things about them but havent even saw any lately. i know my question is chessy and the guns vary from one to the other but which model gives me the best chance for a good shooter. thanks for the help.:)
Most accurate? I don't know, but I own two Kimber 1911s and both are very accurate in my opinion.
My TLE has been very reliable, and I enjoy it very much, but as far as accuracy is concerned my Kimber Target II in 9mm is one hell of an accurate gun. I can shoot the center out of bullseyes at 10m, but beyond that my skills fail to do the gun justice.
Unfortunately it dosen't feed all ammo reliably, and hates Win. White Box.
I like the adjustable sights as they make zeroing very easy. They are large, and for me very clear and easy to use. Since you intend this to be a range gun/plinker adjustible sights may be more useful to you than night sights.
I find the SS finish atractive and easy to maintain.
For a plinker it's a really great gun. I bought it for my wife as her first hangun and she very much enjoys shooting it, along with my step-daughter, friends, and everyone who has shot it.

In my opinion a Target II in .45 should be a great beginners 1911.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts