1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying that I really enjoy shooting my new SS ProC HDII, at the range this thing makes me look like a better shooter than I am, or thought I was.

Now to the questions:

1) Book says replace recoil spring at 800rds. I have been to the range 3 times and have 850 thru it. Yesterday at the range, after 200 rounds(ball amo) it wouldn't go fully into battery, I'd have to give a little nudge with my thumb. Is 200rds pushing it for reliability for a Kimber Pro Carry between cleanings? Is the recoil spring getting week already?

2) In Brownells catalog #56, can someone tell me which Wolf spring is the correct replacement for a Pro Carry model? So many choices/types. I will get a dozen or so, so I want to make sure I get the right replacement.

3) Will a Ed Brown slide stop or extractor fit in the Kimber, it apears that these are a few things one needs to have around?

Thanks for your time, any onther sugestions will be appreciated,
Later...

PS. I have had more FTF/FTE with this gun than anything I have ever shot, except maybe a .22. I am shooting reloads most of the time, but it doesn't seem to matter new/reloads. I have been having fun getting it broken in and not quite ready to start worrying about reliability just yet, Not sure but it may be quite reliable for the firts 100 or so rounds.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
I think that your pistols current failure ratio in unacceptable. From my Micro Milspec, to my Ed Brown, I have never had such a problem with reliability.

According to Kimber's website, you should use a 22lb recoil spring.

Yes, an Ed Brown slidestop, and extractor could be fitted to your pistol.

Just how many failures have you had?

Be well!

Damian

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
The Wolff spring is number 49022, a full diameter officer's spring at 22#. The spring replacement time also depends on the ammo you shoot, not just the number of rounds. I primarily shoot light loads and get about 1100 rounds between changes in my Pro CDP. You could try a spring change and see it that helps. I'd also take a look at the extractor tension. Some Kimber extractors don't hold tension very well. They aren't MIM but don't seem to be spring steel either. If its the extractor, you may want to think about the Brown Hardcore or Wilson Bulletproof.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts