1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my first Colt automatic today:

It is an extremely old series 80 with the collet bushing of all things. Also has a plastic mainspring housing. I was unaware Colt ever did this, much less on such an early series 80 gun. But as I said, I am new to Colt auto pistols.

I have a new mainspring housing, extractor, firing pin, and Wolff spring kit on the way. None of these are absolutely necessary save for the mainspring housing. The rounded one just feels way too wierd.

All she will need now is new sights and a trigger job. (The trigger is quite mushy...) Cylinder and slide should be able to handle both for a reasonably low price. I have discovered that having Novak sights put on the pistol is quite expensive thanks to the machining needed to install the sights.

One question nags me:

There is a 150 on the Colt medallion on the grips. Anyone know what this 150 means? I assume it means 150th aniversary, but as previously stated, I am new to Colt autos...

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
Your pistol was evidently made in 1986, the year of Colt's 150th anniversary. It was also the year Colt began using a nylon mainspring housing. The collet bushing was not phased out until around 1988.

Congrats, you have an excellent starter piece to build a nice gun on. Were the pistol mine I'd even just leave it as-is, maybe some better sights tops.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Gentlemen, I traded for this one yesterday. Two tiered trade made it very cheap, $400 range. It was not my first though. I`ve been looking for a used 1911 Government Model for a long time. It`s cloudy so the polished sides don`t show. I`m gonna leave it as is except for a CMC drop in rear sight. Score is: blind hogs 2 acorns 0. Two guys running around happy today. Bob

Attachments

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
Nice Colt John! Looks like you found one in really beautiful condition. Good going.

I'm with dsk... I'd probably leave that beauty just as is... except perhaps the trigger job and possibly a new bushing. I love those short triggers and arched MSH.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bluetooth said:
Ouch! Your making me feel old.
Well it is almost as old as I am, so that makes it extremely old. Cause that's how I feel. I figured that since I reached a vintage age, I would buy a vintage gun. So this was my birthday present to me.

I always LOVE my gifts...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Texas -- Thanks. Your pistol is a good looker too.

I have since had the opportunity to do a complete teardown and re-assemble of the gun, and have come to the conclusion that it was damn near NIB. The bluing on the bottom of the slide and the slide rails isn't even worn. The gun had 17 year old assembly grease caked on with 17 years worth of dust in the non-visible areas. The bore, once I got all the dust and cosmoline out of it, is in perfect shape

The only real flaws on the gun are the scratch visible in front of the dust cover in this picture, and on the left of the gun around the trigger area has a few dings.

It appears to me that somebody bought it and had a hell of a time assembling it and gave up on it. The box (yes it came in the original brown Colt box with the WWI artwork on it, even the original Colt styrofoam) has seen better days. I think this thing was hard for some simpleton to take apart and put together, and they just threw it in the closet/safe and forgot about it.

The killer is that I only paid a little over 400 for it outright. No trades nor nuthin. Eat your hearts out boys...

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
John... you lucky dog you... that is a great looking gun and a great price.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nice!

Very nice colt, John Wayne!

Jim;)

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
SIMPLY AWESOME! Tell y what, you "screw" with that gun at all, and I will kick you're ass!:eek:

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
I'm with udont, that piece is pure elegance exactly as it sits. I wouldn't change a thang, not even the grips. Pure classic elegance! Nice going John Wayne!

·
Registered
724 Posts
I`m with you guys, you can`t beat the simple elegance of a blue government model colt. Looks like what it is, pure function. No frills, bells, or whistles. Pure business. Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts