1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some good feedback on this forum, I purchased a new Kimber "Target Match" today. It's #46 out of 1,000. Truly an awesome pistol, but I have not fired the first shot yet! I own a Glock and Kahr, prior to purchasing the Kimber. Any advice you can give me on taking care of it, accessories....I need to get a magwell and extra mags and base pads.

This is my first 1911 and I want to do it right. I might be "converted."

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Grats on the new gun!
For now, read the manual, field strip and clean the gun, lube it very generously (more than it says), buy some decent 230 gr. ball ammo, and go shoot. Put some more oil on it after the first 150 rounds. Shoot more.
Clean after 300. Lube, shoot some more. Clean after 500.

If you are having problems with the gun, make sure you have other 1911 shooters give it a try. This will help you to find out if it's the pistol or you getting used to it. Sometimes and with some people, a 1911 takes a little getting used to.

Most important: Be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Congrats

Congrats on your 1911. Follow Kruzr's sage advise to the letter and you won't be sorry. Good shooting and be safe.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Congrats on the new gun, I pick up my Target Match in a few more weeks, I got #12 of 1,000

I have been looking into magwells for that gun too, not sure if I want to take off those grips to accomidate the magwell. I like the way the Heinie magwell looks but don't know if I wan to have my gun machined to fit it, Let me know what you decide to do with yours. Im still up in the air with the magwell, I do want to come to a decision before I get the gun.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re:

Please post a range report....as I am getting ready to purchase a target match also. I have a TLE II and a stainless Ultra carry that have both been flawless.......( no failures at all) so I hope this baby lives up to those 2.

Take care, Mike Arnold

·
Registered
153 Posts
I went to the shop to look at mine today , I still owe $700. The shop owner asked me if I wanted to shoot it. I said no.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mike, I shot my new Target Match for the first time yesturday, and I'm very pleased with it....(see my post in the Range Report forum)
I got 3 Wilson Combat mags (47D) and they worked well, with the only issue being that they don't always drop free of the gun, but I believe this will correct itself after everything has a chance to break-in properly.
I fired 244 rounds, and the only FTF was with the Kim-pro mag that came with the gun.
I got #59, and I personally don't see a need for a mag well, as the gun is already beveled, and the mags seem to find their way in without any problems, however, mine will be used primarily for Bullseye shooting, and not any particular action type compitions...(though I will probably also use it for bowling pin, and steel plate matches)

Do what Kruzr said with cleaning, lubricating, and shooting hardball to break it in, and you should be fine. I found with mine that the trigger assembly felt a bit stiff, but after I cleaned it, and dropped some fresh oil into the trigger, it felt a lot smoother.

I was a died-in-the-wool wheel gunner, but this bottom feeder is sure making me rethink my gun priorities.....

Good luck with it, and I'm sure you'll like your's as much as I like mine.....

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Mike 257 said:
Congrats on the new gun, I pick up my Target Match in a few more weeks, I got #12 of 1,000

I have been looking into magwells for that gun too, not sure if I want to take off those grips to accomidate the magwell. I like the way the Heinie magwell looks but don't know if I wan to have my gun machined to fit it, Let me know what you decide to do with yours. Im still up in the air with the magwell, I do want to come to a decision before I get the gun.
Go with a Wilson Combat magwell or a S&A slimline magwell. They are meant to be used with beveled bottom grips and not look weird.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought one and ended up getting another one for the wife. I ordered a magwell direct from Kimber for mine to keep from tearing up my grips. I'm shooting mine in USPA Limited 10. I'm still working on what loads and mags. I've had problems trying to come up on the right oal to feed reliably.
I'm using both Chip McCormick and Wilson mags. For some reason hers doesn't like the Wilson's but mine prefers them.
The one problem I have with the quality of the guns is no tension on the extractors, could be alot of my problems with both loads and mags. You would think for the money Kimber could have tuned them.
Both guns shoot impressive groups for both of us. x rings disappear fast at 7 and 15 yards. The indoor range we shoot at weekly has large windows where store customers can watch. Right before deer season there were lots of people getting scopes put on and every time I turned around all were watching us. Maybe they were just watching the wife.
Keep it clean as people are always asking questions and wanting a closer look.
For me, they are the best shooting .45s I've ever shot and I've shot alot of them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Guys this is great news , Im glad these guns are working out. Im going to put a few more dollars on mine today.

Bullit5172 thanks for the info on the magwell, I was almost not going to put one on my gun because I thought I would have to change or modify my grips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.