1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy who is looking for a Colt 380 Mustang for a pocket gun. Can anyone provide a picture? Also, how much are they going for at your local gun dealer? Does Colt still make these?

If not the Mustang, what would you suggest as an everyday pocket carry gun that is 380 or larger?

Thanks

------------------
"I don't want to use a 2 million dollar bomb to bomb a 10 dollar tent and hit a camel in the ass. . ."

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
S&W J frame 38+P with good bullets.

------------------
"Even the most normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats"
Mencken

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I carry a Kel-Tec 9mm in a Lou Alessi pocket holster. It's not my first choice for a carry pistol, but it sure is easy to hide. geegee

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a stainless mustang pocketlite and I think its great. Kind of a baby 1911. I was given mine for Christmas last year and couldn't be happier with it. My wife paid about $400 for NIB. Colt isn't currently making them, but I have heard rummor that they plan to bring them back. Here is a link to a pic of the stainless/Alloy version.
http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/0800/856.htm

Gunner

I have a buddy who is looking for a Colt 380 Mustang for a pocket gun. Can anyone provide a picture? Also, how much are they going for at your local gun dealer? Does Colt still make these?

If not the Mustang, what would you suggest as an everyday pocket carry gun that is 380 or larger?

Thanks

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I never fail to see one at the gun shows, going for about $400 blue,,$500 stainless. I've been carrying one for about 3 years now whenever lack of clothing forbids me from carrying a .45.(I live in Florida). Nice concealable piece if a little underpowered. I'n not comfortable with the single safety so I don't carry chambered,( please, let's not get into that again!). Oh yeah,,you need to replace the plastic factory guide rod and spring with a stainless, and also the trigger. You can get them from Brownells. The directions on the new trigger say you can do it your self, but I wouldn't unless you really know what your doing.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The .32 is a fairly puny round, but I recently fondled a Kel-Tec in that caliber. It fit nicely in my shirt pocket. Put on your guayabera, break the gun's outline with a folded piece of typing paper, button the pocket, and off you go!

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Your friend may want to look at the Pocketlite version of the Mustang. The slide is stainless and the frame alloy. Results in a dry weight of 12.5oz vs the ~16oz of the steel version.

I paid $405 for mine last year it was LNIB and I found it online. Doing some quick searches shows them ~ 450 to 590.

I sent mine off to Scott, McDougall & Assoc http://www.colt380.com/ for a PCP. Here's a picture:

-- Chuck

·
Registered
323 Posts
I carry a Kel Tec P32 just about everywhere. It weighs about the same as my wallet and isn't as big and bulky.

So for those many occasions when I can't actually carry a Gun, the Kel Tec goes instead.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow $400+. That was a bit of a surprize. I was thinking $350. How do you carry it, cocked and locked, hammer down on a live one or cond 3? Also would you carry a gun like that in your pocket?

I too keep trying to push him towards that new scandium Jframe 357mag. I know that you may not agree with a 357 mag in a light gun and I'm not sure I do either, but my SS 357 weighs me down a bit!
The other gun I keep suggesting is the NAA Guardian 380. Heck, I may need one myself!

Anybody shoot/own the Seacamp 380? Is it better than the NAA? Why?

------------------
"I don't want to use a 2 million dollar bomb to bomb a 10 dollar tent and hit a camel in the ass. . ."

·
Registered
371 Posts
A J-Frame is an excellent choice for pocket carry. Kramer makes a great pocket holster for it.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> I carry a Kel-Tec P-40, in a PCS pocket holster as my secondary weapon everyday. It conceals really well in a pair of black jeans. It is not a very fast draw, but it is there if something happens to my primary weapon. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.
--------------------
<><> Raspy <><>

·
Registered
379 Posts
I really like my Taurus M85ULT. It is +P rated. I carry 125g Hydroshocks in it. I had a steel Mustang. It was heavy. I didn't like carrying cocked and locked and hated carrying a gun with an empty chamber. I sold it to a friend and bought the little 38 the same day. I miss the Mustang because it's like a mini-1911 and really fun to shoot. However, when it comes to cc or woods wear I'm really glad I got the M85ULT.

tjg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts