1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running a Colt officers stainless enhanced for about a year, It was always 100%, I replaced the plug with A clark drop in, keeping the stock dual springs, all was OKAY !! Then out of nowhere the slide decieded to lock open when in use,MM, I went and detail stripped it, Replaced all springs with stock ones, and an extra power firing pin spring, Cleaned the 3 mags which have always been perfect,,
I had it out today, mag 1 in the middle, slide locked open 1/2 way through mag, Okay, finished mag, all went well,
Mag 2 again in middle, FTF, pushed 230 ball nose down into feed ramp, Cleared, and ran rest of mag ok,
Mag 3 all okay
The only part which has me concerned it the extended slide release, It has been there for the last 1K rounds since I have had the gun, But now I suspect it?????
Is there anything else I am missing?
I hate to see a good gun go bad!
Please help!
Peter.:(:confused:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Maybe your thumb is pushing up on the extended slide release during recoil and you don't realize it. Try holding a little different or swap out the Slide Release

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only seems to lock open early with one of the mags, I have them numbered so I know what the issues are, I am sorry for not mentioning it before, On the mag which locks up, I installed a wilson combat follower thinking that it may correst the issue.
It didnt

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I would call Clark's and ask them if their replacement Officers ACP recoil spring plug really is a "drop-in" part with no machining of the inside of the recoil spring tunnel required. If, as I suspect, that machining is required, you can send them your upper (slide, barrel, recoil spring, etc.) ONLY (do NOT send the frame!) via USPS Second Day Priority Mail for about $6.00. The machine work should be about $25.00, tops.
Oh, one other thing: Put the original slide stop back in.

Regards,
Andy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts