1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the miltary gun show this past weekend and haggled on this ammo can for 21 dollars. I've never seen a can this big so I had to have it. The seal is still in great condition and is soft and pliable. I cleaned it up and oiled the gasket when I got it home.

Just wanted to show it off. Now I need to fill this beast up.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just got 3 of those last week $20 each, found them on craigslist. Already had 2 that I bought years ago for $15. I think they call them 30mm cans.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The ammo can as shown by the OP is used with an M134 (Army), GAU-2B/A (Air Force), Mk 25 Mod 0 (Navy) 7.62 mm minigun.
Hmm...SO, 30 seconds worth of minigun shooting should amount to a week's (more like 2 or 3 weeks?) worth of .45 shooting! The tough part is either buying or reloading enough .45 to fill it up. We need many of those cans filled to the lid with .45.

Good find!

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I've got 4 or 5 of those. I use them for shotgun shells, mostly.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I brought one home from the Navy like that. They use them for a lot of stuff.

Our bomb fuzes came in that box, and 20mm shells also.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Went to the miltary gun show this past weekend and haggled on this ammo can for 21 dollars. I've never seen a can this big so I had to have it. The seal is still in great condition and is soft and pliable. I cleaned it up and oiled the gasket when I got it home.

Just wanted to show it off. Now I need to fill this beast up.
Good luck hefting that kind of weight. It's all I can do to tote 500rds of .45.

·
Registered
835 Posts
.45 ACP military ammo comes in a wire bound crate containing two M1A1 ammo cans each containing 1000 rds. That means the wire bound crate contains a total of 2000 rds of ammo. There are no handles on the crate so you are lifting it with your finger tips on reinforcements of the end panels of the crate. I can tell you from experience that lifting these crates is not pleasant.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You might want to clean off the oil from the gasket, because it may swell and deteriorate.

Lube the gasket with silicone spray or silicone grease. The silicone grease can be in the form of dielectric grease.

·
Registered
249 Posts
1500 rounds of 308 should equal quite a lot of 45ACP.

Question is, can you lift it once it's full? :D
So, here is what I am thinking:

Approximately two (2) brass cases of 45ACP to one (1) brass case of 308WIN
Figure 230 grn 45ACP bullets

1500 rounds 308WIN x (2) 45ACP rounds per one (1) 308WIN = 3000 rounds

That comes out to approximately 100 pounds just for the bullets, then add in the weight for brass, powder, primers and the can itself

That is more than three times the original weight

Looks like you are going to get a good workout

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ammo Cans

They make great storage for many things but do be careful of what kind of oil that you put on the rubber seal. Some oils will deteriorate some rubbers. I have been told that the safest thing to use is good 'ol vaseline.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
The one I have is used for all things archery related.

Bob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts