1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics and a list of the work done to my pistol, which was originally a stainless Loaded. I figured it up, and all total including purchase price, plus 2 different customization jobs, plus a warranty trip to Springfield, I have put about $1660 into this pistol. Also Springfield has treated me VERY well on this pistol and has given me some excellent service and at times they have just "thrown in" some fairly costly items (under warranty) that they could have charged for. Anyway, now it's done and I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Only thing I need now is to get rid of those grips and get something nicer!

Here are major items on the upgrade list:

* Fit slide to frame
* 25 LPI machine checker front strap
* Fit Springfield match barrel/bushing
* Hard chrome entire pistol
* Fit Wilson ambi tactical thumb safety
* Fit Cylinder & Slide hammer, sear, disconnector kit (I installed this)
* Install N.M. adjustable speed trigger
* Install Ed Brown firing pin stop (fit 2nd backup FPS)
* Install Wilson bulletproof extractor (fit 2nd backup extractor)
* Polish feed ramp
* Install upgraded : slide stop lever, plunger tube (stake to frame), ejector

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
That's just an all around fine gun.

Tasteful, and just plain nice. I like those grips though.

FWIW - SA does the nicest machine cut checkering of any shop. It looks really good.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful pistol. Are my eyes deceiving me or did you have a carry bevel done on the pistol?
You know, that's a REALLY good question. I don't know! :biglaugh: That probably sounds stupid, but here's the thing: Springfield is SO conscientious when they work on a gun like this, that they tend to "throw in" extra work to just make it come out nice, without even asking you. Example: the match barrel and bushing they had originally fitted to the pistol for free, as part of some warranty work. Because it was "free", and because it enabled the pistol to shoot with almost scary accuracy, I just lived with the fact that the bushing they used had a deep scratch on its outer face. But when they did the hard chrome job on this pistol, even though I was just going to live with that scratch, they did something and took care of it (I assume they polished it out somehow). And I have found numerous other little "extras" that they did without charging me, just to make the total job come out nice.

With that in mind, and now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure that they did do something to take some of the sharp edges off the gun. It was a nice gun for a stock Loaded, but it definitely had some VERY sharp edges on it, and those are gone now. I've never had a hard chrome job done, so I guess I wasn't sure whether the added smoothness was an effect of the hard chrome, or whether they also beveled the edges, but anyway, it's definitely been smoothed out quite a bit. Good catch, LordofBarbecue!

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
WOW, congrats on a VERY nice gun. :rock:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[Deleted - question resolved.]

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was wondering what the turn around time on this project was from the Custom Shop? I have a gun with them now for slightly less work, and they qoted me 8 weeks. How long did they have your gun? Nice gun by the way.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Very Sweeeeeeeeeet looking Springer you have, I like the way the magwell fits.

Clyde

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Hard Chrome don't do it

I don't think Hard Chrome softens the edges. You can see from some of the pics where it appears that the edges have been softened. They did several extra items on my GI several months ago without being asked. But, giving you a carry bevel is way out of line in my opinion. LOL

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Very, very nice. What a sweet lookin' custom job.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
I was wondering what the turn around time on this project was from the Custom Shop? I have a gun with them now for slightly less work, and they qoted me 8 weeks. How long did they have your gun? Nice gun by the way.
I got mine completely customized in 6 days from them. I guess I'm EXTREMELY lucky.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They said it would take 6 weeks (due to a vendor doing the hard chrome), but in reality, it took less than 4. Of course, remember that some of the work was done on another trip back to them over a year ago, plus there was an earlier warranty job that they did.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I like the work they did on the slide serrations. The only complaint I've had about my Loaded is how sharp they are. It hasn't bothered me since I first got the gun, but they haven't gotten any duller- I've just got used to them! They still shave a little leather out of my holster every time I take it out. I knew I should have requested a carry bevel treatment when it was in for warranty work (I shot the front sight right off after a few thousand rounds).

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got to try it out at the range tonight, and wow! They sure didn't hurt the shooting performance of this pistol. It was as accurate and reliable as ever, and the extraction pattern was notably tighter and more predictable with the new extractor.

All in all, the only thing that could have made me even happier would be if my new TacSol .22 conversion unit would have worked on this pistol, or on ANY of my 1911's. But, that's another story for another day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts