1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
I suppose I don't even know enough to know why these things would be worth anything close to $10K apiece. This looks like a case of irrational collector syndrome. Similar to folks who spend big bucks to put a full collection of beanie babies together so they could make a fortune selling them years later.

·
Registered
11,731 Posts
Eventually, all Colt’s sell, as will these. Maybe not the first go-around, but somebody, somewhere is going to want to add these to their collection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If I were going to spend $100k on guns, it would be English sxs best guns. If it had to be a 1911, I would pass. Guns are generally a poor investment. Buying a $100k historical 1911 is a crapshoot IMO. The new generation is more fickle than the last. New generations are less and less interested in guns in general and those that are would rather buy some modern crap like the "collection" above. Collectable values are only what someone is willing to pay. "Rare" just means hard to find, not "valuable".
As I’ve collected over the years and begin to sell off inventory, the few times I “made” money was selling a couple finnish Mosins that I bought for $400-500 and sold for $800 or so. Other stuff sold, probably made $50 after the selling fees and the time packing these things. But, i wish I I would have waited to sell this year. Maybe would’ve made $900 vs $800. Collecting is a personal choice and return on investment should not be in that equation. The people who make money are your kids when the sell your stuff off when you expire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Although I kinda agree with DSK that’s it’s not the prettiest Colt, I wouldn’t mind owning a decommissioned one and I would pay the same price as a 1911 A1, which is $ 2000-2500 around here for a nice one (Switzerland).

Condition seems to vary as much as the A1

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I clicked in the link I expected to see a collection of rare WWI and WWII military 1911s in perfect as issued condition. Not a bunch of new $1700 full retail pistols from 5 years ago.

What this guy must be nuts.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
As I’ve collected over the years and begin to sell off inventory, the few times I “made” money was selling a couple finnish Mosins that I bought for $400-500 and sold for $800 or so. Other stuff sold, probably made $50 after the selling fees and the time packing these things. But, i wish I I would have waited to sell this year. Maybe would’ve made $900 vs $800. Collecting is a personal choice and return on investment should not be in that equation. The people who make money are your kids when the sell your stuff off when you expire

I don't have any kids. So, my guns are listed in my will as going to various shooting friends. But I am selling a few off as I get older and don't want to store them. I don't want to leave a pile of guns for the wife, not knowing what to do with them. My sxs shotguns comprise the bulk of my gun values. I'm trimming the chaff and keeping the good stuff.

Reactions: NewWaveGuy

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Zero (0) bids so far. Lets face it, the seller is way off. Market price at auction is determined by buyers willing to pay a price for an item. Zero bidder says it all. Those are beauties, but I just don't see them selling for 10K each. Maybe at best $2K to $2.5K on a good day for a motivated collector. I also think he could do a whole lot better getting bids if he sold them one by one.
These guns still sell individually for around $4-5000. Show me a USMC marked M45 for sale for $2-2.5k? And the IonBond USMC gun is quite rare by itself and worth more than the others. None are worth $10k a piece but your number is quite low.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
When I clicked in the link I expected to see a collection of rare WWI and WWII military 1911s in perfect as issued condition. Not a bunch of new $1700 full retail pistols from 5 years ago.

What this guy must be nuts.
First release of the X marked ones were $1250 a piece. Second batch was $1500.
And then the unissued ones without the X came out for $1750. They sold out in days if not a couple weeks. Then within weeks the people who missed out were paying double for them. Now as I said above I still see them sell for $4-5000.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The seller here hasn’t unloaded much lately, but the only prior sale still visible? Well, he found his buyer....

He started this at $.01 so I’m not sure why his tactic changed. Maybe I am.

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
These guns still sell individually for around $4-5000. Show me a USMC marked M45 for sale for $2-2.5k? And the IonBond USMC gun is quite rare by itself and worth more than the others. None are worth $10k a piece but your number is quite low.
You are probably 100% correct. I am not much of a collector. The most I have paid for a firearm is my Dan Wesson ECO in .45 ACP and I paid under $1300 on sale. Love that gun, from Arizona Shooting Range before they went under in Broward. They got sued for a suicide at their range and that did them in. I was unaware of their issues but I saw that on sale and it was a must have. I've seen Cabots on sale for $4000-$5000 at Nexus Shooting range and that is out of my price range, but I would love to have a Cabot. But $5000 for a Colt just because of the markings? Nope. Its still a $1500 gun to me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The more days pass by without getting a single bid, the more the seller realizes how foolish he is for paying crazy amount to get that gun collection.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I don't have any knowledge of these particular guns and their value. But I will say that any gun or collection of guns, that are of value beyond the everyday middle class affordable guns, will often be for sale for many months or even years before they sell.

In one example over 15 years ago, i had seen a .410 Ithaca NID vintage side by side shotgun for sale for $3500. I saw it for several years online. It didn't sell, so the store raised raised the price to $5k and it sold finally. Later, I bought that same gun, but that's another story.

Another example, I had purchased two unfired Merkel sidelock, high grade, engraved shotguns I wanted to turn. They were each 2 barrel sets, one a 410/28ga and the other a 20/16ga. Both were (are) retail value of $12-13K each. I put one up for sale for $9.5K and it got a bunch of "nose picker" inquiries with super low ball offers and offers to trade their unwanted shotgun and some money, etc.. It got so bad, one guy was pestering me incesently, such that I stopped responding to his calls and emails. After about 6 months, I got tired of it all and took them both hunting chukar in WA & ID.

The point is: most expensive guns will take a long time to sell. I still see some of the same guns for sale at fine gun retailers, that I've seen for years.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

I recently sold one gun for about $1k more than I paid for it about a decade earlier. But, I don't "collect" per se. I'm a "acquirer". I hunt all of my shotguns. I shoot all my pistols.

But to your point about ROI, I think that also is a factor that varies from collector to collector. On the bottom of collecting, I see a mix of those in it for return and those that are tossing their money in a hole. In the middle, I see more that want to make a buck on their purchases. On the higher value guns, say over $10k each, I see a mix again.

But not all high priced guns are "collected". Some guns that cost tens of thousands or more are just shooters. For example, Madonna bought and sold a handful of fine used Engish shotguns for a loss, to have at her English manor for guests to shoot, with initial value amounting to 6 figures.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
No harm in 'asking' a totally insane amount of money for a not really even interesting collection of virtually the same handgun? I suspect there will not be a flock of buyers posting a bid. Or should I say ANY buyer demented enough to make a bid. but IF there is a bidder? Let them know I have a collection of Franklin Mint 'Wizard of Oz' dinner plates I could let go for say a mere $20,000.

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
Hurry up guys... seven hours left! Get your bid in. You don't get an opportunity to piss away your retirement funds like this everyday. ;)

Zero bids in after 9 days.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts