1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DSA SA58 brand new (not a parts gun) with 4140 lower, 10 magazines of which 6 are new. It came with a scope rail that wasn't installed, and the guy never fired it as he had two of them. $1350 FTF, did I do badly?
I'm so happy with it!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
You did very well!!

You know the drill!

Where in the heck are the pics????

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Note that there are only 5 new mags, not 6.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Nice! You will enjoy it.

Recommendations:

Loose the steel hand guard. It gets very hot in any sort of sustained fire. All the gases are vented from the action just under the hand guard. I don't know who's idea it was back in the day, but it was dumb :dope:

Change to the "SAW" type pistol grip, much more comfortable IMO.

The bipod changes POA/POI, you may not want to keep it on, IMO it just adds weight.

You made a great buy!

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loose the steel hand guard.
Huh? The hand guard ahead of the handle? It's some kind of plastic I think.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Huh? The hand guard ahead of the handle? It's some kind of plastic I think.
OK, your SA58 maybe different than the STG58 it looks like. The STG hand guard was steel.

If so... my bad :)

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
What, if any, plans do you have for it?

Do you intend to put any optics on it?

DSA FALs are the best made IMO. It will serve you and your children well. I doubt you will ever wear it out, but it is fun to try!

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The scope rail action cover is pretty heavy, it's steel, but then I'm philosophically opposed to aluminum in firearms. I'll probably install a scope on it to get the best accuracy out of my old eyes. (Yeah, I know, aluminum scope :biglaugh:)

I bought it as a SHTF weapon, not for hunting, maybe some range use though I've never been a rifle guy.
My old SHTF rifle is a Mini-14, but I've read many times that they are not capable of 2 MOA out of the box, and converting it costs more than this FAL did. I really like the Mini though.
This gun will spend many years sitting in the safe waiting for the dreaded day when it is called for service. I pray I'll never need it for that sort of use. On the other hand I fear being unprepared.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Very nice!!!:rock:

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
FAL's are not the best choice to put optics on, top cover rails are not very sturdy, and to install the good kind of scope rail you have to drill the receiver. not something I would do. FAL's work best with iron sights, the exact opposite of the AR platform which is ideal for optics.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
FAL's are not the best choice to put optics on, top cover rails are not very sturdy, and to install the good kind of scope rail you have to drill the receiver. not something I would do. FAL's work best with iron sights, the exact opposite of the AR platform which is ideal for optics.
I will have to disagree with you on this point. The DSA mount is not bad at all IMO. There are plenty of poor mounts out there, but mine works fine. My DSA mount is very rigid.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I will have to disagree with you on this point. The DSA mount is not bad at all IMO. There are plenty of poor mounts out there, but mine works fine. My DSA mount is very rigid.
The DSA mount is the best of that type, but still not as stable as a receiver mounted scope.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
The DSA mount is the best of that type, but still not as stable as a receiver mounted scope.
No argument there. To date I have not had any issues with lost zero. If I do maybe I will change my mind. It is not a "sniper rifle" so I think I will be Ok ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
$1,350 for a DSA FAL is a great deal. You would have to pay a heck of a lot more to order one from DSA once you add up shipping, the dealer's cut, and taxes. Others might say you could "possibly" find something cheaper somewhere else but I truly doubt it. You did more than well enough as it is.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Fal...

I have three. Love them all. FALS are very diverse and they all have their own personalities.

Of all the dust cover scope mounts, DSA's is the most reliable; due to the number of mounting screws used; almost twice what TAPCO uses. I do agree; with iron sights and tailored handloads the FAL can be a tack hammer.

DSA makes some good guns; as does Arizona Response Systems. There are also some very good (and some very dangerous) private makers out there. All three of my FALS were hand built by the same maker. I posted pictures elsewhere of them in the forums.

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
New FAL handguard is coming from VLTOR...it will be a nice addition to the FAL.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Any idea if DSA will ever build a complete L1A1 rifle, considering they make the inch pattern receiver. Does anyone have good 411? Thanks. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The DSA mount is not bad at all IMO.
This has a DSA mount, but maybe you could tell that from the photo. It has about 10 screws that clamp it to the receiver. The first thing I thought of when I saw that was "I wonder if the screws will back out in use."

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
This has a DSA mount, but maybe you could tell that from the photo. It has about 10 screws that clamp it to the receiver. The first thing I thought of when I saw that was "I wonder if the screws will back out in use."
My mount was installed by CGW, they built my rifle. It seems like they mentioned not using the stock screws on the install. FWIW my mount is installed with hex head screws and I'm sure Loctite.

Here is the screws CGW said to use, IIRC my mount came with slot/flat screws.

http://www.dsarms.com/Spare-Buttonh...y-Duty-Scope-Mount---620SH/productinfo/620SH/

1 - 20 of 69 Posts