1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt is back in business. At least as far as the gun magazines go. We all know they never went anywhere. But finally the gun rags are admitting it. I just got a magazine yesterday that called "The Complete Book of the Combat 1911". But in it there is an article about whats available from who currently. Colt is actually listed in there and they even got the current models offered correct. I about hit the floor when I saw it. But its actually there! About time!

[This message has been edited by Big Block (edited 11-24-2001).]

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
Colt must have offered a free gun to the author.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I just got my January issue of G&A Handguns. The first article"Springfield Loaded Model" by Bob Campbell, in the first line states,"Colt is offically kaput if not for good,certainly in the near future". Whats up with this guy? Does he know something we don't?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally posted by quantico:
I saw that and wondered what the deal was. Is the 1991 still available??? what is the going price for one...???? thanks
Yes, I've seen em on www.gunbroker.com for $500 +/- $20.00

[This message has been edited by steelerfan (edited 11-24-2001).]

·
Registered
469 Posts
My dad just got me that "The Complete Book of the Combat 1911" magazine, it's really cool! Good war stories and other articles, too.

Don't believe ANYTHING you hear about Colt anymore. I just bought a brand new 1991 for $529 today at a gun show, there were PLENTY of them there. Try to find one for under $500 if you can, but the price I paid seems to be the standard around here for now.

I've got nothing against Springfield, but I hate guys that plug them at Colt's expense. I handled a Springfield Mil-Spec today; didn't like it as much as the Colt. Blockier front strap (not as curved as a Colt or Kimber), slanted grip serrations (incorrect on a mil-spec gun), and oh yeah, it's made in Brazil. That's why it's a little less expensive. Anyway don't let magazines influence your thinking too much. Only trust us guys at the forum.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
They should sell some of these gun magazines at the stands next to the check out at the grocery stores with the other gossip rags. I have never, ever, read a bad review in some of these things.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Colt probably won't ever go out of business per se, not with the government contracts they have. However, it may be that Colt drops its civilian marketed products. Discussion just like this one reflect one clear aspect and that is if Colt is doing so good, then why do people think otherwise? Obviously, Colt is not doing much to provide a positive/healthy company image to the public.

If so good, then why can't they keep their own web page up and running with current information. Actually, it seems fine for now, but on the last two years it has had problems. If so good, why did they stop making their higher quality and full of features XS line for a while and replace it with the no frills XSE line? If so good, then why do supposed Colt people like the mythical Cindy not communicate with 1911Forum, but instead only send messages to an individual member who is to then post the message on the forum? If Colt is doing so good, why can't anyone ever get a catalog from them? For two years now, their web site has said that none are available.

Colt may not be dead, but Colt doesn't appear to be all that healthy either, not where the civilian market is concerned.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I've been fighting these pathetic "dying Colt" stories for months, but Double Naught Spy raises perhaps the best point of all: why has Colt refused to do anything substantive to address their marketing problem?!

Consider it: No print ads. No regular, reliable dealer updates. No attention to their corporate web site (which is lackluster at best where product presentation is concerned). No clear definition of what is/is not available from day to day. No relevant press releases. No promotional materials. They don't even have a printed catalog available for crying out loud!! Who can really blame the naysayers for their pessimism?

Colt is producing some of the best 1911s they have ever made, but these are hardly the hallmarks of an industry leader, nor do they inspire consumer confidence. What are we to make of all of this?

Where production 1911s are concerned, I am among Colt's biggest and most loyal fans, but these are inexcusable -- and very frustrating -- oversights. NOW is the time for Hartford to reclaim the lost ground and launch an aggressive, focused campaign to recapture their civilian market.

General Keys ... are you listening, Sir?

Chuck

·
Registered
274 Posts
Colt may be able to sell everything they can produce now.

If this is the case, advertising would be a waste of money, creating a demand that Colt could not fill.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Being that word of mouth is the best advertising, I think Colt is doing fine. Their products are outstanding.

Why bother advertising when word of mouth works so much better? Especially if they couldnt keep up with the demand, and make quality suffer. You pay more attention to what someone says about what they bought rather than what an ad says anyway, right?
Have you seen a Chip McCormick ad lately? I haven't. No official website either, last time I checked.

Colt can keep being the quiet stealthy high quality company for now.....And let the word of mouth spread far and wide.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I know a dealer who says that Colt's quality is not as good as Springfield's. Well I have a Springfield full size and just bought a Colt Gold Cup Trophy. I'm impressed with the Colt and which one is better? Colt wins in my opinon and I plan on trying to get a Combat Commander or Government model in XS- if I can find one. I'll still keep the Springfield though. I like the best of both worlds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts