Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
13,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a new Armscor / RIA .

A Realtor I used to work with called me last night, because she knows I'm a Gun Guy. Sadly her husband just passed away. I think he bought this gun in response to the Covid / Riots mess because it's very new. He was a older veteran so I suppose that's why he chose a 1911.

Anyhow she said she would probably never use it so come get it, no charge. + a box of 50 too, of course. The gun is unfired.

I don't have it now (so no pics) because it's in Gun Jail for 10 days at the FFL per CA law, But I'll be able to play with it a bit after May 6.

It seems to be one rung up the food chain from the basic GI model as the sights are of a larger, modern size & it has the ugly skeletal trigger. Not sure what the official name of the model is.

Yes, I know it's not a high end gun, or a Colt 1911 (still looking for one) but for free I think it's great. I'm especially pleased that she remembered, and called, me after all these years

Very nice. She refused my offer of a free dinner but I will reach out again after she's recovered a bit.

I've heard that these aren't fancy but are still good shooters. I should find out soon enough.

·
Administrator
74,080 Posts
Ten years ago my brother-in-law's father died, and I learned he had had some guns that my BiL needed to figure out a way to get rid of (he's not a gun person nor is anyone else in his or my family). I told him to let me know what he had, because I would probably be interested in them depending on what they were. Months later I learned that he simply took them all to a pawn shop, and I would imagine he probably also got next to nothing for them since he knows absolutely nothing about guns. When I asked my sister why in blue blazes he didn't take me up on my offer, her answer was "because you already have enough guns".

Family. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ten years ago my brother-in-law's father died, and I learned he had had some guns that my BiL needed to figure out a way to get rid of (he's not a gun person nor is anyone else in his or my family). I told him to let me know what he had, because I would probably be interested in them depending on what they were. Months later I learned that he simply took them all to a pawn shop, and I would imagine he probably also got next to nothing for them since he knows absolutely nothing about guns. When I asked my sister why in blue blazes he didn't take me up on my offer, her answer was "because you already have enough guns".

Family. :rolleyes:
So, instead they put it in the pipeline where some scumbag might get their paws on it. Geeesh. But I have no trouble believing it. I was in Auto finance with Wells Fargo for 25 years and had many friends in the car business, I let family know that if they needed a car to ;let me know and I would arrange things for them. Only ones to take me up were daughter and son. So I get it

·
Registered
519 Posts
Most of what I have read & been told about them is positive. There are a couple of fellows on another forum I frequent that take pleasure in shooting full power 10mm at the range. From time to time they post about what pistols they have torn up & what pistols stand up to the abuse. One of them posted a while back about how impressed he was with a RIA 1911 he had been shooting a lot.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
It's a new Armscor / RIA .
I've heard that these aren't fancy but are still good shooters. I should find out soon enough.
Of four R.I.A.s I’ve owned and shot, none has given the 1st problem. They’ve all run well. One is unusually accurate to boot. None failed to live up to 1911 design goals. All solid performers.

A fifth, purchased as a hunting side-arm, I recently sold unfired. It’s role was taken over by a Dan Wesson “Valor” that’s more flexible ... and the current market was right.

Reactions: RobClarke

·
Registered
398 Posts
Free = Best Price. Enjoy.

Reactions: Levian

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'd take a free Rock Island any day and count my self fortunate! Especially a 1911!! Honestly any free gun is something to get excited over. They all have something to offer; collecting, shooting, selling, trading, etc!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
If it's one step up from a GI model it's an A1 FS Tactical. A fine gun but you'll probably want to get better mags than the ACT mag it came with. You also might want to do a full tear down and clean to make sure there's no packing oil left in it. That stuff is a rust preventative, not a lube and it was originally filled with it. Mine has run flawlessly with everything I put in it since 2011.

·
Registered
24,420 Posts
If it's one step up from a GI model it's an A1 FS Tactical. A fine gun but you'll probably want to get better mags than the ACT mag it came with. You also might want to do a full tear down and clean to make sure there's no packing oil left in it. That stuff is a rust preventative, not a lube and it was originally filled with it. Mine has run flawlessly with everything I put in it since 2011.
I would feel pretty bad if I did not compensate her somehow. Just sayin.

·
Administrator
74,080 Posts
So, instead they put it in the pipeline where some scumbag might get their paws on it. Geeesh. But I have no trouble believing it. I was in Auto finance with Wells Fargo for 25 years and had many friends in the car business, I let family know that if they needed a car to ;let me know and I would arrange things for them. Only ones to take me up were daughter and son. So I get it
My relatives have the typical and moronic anti-gun belief that the more guns I have, the greater the chance I might hurt myself or others. I don't think the odds increase much after two guns since that's the maximum number I could possibly shoot myself with at the same time.

·
Administrator
74,080 Posts
As gun guys we naturally assume that a gift of a firearm is something significant enough to warrant compensation. What we often don't realize (and what my family demonstrated) is that to some people a gun left in their possession is a liability, and you're actually doing them a favor just taking it off their hands. As much as she misses her husband she clearly wanted that evil thing out of her home.

Reactions: 1EyedTanker

·
Registered
24,420 Posts
USMM guy ----------- I totally agree. But she rebuffed my efforts. So as I said, I will give her time to heal a bit more then try again. If necessary, I can always donate some $ to a Lab rescue charity. She has a Labrador.
I fully understand. And my comment was not intended as any sort of ethical judgement. Just how I would feel in a similar situation. A donation to a worthwhile charity sounds like a good way to go in a situation like this.

·
Registered
24,420 Posts
As gun guys we naturally assume that a gift of a firearm is something significant enough to warrant compensation. What we often don't realize (and what my family demonstrated) is that to some people a gun left in their possession is a liability, and you're actually doing them a favor just taking it off their hands. As much as she misses her husband she clearly wanted that evil thing out of her home.
No beef with this! I can very easily visualize this. But I have a hard time with personally realizing a material gain from somebody that is in a compromised state without some compensation. Even if it is towards a charitable endeavor. Sort of a win win situation for everybody. If it goes that way. Just sayin.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Wonderful surprise. Sorry about the unhappy circumstances. It went to a good home.

I like RIA’s. Good gun. I use them as base guns. The recent ones have been good starting points.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My relatives have the typical and moronic anti-gun belief that the more guns I have, the greater the chance I might hurt myself or others. I don't think the odds increase much after two guns since that's the maximum number I could possibly shoot myself with at the same time.
Not unless you count blowing your head off with a shotgun by your big toe like Kirk Cobain supposedly did? lol
Where again was Courtney at the time? haha

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.