1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
dsk ------ No on the Evil Gun thing. As I said in my original post, her quote to me was "I will probably never shoot it" NOT that she wanted the spawn of Satan exorcised from her home.

The reason she knew I was a Gun Guy in the first place is because we had spoken about shooting when we worked together at Century 21. She had learned, as a kid, plinking with her Dad & shooting clays tossed with one of those hand-launchers, at the dump. She still has that .410 bolt action, from her father.

But now she's (my guess) around 80 years old and maybe 100-110 pounds. She's not interested in shooting a .45. She also giving away his truck for the same reason, her car suits her needs. Thus has no use for a Silverado.

Still, what you said is true in SOME cases. Folks get stuck with guns that they very much do not want at their homes. Sometimes because of irrational fears (Bad Guns) or sometimes because of practical concerns, like no way to store them safely, they have small kids, a troubled teen, an Alky or suicidal family member, whatever. Or sometimes because they are moving to a retirement home where they are not allowed. That's how I got my Spreewerks P38.

But in this case it was practical. She simply does not want or need this particular gun.

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
dsk ------ No on the Evil Gun thing. As I said in my original post, her quote to me was "I will probably never shoot it" NOT that she wanted the spawn of Satan exorcised from her home.

The reason she knew I was a Gun Guy in the first place is because we had spoken about shooting
She had learned, as a kid, plinking with her Dad & shooting clays tossed with one of those hand-launchers, at the dump. She still has that .410 bolt action, from her father.

But now she's (my guess) around 80 years old and maybe 100-110 pounds. She's not interested in shooting a .45. She also giving away his truck for the same reason, her car suits her needs. Thus has no use for a Silverado.

Still, what you said is true in SOME cases. Folks get stuck with guns that they very much do not want at their homes. Sometimes because of irrational fears (Bad Guns) ...
But in this case it was practical. She simply does not want or need this particular gun.
BTDT:

Remington Rand #202XXXX

... and it worked well for everybody.

Unsolicited advice warning:

Well, if receiving it as a gift bothers you, you could give her a .22LR*. It would worry me at least a little for a friend not to have a handgun. However, these days when I hear myself fussing over receiving a gift that’s too much, I realize that I’ve fallen behind the giver in how important we each see the relationship. Then must hurry to catch up. One way to is wait a decent interval and then give her a .22LR: “It bothered me thinking of you not having a handgun, and I want you to have this. [ Here’s why this pistol is important to me, that made me think of giving it to you ... ]”

Now if you do that part in “[ ... ]”, try not to cry ... I wouldn’t be able not to.

*- or a 9mm or .380 etc.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
My first 1911 was an RIA. It did have some hiccups during the 500 round break in period, but once it smoothed out it went several thousand rounds without giving me any grief. The only reason I no longer have that pistol was a friend offered a Spanish Matador 10 Ga goose gun in trade, and I do like things that make big bangs. I've always wanted to pick up another RIA to replace it, just haven't gotten around to doing so just yet.

The circumstances of it's acquisition are unfortunate, but a free gun is hard to beat. Hopefully it shoots well.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
My relatives have the typical and moronic anti-gun belief that the more guns I have, the greater the chance I might hurt myself or others. I don't think the odds increase much after two guns since that's the maximum number I could possibly shoot myself with at the same time.
Oh, come on now! With some string and a little creative engineering...

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Nitro 45-------- I said "suppose" ------------because I don't know for sure, but her/their place has a lot of military type photos on display. It's just my guess that he chose it, over Striker Plastic, because of familiarity.

tht_usa. A gift of .22 would be a nice gesture but I doubt it would be of use to her. She wasn't keeping this .45 by her bed and she doesn't keep her 410 at the ready either. Some people have our mindset & some don't.

And NO, I won't criticize her for that, although many guys here would gladly call her a fool for not having a gun at the ready. Guys who, themselves, are carrying around an extra 40+ pounds of weight and drink booze & maybe even smoke too. Which are FAR FAR more likely to shorten their life than any risk posed by home invaders.

So we think it's crazy to not keep a gun handy, and many other people think WE are crazy for engaging in poor health practices.

This is just an example of some folks having different priorities when striving for towards the same result: A longer life.

As I said earlier, she's about 80ish in age & looks about 110 pounds.at 5'2" or so. She looks great. Meanwhile, her husband (who bought a .45) was a few years younger, watched sports & did that Fantasy League stuff. He was a heavy guy (my wife & I sat with them at a C21 party) so while he watched TV, she Power-Walked with their dog around Lake Murray. That's 5.2 miles daily, weather allowing.

The result is: She's still fit and active and, well , he's dead.

Sure, I'd rather she was readily armed AND kept in shape, but again, she's made a choice that I'm not going to fault her on.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Ten years ago my brother-in-law's father died, and I learned he had had some guns that my BiL needed to figure out a way to get rid of (he's not a gun person nor is anyone else in his or my family). I told him to let me know what he had, because I would probably be interested in them depending on what they were. Months later I learned that he simply took them all to a pawn shop, and I would imagine he probably also got next to nothing for them since he knows absolutely nothing about guns. When I asked my sister why in blue blazes he didn't take me up on my offer, her answer was "because you already have enough guns".

Family. :rolleyes:
You should buy a Glock and shoot your sister and b.i.l.😠

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’ve had two RIAs, both were well built, good accurate shooters. I wouldn’t hesitate to put plenty of rounds through that freebie!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Machine made guns today are built to close tollerences and the brand is often irrelevant and cost may or may not mean anything. We learned that with ARs the last 20 years. . Today an cheap AR will shoot 1 inch groups, you can pay $3,000 and maybe get one that will shoot 1/2 or 3/4. Think about that, not much added value really.

Same with 1911s. I use RIA frames to build most of my 1911s. 20-30 years ago no one would use anything but Caspian or Essex. Since we went to coated or painted coloring stainless is largely out and the RIA frame is about the smartest platform around, also about the only one you can find. The most accurate gun I own is RIA frame with a Gold Cup 9mm conversion slide, I converted to 38 super. The gun is 100% and groups are like rifle groups, I will not be accused of lying so I will just say that most folks would not believe the accuracy of that gun/ Point is the frame is RIA. I have a second one I built that is both the RIA frame and slide and it shoots remarkable well with a cheap barrel of another caliber. I have Colts and others just do not give them any preference over the RIA.

I can take any RIA off the shelf and should be able to shoot 2 inch groups with bulk ammo. To get any 1911 under 1 inch, your
probably will need to spend $2,500 to get the 1 inch guarantee. But the tighter the gun the more likely it will shut down early when it gets a little dirty, so precision, while great for targets always hurts street reliability.

So, my take is you have a fine gun, Enjoy your RIA they are great guns. They are made to shoot by the way.

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
5 days to go until the jail term is up.
Let’s hope you have cooled down enough now.
I wonder if it will still be there?

·
Registered
24,361 Posts
Mag man Perhaps you can clarify something for me. I know about the approved handguns roster that you have out there in the golden state. Additionally that for the most part, non roster handguns that have been in existence in the state are exempt from this. My question is this. Does this grandfathering clause if you will apply to rifles as well. More specifically AR type rifles.
The point of the inquiry being that if for example you have a Costa Mesa Armalite rifle. Are these grandfathered in also? Additionally is there any legal baggage associated with owning one of them today? Like registration or any other such bogus bureaucratic BS? Perhaps you have some knowledge of this.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Magazine Man I would be interested to learn what your thought & impressions are after you get to take it out to the range.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.