1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Nitro, It's in a safe at the gunshop. It's not going anywhere.

USMM guy ------------ I'd look to Calguns on your AR question. I know there was a window of opportunity years ago to document your "assault rifles" but I don't know the current status of that. I'm a Vintage Gun kinda guy & definitely not into Tactical stuff unless it's Tactical Circa 1917.

When I get this Armscor into my sweaty mitts it will be one of only a couple new guns I own. "new" in manufacture year, that is. The 100+ y/o design is why I agreed to take it. If it was a Glock 23, or whatever, I would have suggested she consign it or I would have, after disclosing that I would do so.

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
You could just turn it in at one of the weekly gun grabs. It would be just compensation. The Glock I mean........

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
JMJ1015 ---------- I'm not furious, Just very annoyed, because yes, the gun laws here are pretty dang onerous compared to most of the country. But there's a very active shooting scene here and plenty of local ranges & gunshops too. I also was able to obtain a CCW license & carry daily.

The laws would bother me more if my life was more Gun Centric than it is, but I have a lot of other interests that take priority.

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
JMJ1015 ---------- I'm not furious, Just very annoyed, because yes, the gun laws here are pretty dang onerous compared to most of the country. But there's a very active shooting scene here and plenty of local ranges & gunshops too. I also was able to obtain a CCW license & carry daily.

The laws would bother me more if my life was more Gun Centric than it is, but I have a lot of other interests that take priority.
‘01 - ‘08, one week each quarter I worked in the Bay Area. One day, sometimes more, of each week CA-based members of my team would go along with me to Reed’s Indoor Range. Some might not shoot, just watch a time or two ... most eventually became comfortable enough to try it. Always happy to think “They came to scoff and stayed behind to pray.”

·
Administrator
13,326 Posts
To honor her husband , you might consider a donation to a local veterans organization .

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
I am very grateful not to live there. While I am well aware there is nothing I could do about their gun laws I would be furious.
Oh, it’s not just the gun laws. Everything causes cancer and many places ban the use of charcoal! Between the mud slides, wild fires, taxes and the largest collection of misfit weirdos and MS13, there’s really not much point.....

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
How about the Hurricanes, Floods, Ice Storms, Tornados & assorted weather related misery of most of the US that doesn't exist here? We don't have a "shooting season" because it's all year.

We don't have Mosquito Screened outdoor areas, don't need 'em. Any activity, any day.

Plus, dig this: I'm in the running for being the listing agent for a house in La Jolla, at $5.5 Million. If I get it, at full price my side will gross $137,500. Just that ONE sale could pay me more than the average US family earns in two years of work.

That doesn't happen in Seminole Oklahoma. Where good folks spend 30 years paying off a house that I could buy outright with one commission check from a bourgeois crib like that La Jolla pad. .

So yes, There's a point.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Magazineman I apologize if I offended you. That was not my intent but infringements on our freedoms do make me angry. What we have going on today is the opposite of what the founders intended.

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Yes,JMJ1015---------- I agree. The founders wanted The People to be armed. To resist invaders and to overthrow our own Govt if necessary. That means Military Style weapons. So, to me, the 2A applies MORE to AR's than to Grandad's Shotgun, not less.

My snarky response was to Nitro who said "there's not really much point" to living in CA. -------------Like HE'S living in some Nirvanna Dreamland :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
74,006 Posts
Plus, dig this: I'm in the running for being the listing agent for a house in La Jolla, at $5.5 Million. If I get it, at full price my side will gross $137,500. Just that ONE sale could pay me more than the average US family earns in two years of work.

That doesn't happen in Seminole Oklahoma. Where good folks spend 30 years paying off a house that I could buy outright with one commission check from a bourgeois crib like that La Jolla pad.
The people in CA who can no longer afford $5 million dollar homes are all moving up here to WA where a $1 million home is considered a bargain. Folks like me who can barely afford a $200,000 home are being pushed out as the property taxes continue to go sky-high.

·
Registered
24,361 Posts
Oh, it’s not just the gun laws. Everything causes cancer and many places ban the use of charcoal! Between the mud slides, wild fires, taxes and the largest collection of misfit weirdos and MS13, there’s really not much point.....
I do not know if I would go that far. Lunch at the Nepenthe grill in Big Sur, or dinner at Robata. In Carmel might give you a little different insight Nitro. And the California girls. Let us just say that the Beach boys were pretty insightful in this respect. And I do not think that you will find anything in California that causes cancer there more than anywhere else. Just sayin.

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
I do not know if I would go that far. Lunch at the Nepenthe grill in Big Sur, or dinner at Robata. In Carmel might give you a little different insight Nitro. And the California girls. Let us just say that the Beach boys were pretty insightful in this respect. And I do not think that you will find anything in California that causes cancer there more than anywhere else. Just sayin.
Oh I get it.......I just like to jab at Maggie. He’s rich, did very well for himself and retired at 50. He’s right about one thing, his commission is double what most folks make in a year. I don’t think it’s necessary to point that out, but you know....

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
The people in CA who can no longer afford $5 million dollar homes are all moving up here to WA where a $1 million home is considered a bargain. Folks like me who can barely afford a $200,000 home are being pushed out as the property taxes continue to go sky-high.
Amen to that.....
There is something to be said about living in small town USA. Stress levels, pollution, taxes.....
I do not choose to be stuck on the I-405 where it takes an hour to go 10 feet. Those poor souls are losing a great portion of their life stuck in traffic. At least that’s true for the working stiffs. The rich can just take the copter.

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I pointed out potential income because it's one of the "points" of living in CA. There's some very good opportunities for earning here. Lots of amazing tech companies who pay big bucks for good talent. Space X, Facebook, Apple, Tesla, Google, Cisco, etc etc. One just has to be crafty with managing & conserving that fat income.

In my arena, housing, average home price in SD is $672,750 right now. That's a gross commission between $16 & 20k. Now, of course, that sword can cut both ways, helping some & harming others. But for owners with equity & commission-based Realtors it's great. That also goes for "The Trades" --- the contractors of all kinds. They are raking in the dough during this boom. Up next: The Big Drop. It's coming, because it always does. This presents a great buying opportunity.

The folks who are over-leveraged should sell NOW. And yes, rent for a few years or bail to a cheaper state.

Wayne Gretzky said "don't go to where the puck IS, go to where it will be" Anyhow, I admit that I'm a fan of CA so take my comments with a grain of salt. Btw, what USMM guy said about California Girls is correct. Because highly attractive women from around the US, and the world, are not advised to travel to Scranton or Toledo to seek their modeling/acting fortune. They are told to go to Ca. LA/ Hollywood in particular.

Of course most do not achieve fame but they are still gorgeous & get jobs in retail, food service and other industries. We get a lot of the overflow from LA here in San Diego. They fill the beaches during the day & the clubs at night. Amazing to see. Pretty girls from Europe, Asia, South America, etc. When I was young & going to those joints I danced with many. But 99% of the time I didn't qualify for much more than a dance. That was for the bigger, better looking guys.---------- Bummer!

Hey, I pick up my Free 1911 on Thursday. Sweet!

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
In my arena, housing, average home price in SD is $672,750 right now.
Yowch.....add the property tax and you just eliminated 95% of the American public from that option! Folks that have to stretch their resources to afford such a thing would live like a king in rural America. They would also die from the peace and quiet!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yowch.....add the property tax and you just eliminated 95% of the American public from that option! Folks that have to stretch their resources to afford such a thing would live like a king in rural America. They would also die from the peace and quiet!
All the folks from NY, CA and Washington love to move to NC, cause they think our housing costs (even in Charlotte) are so cheap compared to where they are from. The problem is developers see where the clientele keep coming from and the money they bring so now every development starts at $700,000 for a build that used to sell for $400,000. In ten years all of the people who have lived here since the days of actual affordable housing will have to sell due to the increased taxes based upon the ever increasing values of our houses. Also we can't sell because there is literally no where to go that any middle class person can afford. Even in our more rural areas outside of Charlotte, prices have doubled in the last 8-10 years.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Bummer about property taxes going up on re-assessment. Here in CA we don't have that. Here, your basis is what you bought the house for, not what the value increases to. So we pay a low rate, about 1.1 % in CA.

But our tax rate for our rental in Austin Texas, is almost three times higher AND it gets reassessed regularly. The value has jumped recently so our tax bill in Tx is pretty big.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.