1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got four new Colts back from Colt service today. The front bushing on the 2 NRMs still have a gap around them at the slide and the rear of the slide on one of them still overhangs the rear of the frame slightly. One of the reissue 70 series guns' trigger now shows the opening behind the trigger when it is at rest (yep, you can stick a toothpick or something behind it). The rear sight of the NRM Commander is not cut as deep as it's supposed to be and the dots will not line up... GRRRRR!!!

(I might mention, I also have another NRM 1991 at Colt now that is supposed to be having THREE problems fixed - I didn't even bring that one home from the gunshop. And I just sent back another reissue 70 series, in the new Custom Shop box, for the rear of the slide overhanging the back of the frame very obviously.)

I'm not trying to bash Colt - they are still my favorite, believe it or not. (I even got this gunshop to start stocking current model Colts.) I'm just HIGHLY frustrated.

This is maddening.

·
Administrator
73,384 Posts
Steve, I don't understand how or why you've bought so many pistols with cosmetic issues. I'd estimate right now that maybe one in five new Colts has something a person might be able to point out as a cosmetic flaw, either slight or major. But you seem to be a magnet for all the bad ones. :(

I keep examining new Colts as they show up at the local dealers. I still occasionally see an uneven edge, slight dust cover rubbing, or slight slide overhang. I still have yet to see a poorly-fit bushing like many have reported. I see loose plunger tubes often, but apparently Colt is finally aware of it. The bottom line is to check each pistol before you buy. If you buy sight unseen you'll have a 4 out of 5 likelihood the pistol will be just fine. However, if the pistol must be absolutely PERFECT it might be impossible to totally satisfy some buyers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You have some serious bad luck! I have purchased 6 NRM Series 80s, 2 Series 70s, and 1 Lightweight Commander XSE in the last year. All of them have been exceptional in quality. The Commander does have a slight cosmetic flaw in the slide that I don't think can be easily remedied; there's a small, but deep deep divot just below the rollmark. I havent decided whether to send this one for repair or just living with it.

And I just noticed the Commander has a MIM extractor :( It works great though. :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I have been a magnet for the problems...

By the way, I have to buy them sight unseen, because no one stocks them. I have to order them through my dealer. AND, the dealer sees these flaws, too and agrees they shouldn't look that way, so it's not that I'm not able to be pleased.

I buy other guns and don't have this many problems... so, it isn't me.

Steve

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
Steve... I really LOVE Colts and, yes, this would be VERY maddening to me. I would just turn right around and insist that Colt make them right. I believe that the more we accept less-than-quality-work from Colt, the less likely they are to continue improving. Hold their feet to the fire until the guns are as they should be.

As far as I know, Colt will stand behind their guns and make it right, but it is maddening to have to go through so much to get the guns as they should have been made in the first place. I hope Colt is paying for your shipping as well, because that gets expensive is a hurry!

Colt is capable of making some great guns these days, but something is still very wrong there when it comes to consistency. Some assembler(s) is/are doing shoddy work and if there is a quality control step, someone there is surely asleep at the wheel. It's up to Colt management to take steps to stop this crap from happening. For some reason, management is overlooking this or they would be taking steps to stop it. Sure hope they step up to the plate and correct these failings. If it were any other brand I'd just buy from another maker. But we expect more from Colt and to a lot of us, only a Colt will do! Let us know how it goes.

·
Administrator
73,384 Posts
At the risk of ruffling some feathers, it could be a result of Colt's unionized labor. Sometimes it can be a real PIA to get rid of a lazy or incompetent employee.

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
dsk... that too may play a part. Running a business really well isn't easy, but surely there must be something Colt management can do to stop poorly made Colts from being shipped out to customers... you have to wonder if Colt management is really serious about taking charge of QC.

If someone were in charge of looking for obvious defects such as these and then pulling those guns out of the process and re-routing them to a manager who then holds the assembler accountable, over time you would think that the assembler could be taken out... er, I mean, fired.

·
Registered
23,189 Posts
Its unfortunate when one can't inspect a gun before buying. I ordered a Python Elite last year and chewed my nails till it came in. The fit and finish on it were fantastic when it came, but I usually try to examine before I buy.

I don't know the gun biz, but I know in the electonics manufacturing world sometimes companies markdown defective parts and assemblies that still "sorta work" and then dishonest middlemen sale them at full list to make a fast buck. I have always wondered if things like that go on in firearms manufacturing.

·
Administrator
73,384 Posts
Dakota1911, don't reply to 2 1/2 year-old threads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.