1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I timed that right. I got my VM-II from Milt Sparks and my license in the same week. It's like an early christmas present. I carried my gun to the range to get some issues sorted out with it. It will take some getting used to especially while sitting in the car.

Robert.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Welcome to the CHL Club.

And you will get used to it once you carry for a bit. If your like me and a lot of people I know, it gets to where it feels funny with your not carrying.

Stacey

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stacey

I just got back from going out to eat at El Chico's, and it felt really wierd to have it on. I kept thinking "what if this thing goes off" :eek: . They put us in the very back, which also made me uneasy. I feel comfortable now that I'm at home, but i need to be able to feel that way when out and about in publc. It'll take some getting use to, but it'll come.

Robert.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
You will... It only took me about a month, and then I did feel weird when I don't carry. Like I forogt my keys or something.. Its hard to explain. But it didn't take me to long to adjust to it. And once you get a really comfortable rig, you will hardly notice it.
Other than that congrats :) :rock:

Also coming here was the best idea you ever had. With the exception of a few bad apples the guys and forum supports on here are awsome!!! very informative and experienced. Definately ask all your questions here ;) :)

·
Premium Member
20,304 Posts
Just relax. When you worry about it, you become obvious. Let it ride, don't keep adjusting it. Don't look at your reflection, and don't do the old "security touch". Trust that fine holster.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was amazing how I suddenly became aware of everybody in the place. I felt like that girl that was in that acid reflux commercial that had that waiter who was going on about "it'll keep you up all night" "tossing and turning". It's tricky to sit a a table and not have it print when leaning over food trying to eat.

Robert.

·
Premium Member
20,304 Posts
Try to position yourself so your strong side is against a wall or away from the public.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's exactly what I did when I sat down. As we were walking up to the table, I had my seat picked out 15 feet away from getting there. Unfoutunatley, my friend who didn't know I was carrying sat in that seat first. I asked him to move and let me sit there (nicely of course:), and he moved although confused about the request, he did move. I had a feeling that it would try to print, so I wanted to be kept away from the eyes of others eating.

Robert.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
You will get used to it. And like AZ said, you got one of the best holsters on the market IMHO. And I an not the only one to say so about them :).

Az also brings up a very good point. Do not keep checking it. Get yourself set up and ready at home, check yourself or have someone check for you that your not printing, and then leave the house and go about your normal biz.

As for being worried it might go off, empty the mag and chamber, put it in the holster and spend the day or 2 at the house doing what ever it is you normally do while wearing the rig and see if the hammer falls. Heck bend down, pick things up, sit down and get back out of chairs and so forth. That should help the jitters a whole lot.

The only time I ever had an issue was at a Wendy's. Those damn chairs pipe chairs with the bars and not full backs. Butt of pistol got stuck between two when I twisted around in the chair to get up and leave. I was wedged in for just a bit, and shirt had the pistol covered the whole time. BUT, I had the instant feeling that everyone in the whole place was looking right at me. Got myself loose and went on about my errands.

Truth be told 99% of the people in today's world do not pay attention to anything that goes on around them. Use a good cover garment and no one will even look twice at you.

Stacey

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Warhorse545 said:
The only time I ever had an issue was at a Wendy's. Those damn chairs pipe chairs with the bars and not full backs. Butt of pistol got stuck between two when I twisted around in the chair to get up and leave. I was wedged in for just a bit, and shirt had the pistol covered the whole time. BUT, I had the instant feeling that everyone in the whole place was looking right at me. Got myself loose and went on about my errands.
Stacey
Man, I'd crap myself. It's amazing thinking back to my old days in the Army as an Infatry man. I ran counter infiltration patrols if the DMZ in Korea while stationed at Camp Bonifas from '94-'95. During that time I became so accustomed to carrying a loaded weapon (M-249 SAW w/ 600 rds) that I felt vulnerable without it. I'll have to get reaccustomed to that feeling again.

Robert.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'm glad you now have joined the rest of us that have carried regulary. If you were afraid of "what if this thing goes off" either you don't have a good holster or you are not familiar with your gun. No one should carry a weapon until they know the weapon like the back of their hand. Make sure you have a safe and secure holster and practise drawing and firing until you can do it like second nature. Believe me, when you do it enough you will feel comfortable carrying in any circumstance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Felt better with it today

I went shopping at wal-mart just now. I will have to get used to bending over in a non-discreate mannor to pick things up. I'm wearing it right now with a full mag inserted but no round chambered to get used to the weight. I'm no stranger to loaded guns and I'm just as familiar with this piece as with any other firearm I've handled. It's just the last time I carried a loaded firearm, I was among wolves and not sheep.

Robert.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
AHH the Wall_Mart newbe break in. :) And do not take that wrong :) I know a lot of people with their CHL's that went to Wall_Mart within their first week. Good place to get used to being around lots of people.

And I walked the DMZ for a few months in 1987. And people wonder why I hate the cold weather.

Stacey

·
Registered
358 Posts
Don't worry about printing.

Think back to when you were a sheepole. Did you eber notice someone carrying a Weapon that was't a cop? If you did, what did they do wrong so that you noticed?

This past summer I was shooting clay pidgeons with a couple of friends that I work with every day. I was wearing Shorts and a polo shirt untucked. After we had finnised about 400 shotgun rounds. My buddy said hey did you happen to bring that new .45 you got for your birthday. My friend both know I have my CCW. They both **** when I pulled it out. They were like how the hell do you conceal that big a gun in shorts and a polo shirt.
The pistol in question is a Full size Springfield loaded stainless model.

I was using a simple IWB clip Don Hume holster.

You notice your pistol more than 99% of other people, all you have to do is get comfortable carrying it. If you don't tip your hand that you have it most people will never notice.

I had a fender bender on my way out hunting on friday. Here in MN it is legal to open carry with your CCW. I had a 6 inch barrel'd 357mag on my hip. my hunting vest covered on the gip, the holster was in plain view. Nobody said a word about it. Not the driver of the other car, the witnesses, or the Leo that showed up.

Act like you are doing what you are sopposed to be doing.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The cellphone is probably the best thing that happened to carriers - anybody who sees a lump under a shirt is going to think cellphone if it's in the right place.

I've gotten the same look of 'where did that come from' with my fullsized Springfield Mil-spec as well - of course it's obvious to me when I'm carrying it....but to the outside observer, even a police officer in most cases, they just don't notice.

I realized that one day when I was having lunch at a restaurant frequented by the FBI dudes regularly (we have one of the major district offices for the country here) and they all come in from out in the field somewhere loaded for bear. I'm wearing a shirt that barely covers the 1911, and I figured I might get some harassment.

To the best of my knowledge, they never even noticed it was there because I didn't keep fondling it and continued eating my lunch.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Robert D.-- Don't forget you are still among wolves --- many of them are just wearing sheep's clothing!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I used to worry about printing a lot myself. I carry a SW1911 in a Milt Sparks VM2. I usually wear a polo shirt and jeans at work. One day when I was carrying, my wife came up to visit for lunch and asked if I wanted to go out. I told her I did, but I would feel a little better if I could ditch the "hog leg". She must have miss understood because she told me not to bother putting it on. I told her I already had it and she said, "If I can't tell, no one else can either." And she is right. Like it has already been said, you will notice it more than any one else.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Warhorse545 said:
AHH the Wall_Mart newbe break in. :) And do not take that wrong :) I know a lot of people with their CHL's that went to Wall_Mart within their first week. Good place to get used to being around lots of people.

And I walked the DMZ for a few months in 1987. And people wonder why I hate the cold weather.

Stacey
Wal Mart is also a good place to actually need a CHL.:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

·
Registered
745 Posts
The first time I carried concealed I was at the grocery store after work when an officer came up and started talking to me by the magazine rack. We had gone to High School together but weren't good friends. The whole time I just KNEW that he KNEW that I was carrying. Eventhough I was perfectly legal, you just get that feeling at first.

You can carry in a resaurant that serves alcohol with your CWP? Here in SC, where our laws are pretty good, we can't carry anywhere that serves booze for consumption on premisis. Unless a LEO. Wonder what other laws are different like that.....

Hershey

1 - 20 of 22 Posts