1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with ID.
Colt revolver Officers Model Match cal. 38 special 6" barrel.
SN 9268XX
Adj. rear site-big front site. "Front looks like something off a rifle.
Wide hammer.
Big walnut grips with Colt silver horse on both sides of the grips.

I don't know if something is wrong with it. You can not shoot it double action.
You can shoot it single action. Like it came that way.

Thanks,
40ford

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
That gun could be special ordered in single action only.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Need help with ID.
Colt revolver Officers Model Match cal. 38 special 6" barrel.
SN 9268XX
It was manufactured in 1960. Should have full checkered stocks with silver medallion. Give us a photo! I think the Colt OMM is the best deal in Colt revolvers right now. Prices are still within reason and they have the same action as the Python, early Troopers, and Model 357.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Earlier Colt Target grips themselves are worth hundreds of dollars.
If they're the First Type fully checkered grips, in excess of $300....AND UP.

A popular conversion for formal Target shooters was as a single action-only.
These could be special ordered from the factory, but most of them were altered by owners by simply removing the double action strut from the front of the hammer.
A genuine Colt factory conversion actually altered the hammer by machining.

The Officer's Models began in 1904 and was made until 1907. It was based on the old Colt New Army & Navy, first made in 1889.
In 1908 a totally new version was brought out based on the Colt Army Special.
It was made in various versions up until 1969.

In the days when the revolver was "King of the Matches" the Colt Officer's Models held all the records and were used by the top shooters.
When in good condition and proper adjustment, and when loaded with Mid-Range Match ammo an Officer's Model will shoot very close to the Python in accuracy, and will often equal it.
Before the Python arrived the Officer's Models were usually Colt's top of the line premium quality revolvers.

If you want to spend the money for a Colt Archive letter, the letter will tell you if yours is a factory conversion or after market.
Or you can simply cock the hammer and look at the front of the hammer to see if the lugs that hold a double action strut are there.
A genuine Colt factory conversion will up the value considerably.

If it's an after market conversion you can usually convert it back to full SA-DA by installing a double action strut, strut spring, and strut retaining pin.

·
Registered
13,154 Posts
Please give us a Range Report on it after you go shooting.

& I expect Python Fever to have some increased-value effect on these as well.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I was zeroing my 1951 Officers Model Special for an upcoming Distinguished Revolver competition and saw this pattern while shooting Rem 38 Spl 158gr LRN target.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
My Officer's Model Special was made in 1951. It's SAO, a little beat up but I only paid $175 for it in 2010.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nice shootin', Tex.
Thanks. Years ago I worked at a stable. The horses were always messing with me. I think this pony wanted to mess with me, show me it could run better than me.

The previous owner, a 2600 club member and DR shooter said it was a tack driver. Whoever assembled it at the factory put a lot of heart and pride into it. It has a awesome single stage trigger. I measured mine before competition and it was 2.6 pounds, just above Center Fire limits, but feels like less. The big wide spur hammer feels natural for thumbing back in Timed and Rapid Fire. In Slow Fire all ten shots were on the repair center, just not as nicely grouped as in the picture.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts