1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone recently gotten a keltec p11 and if so how does it function? Is this pistol small enough to carry in a pocket? Are there any recommendations for a gun to carry in a pocket with about the same stopping power?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've had a P-32 for a while and have been happy with it. This little pup is just plain fun to shoot. (That's why a lot of us started shooting to begin with!) I keep going back and forth about having it in my pocket, though. For the most part lately, I feel like anything less than a .38 snub is just not enough gun to STOP an assault, (and the .38 just barely!). My feelings along these lines have been that a .22, .25, .32 or .380 are OK for a bad guy to START a confrontation - nobody in their right mind wants to be shot with ANY caliber gun. But I carry a handgun to STOP such a confrontation should I find myself so involved. I don't mean to start a "stopping power" thread, I know there aren't any guarantees, even with a .40 or .45, but I can't help thinking sometimes that if I need to shoot in self defense, a BG may not even know he's been hit with the .32 until he has shot back! Or he may shoot back before running away injured just because he's mad that I shot him with the .32!

The .32 is a great gun for fun shooting. With more pop than a .22 but not enough to discourage a woman or child (or ME!) from wanting to shoot more.

As to your original question-(sorry for the rant), the 9mm version is fun to shoot but I find the Polymer Glocks and Kahrs just feel a little better in my hand and have been more reliable and accurate in my limited shooting with them. I personally feel they are all a little big for pocket carry. The .38 snub carries better in a pocket because of it's curvy shape.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have a S&W Lightweight Bodyguard (model 38) in 38 Special that I sometimes carry in my pocket. Small enough to draw easily and light enough to be comfortable. Loaded with 38 special +P ammo it will do the job.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'v got a S&W 640!
Ideal pocket gun:D

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
None better than a J-frame S&W in a soft pocket holster, IMNSHO.
I have both the 642 (.38 Sp, aluminum alloy frame) and 340PD ("Scandium" version, even lighter, shoots .38 Sp and .357 Mag).

Either one will serve the purpose of BUG/pocket gun well and be easy and lightweight to carry as well as readily concealable.

ANY J-frame carrying 5 rounds of .38 Sp or better will usually be much more effective than ANY .32ACP, given that POI is the same with both.

Maybe the newer Kel-Tek 3AT in .380 ACP would be a decent alternative, but you're still stuck with very lightweight bullets (80-100gr), while in .38 Sp. you can routinely carry 158gr for better penetration.

I won't carry the mouse guns, but I always have a J-frame with me.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> cliffjr,,,I've got a P-11...I've not
had any malfunctions with it...I only
put 400-500 rounds through it before
I bought the .40 S&W top end...

Since the .40 was on it I've put another
800-900 rounds through it...Again with
no malfunctions...

I use it as a back up gun,,,either in an
ankle holster or a pocket holster...

It conceals well in the pocket holster...

===============================

<><> Raspy <><>

·
Registered
87 Posts
I own a P-11. It is very well liked by most owners. Most people that like them modify them a lot. I made many modifications one of which resulted in light strikes. I since fixed the mod and it is once again dependable.

The only thing I don't really like about it is the loooonnnnngggg trigger pull and heavy pull. I did put a 9lb spring on it instead of 10lb and it is better. Other reason why I am getting rid of it is because it has too much kick for range shooting. I want something more accurate and more full-size.

Otherwise it is a well-liked gun.

My $.02

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The P11, Kahr MK9, and Kahr PM9 are all really nice pocket/BU guns. The P11 is a little thick, but not much more so than the Kahrs and holds more ammo.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
My suggestion goes for either the Sig 232 or the Smaller Kahrs.

For some odd reason the Glock 26/27 and XD Sub-compacts are looking quite good too, although marginally larger than a pocket gun.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd recommend the KAHR PM9 or PM40. The PM9 is an excellent back up gun. If you wanted a heavier round the PM40 will suit you better. The PM40 you will have to work with because of the recoil -- it's stronger than the PM9. If you're willing to go for the longer grip the KAHR P Series in Stainless may be more suitable. The width of the 9mm is = .90" and the .40 caliber is = .94" minor differences.

Personally I don't think the Kel-Tec is as reliable as the KAHR PM Series. I test fired them and I didn't care for it. It didn't feel as "substantial" as the KAHR but then that's my impression of the Kel-Tec.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Beretta Tomcat

is im my pocket all the time. It may make 'em mad if I soot them, but then again it's gonna make 'em mad 7 times... two in the face, one in the throat, three in the chest and one below the belt buckle. I don't care who you are, that will lower your competitive spirit.

·
Registered
335 Posts
cliffjr said:
Has anyone recently gotten a keltec p11 and if so how does it function? Is this pistol small enough to carry in a pocket? Are there any recommendations for a gun to carry in a pocket with about the same stopping power?
While I do not own one personally. Some of my students do, and I have had the opportunity to shoot them a fair amount. While I do not feel that they are the greatest gun in the worl of pocket pistols, I will say that it was fun to shoot and did not have any malfunctions when I fired it.

As for stopping power, there is nothing wrong with the 32acp. The secret is in the placement of the shot.

In short, I am thinking of picking one up.

Just my thoughts.

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC
www.wa-protective.com

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Re: Beretta Tomcat

31&Out said:
is im my pocket all the time. It may make 'em mad if I soot them, but then again it's gonna make 'em mad 7 times... two in the face, one in the throat, three in the chest and one below the belt buckle. I don't care who you are, that will lower your competitive spirit.
It always cracks me up to see someone say what they are going to do in a shooting. Like the other guy is going to stand there like a static target and let it all go your way. What are you going to do if after missing your first shot because you were so rattled, he whacks you upside the head with a brick. Have your practiced shooting from the ground with blood in your eyes?:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Lord knows I'm extremely lucky to have survived several shootings both On and Off Duty! When the situation presents itself and the bullets begin flying - it's a whole other ballgame not like in the movies! Some people feel everything is in extremely S L O W motion. Your heart is POUNDING - Your Hands will most likely TREMBLE from a combination of FEAR and/or Running - Your not going to be the Ultimate Marksman - No Way!!!!! Especially if you've NEVER trained or been exposed to a live fire situation this is the real test of ones' metel. I'm the type that after such a trauma I'm affected days later - then I think Gee I could've been a statistic!

Most CCW holders when encountered have different reactions - some are so nervous they can't steady the gun, because of this it's easy to miss the target!

If you leave yourself W I D E open you'll end up the target, especially if someone is firing at you! If this is the case the first commandment is to SEEK COVER!

You're deluding yourself if you think someone is ACTUALLY going to Stand STOCK STILL and let you shoot at them!

·
Registered
112 Posts
my ppk and .38 snubby been in my pocket for a lot of years. only a real experience will tell the final tale but i've not felt uncomfortble with either.
blessings

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've had a P-11 for a couple of years. It has been reliable from the gitgo. Trigger is double action only and long but can be mastered. Newer P-11s, within the last couple of years (including mine), have the 8.5lb spring, which is an improvement over the original 10lb spring.

I got an Uncle Mike's #1 IWB holster for mine. If your pants are a little baggy, the P-11 + holster will fit in your pocket, but I wouldn't want to carry that way for extended periods. If you have pants with cargo pockets, it will fit just fine.

The Uncle Mike's IWB holster is OK, but retention is not as solid as I would like it to be when it is worn in an IWB fashion. A form fitted Kydex holster would be better for regular IWB carry.

If you get a P-11, order a grip extension for the magazine to accomodate your little finger. It helps.

·
Registered
146 Posts
why, yes....

as a matter of fact I _do_ have experience shooting from the ground with blood in my eyes -- that's how my second tour of duty in Viet Nam ended.

Why do you ask?

PS - It also ended my mititary career, so I went into the civilian side of Gov'n't work.... 31 years and then I retired (that's where my "handle" comes from).

1 - 20 of 52 Posts