1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeap, stupid question, but for the life of me, I can't switch grip panels without screwing up the screws. I konw, switch to hex, and I have, but I want to keep the mil-spec more mil-spec with the flat screws. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,058 Posts
I have a screwdriver with interchangeable bits, and I ground one bit down so it perfectly fits the grip screw slot.

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
Absolutely correct. If it says "Craftsman" it's not for guns!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...no...wait. I have a gun kit that came with two screw drivers, but they still screw up the heads.

So there isn't a trick...just look for the right tool sorta advice?

:barf: <----Halloween pumpkin

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,058 Posts
You want hollow ground blades. You can make one out of a supermarket screwdriver, but most of the interchangeable bits that I see are hollow ground.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Use

the above recommended gunsmith screwdrivers but put some masking tape or electrical tape on the blade. DON"T overtighten. This should work ok.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Use

denstoe said:
the above recommended gunsmith screwdrivers but put some masking tape or electrical tape on the blade. DON"T overtighten. This should work ok.

Ahhh HA!....Ok..that's the advice I was looking for! Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
After spending 2K on a Springfield Pro and needing to change out the grips I came across the same question. The answer was a $99 super deluxe gunsmith screwdriver kit from Brownells. (www.brownells.com) Funny thing is I use the dam kit for all kinds of things. They are excellent! You then ask yourself $99 for a friggin screw driver kit.............My friend said the $99 kit he can understand its the $2000 gun that he questions. :p Good Luck, but the kit is excellent and it does great. It has a slot for any screw you could imagine and they are the hollow ground type or what ever type that is recommended to be the best, and it works.

T. Defense

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hmmmm, I just use the rim of a a spent 45ACP cartridge, they made the screws to fit the rim.....every tool that is needed to take the gun down is in the gun itself, one of the little engineering marvels of the 1911.
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
While we're on the subject, thoughts on replacing the grips and (if needed) the grip screws on a Mil-Spec? I've never had to change the grips on one before, and because I know the stock plastic grips will probably break after a few hundred rounds, I'll want to swap them out. When I swap grips, will I have to change screws as well? If so, which, and any work besides just screwing and unscrewing?

Andy

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Standard screws will fit the stock bushings, but the grips probably won't unless their holes are larger then normal. The stock bushings are staked in so it takes some work to get them out.
Regards SonnyD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts