1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking it would be fun to send a Springfield model to the Custom Shop for upgrading. What is a good model to start from? I was thinking a stainless TRP. I will be looking to do some high end upgrades to turn it into a bada$$ pistol (even more bada$$ than it already is)

Have other owners been happy with the SACS work?

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I recommend a Mil-Spec.

Better to start from scratch on the grip safety and a Mil Spec doesn't have that TACTICAL stamped on it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Mil-spec for sure!

My buddy just got his Colt rail gun 1911 back from sacs and damn is that thing fine!!!!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yes , replicant don't listen to those other guys, it will be fun to send a TRP back to the custom shop for work to make it even more badass.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Mil spec, or just order a Custom Carry with what you want in a pistol. SACS is top notch.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
There really isn't a "wrong" choice. I would recommend a Mil-Spec, Loaded, or Range Officer. Just depends on what look/style gun you want. You can certainly turn a TRP into a really sweet custom pistol. However, with "TRP" and "Tactical" stamped on it, it would always jump out as a TRP with a little more love in it. In my opinion, it wouldn't quite have that "custom" look that the Mil-Spec, Loaded, or Range Officer would have. Those models don't have their model name branded on them, so when they get customized, they simply look like a custom Springfield. I prefer that.

Ordering a gun directly from the Custom Shop to your specs would probably be the best choice, though.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Here is a perfect example for a classic SACS restoration. Overdo it though and it will just look silly. Yes this is a blued model.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Stainless Loaded. About a month ago I received a NIB Stainless loaded.
So, I made a list, called SACS, and now it's in their hands.

FS Checkering Colt style, w/ high undercut trigger guard
non ils MSH
solid trigger
ck barrel fit, and fit thick flange bushing
blend frame at slide
additional carry bevel
HD Trijicon front sight
FBI nub slide stop flush
smooth and dress magwell chamfer
GI guide rod, long nose plug to match bushing
heel round and blend MSH, without frame mod.
Harrison Extreme Duty hammer, sear, disco
4 lb. trigger
This was impulse. Hope it works out. Not much into stainless, but
Dave at SACS is excited to do the work, and tells me I'm gonna love it.
:D

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
The Custom Shop did my Mil Spec and it's very nice. In my case, having the front strap checkered held things up as they sent it out. I Would get a price and time quote from both them and Alchemy Custom, also excellent work. They're both in the same town, Geneseo, Il.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Nice work mlin. What was done to your beauty? Just today I was looking at the custom shop list regarding my Mil-Spec.
SACS Milspec custom
- SA NM match barrel & bushing
- Novak rear sight (plain) & SA front sight (serrated)
- Front cocking serration
- King's ambi thumb safety (I provided the parts)
- SA tool steel hammer/sear
- SA beavertail grip safety
- SA checkered MSH (no ILS)
- SA speed trigger 4.5 lbs pull
- Parkerized finish

Very similar to a Loaded that I have. but the hand fitted parts at custom shop are much better than stock Loaded.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I sent my loaded back for some work, and I rate the SACS 5 star.

·
Registered
32 Posts
SACS Milspec custom
- SA NM match barrel & bushing
- Novak rear sight (plain) & SA front sight (serrated)
- Front cocking serration
- King's ambi thumb safety (I provided the parts)
- SA tool steel hammer/sear
- SA beavertail grip safety
- SA checkered MSH (no ILS)
- SA speed trigger 4.5 lbs pull
- Parkerized finish

Very similar to a Loaded that I have. but the hand fitted parts at custom shop are much better than stock Loaded.
Thanks for the reply

1 - 15 of 15 Posts