1911Forum banner

1 - 21 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
Buyer also needs to factor in another $1k just for shipping and FFL transfer fees.

Hmm, I knew there were multiple variants of the USMC pistol - different finishes, TALO version and Decom, but I I didn’t know there were 10.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I expect the collection to be shipped out of the country to some Wealthy OPEC Sheik who has had the body panels on his Lamborghini replaced with platinum.

·
Administrator
72,126 Posts
I am so glad that I never got interested in collecting these. Apologies in advance to those who have 'em and like 'em, but IMHO it's one butt-ugly pistol.

·
Premium Member
8,768 Posts
Zero (0) bids so far. Lets face it, the seller is way off. Market price at auction is determined by buyers willing to pay a price for an item. Zero bidder says it all. Those are beauties, but I just don't see them selling for 10K each. Maybe at best $2K to $2.5K on a good day for a motivated collector. I also think he could do a whole lot better getting bids if he sold them one by one.

·
Administrator
72,126 Posts
Maybe he's just showboating his wares. If a sucker happens along then all the merrier.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If I had money to burn I'd enjoy adding one to the collection, but then I"d like an example of every issue long arm and handgun the United States ever issued.

That particular pistol isn't especially desirable though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe he's just showboating his wares.
I was wondering the same thing, just a way to say "Look what I got!" and never expecting to really sell them. But it seems a strange place/way to do it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I recognize the ones with the X over the USMC as being the decommissioned pistols offered several years ago, not sure what the others represent. The fact that the number of decommissioned ones released is known, and serial numbers are recorded, will go a long ways to adding to their value to collectors as the years pass.

Interesting grouping. As noted, overpriced by a long shot. I wish the seller luck.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
If I were going to spend $100k on guns, it would be English sxs best guns. If it had to be a 1911, I would pass. Guns are generally a poor investment. Buying a $100k historical 1911 is a crapshoot IMO. The new generation is more fickle than the last. New generations are less and less interested in guns in general and those that are would rather buy some modern crap like the "collection" above. Collectable values are only what someone is willing to pay. "Rare" just means hard to find, not "valuable".

·
Administrator
72,126 Posts
What really bothers me is that when the X-marked surplus pistols were released the initial asking prices were quite reasonable, but a bunch of people bought them up with the intent of flipping them for a hefty profit. No sooner did they dry up when a bunch of them reappeared on Gunbroker at double the price. This seller was likely one of these, and assuming he isn't merely showboating he's obviously trying to cash in now. The same thing happened with the surplus SIG M17s. When I heard what their MSRP was I decided I'd try to get one, but they never showed up locally and all the ones on Gunbroker quickly sold for double the original price. There are a lot of guys out there who are not collectors, but merely profiteers.

Reactions: dmthomp32

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, just a way to say "Look what I got!" and never expecting to really sell them. But it seems a strange place/way to do it.
If someone is dumb enough to buy at that price then I guess he is promoted to genius.

Right after Sandy hook I put an sks on armslist for $450. It was sold in 20 minutes. I really wasnt looking to sell it I just wanted to see if it would at that price. I only paid $100 so it was a nice profit. Been thinking about listing a 500 round case of wolff 223 for $500 just to see if anyone wants to pay that much. I'm not trying to be an ammo gouger just want to see the level of lunacy. And honestly I don't think I could sleep at night if I did.

1 - 21 of 42 Posts