1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just picked up a NIB Mil-Spec (PB9108). I understand that all the new 2001 Springfields have mainspring locks, chamber-loaded indicators, and one-piece barrels. Is this correct? Are all the new one-piece barrels throated? I admit I should know this by now, but what the hell is "throating" anyway? I noticed the "ramped" part of the chamber looks a little different on this one that on my old Colt 1991A1. The 1991A1 chamber mouth looks steeper and more uniform all the way around.

Anyway, I assumed my Mil-Spec would have a 2-piece barrel since it DOES NOT have the mainspring lock or chamber-loaded indicator. When I got my pistol home and disassembled it, I realized it has a very nice stainless one-piece barrel. There are no "seams" or signs of brazening or anything like that ANYWHERE on the barrel. Could this be some sort of "transitional" model? Whatever it is, I'm VERY pleased with it. There is absolutely no noticeable play between slide and frame or barrel and slide. The trigger pull is quite possibly the smoothest and most crisp I have ever felt on a 1911. I am very impressed with Springfield's base model to say the least. I'll shoot it tomorrow. Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might I remind you that the restraining order specifically states that you must remain at least 50 threads away.

·
Registered
293 Posts
just as a question before you two start "serving papers!" where is the seem on the two piece? i would like to be able to look at one and tell.

russel the cop

·
Registered
696 Posts
Russ, You'll see the seam about where the front of the chamber should be.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
203 Posts
Upon closer(!) inspection, I think I see where the seam is. It shoots great, so I guess I don't much care.

[This message has been edited by boing (edited 04-30-2001).]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
There are lots of pistols out there with two-piece barrels...many of these are kept forever with no problems...Not just SA, but a couple of very well known makers as well. I think Browning Hi-Powers fall in this group...if I'm wrong, I'm sure there will be plenty of time to get into my suit before the heat is too intense...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts