1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anything I need to do special once I get it? Normal cleaning to insure everything is in working order?

Tear it down a few times to learn? I'm new to the 1911 world. After tearing down my Ruger KP90 twice, I couldn't forget how to.

Thanks in advance!!!

· Registered
650 Posts
The 1911 is pretty simple to field-strip. That's a nice side effect of a gun designed for use in the field by soldiers.

I would give it an initial field strip and cleaning, buy a few hundred rounds, and go shoot it. Put about 2-300 rounds through it to get it broken in (you might find some initial issues, if any, get worked out).

Above all, enjoy.

· Banned
7,478 Posts
The 1971 vintage FM23-35 (Pistols and Revolvers) shows detailed disassembly of the M1911A1 pistol. Good enough to allow 18 year old privates and some field grade officers to handle this by themselves without NCO supervision. :rock:

While there are good websites on disassembly the manual is very nice to have on the bench.

Manual is typical gun show item.

-- Chuck

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chamookman said:
Yep - Shoot the sh** out it and have fun! You'll like it - Good luck and post Your first range trip - Bob
I don't know if they make targets big enough for my first range trip, LOL

· Registered
80 Posts
Actually you can do what i did. I realized just how gorgeous it is and just never shot it. Now that i think of it. i probably will not shoot it. Luv that pristine look...gonna have to buy another springer to shoot. Now that is marketing for you a.... beautiful stainless and black oxide..makes you wanna just use it as a show piece...wonder if i can convince wifey to put it in the china cabinet?.....

· Registered
13 Posts
Chuck S said:
Your first shot will be X-ring at 7 yards. After that you'll get cocky and put them all over the target. :)

-- Chuck
:rofl: I just got back from the indoor range with my brand new PX9151L and here's my "report":

7 Feet - 1st shot 1/2" from bullseye, the next 30 or so rounds were in a 1-1/2 to 2 inch group around that one. This is standing by the way and I didn't know I could do that!!!

15 Feet - 14 or so in a 2 inch group about 1/2" low

25 Feet - 14 or so in a 4 inch group (see, I told you I wasn't that good) about 1 inch low.

I have never been happier with a gun, rifle or pistol!! I can hardly wait until it's really broken in to see how well it will do. My have to change my carry PDW to this gun!

· Registered
1,143 Posts
pgreen7436 said:
:rofl: I just got back from the indoor range with my brand new PX9151L and here's my "report":

7 yards - 1st shot 1/2" from bullseye, the next 30 or so rounds were in a 1-1/2 to 2 inch group around that one. This is standing by the way and I didn't know I could do that!!!

15 yards - 14 or so in a 2 inch group about 1/2" low

25 yards - 14 or so in a 4 inch group (see, I told you I wasn't that good) about 1 inch low.

I have never been happier with a gun, rifle or pistol!! I can hardly wait until it's really broken in to see how well it will do. My have to change my carry PDW to this gun!
Dude;

I would wager a 4" group at 25 yards is above average. Where I shoot, I have only seen 2 or 3 people besides myself even attempt to shoot at 25 yards, with a pistol.

Nice shooting.

· Registered
948 Posts
Stormstaff said:
anything I need to do special once I get it? Normal cleaning to insure everything is in working order?
Congrats on your new pistol and welcome to the forum!

To everyone who asks for advice on a new 1911, I offer the following:

First purchase a new recoil spring plug and short guide rod. You can get them from Brownells. In your case:

Part # 634-000-006 - "Gun Runners" blued recoil spring guide (this one is inexpensive at $9.37, it is blued, but you don't see it from outside the gun of course)
Part # 160-119-211 - Colt Recoil spring plug ($17.51)

In my mind the advantage here is that the FLGR in springfield guns requires a hex wrench to take down. I have never had any problem with any of my guns with those two parts I listed there.

Since your gun is a Springfield I would also advise buying a replacement extractor (because the stock extractors in my opinion only are poor) and a spare firing pin stop (because you occasionally hear of firing pin stops on Springfield cracking after a couple thousand rounds. Mine haven't - but YMMV of course. Save yourself money and get these from Brownell's too.

I also recommend purchasing some Wilson Combat magazines. I find the Springfield magazines to be unreliable. There are several styles of Wilson Combat magazines available. Check them out at www.wilsoncombat.com, and once you find what you like, check to see if Brownell's has what you are looking for. I have purchased all of my Wilson Combat magazines through Brownell's.

I found that I didn't really like the ILS (Springfield's special 'internal locking system' present in their mainspring housings)and their stock serrated mainspring housings that Springfield puts on their pistols - so I replace them with 20 or 30 LPI checkered mainspring housings. The highest quality MSH I've ever ordered is the Wilson Combat 30 LPI mainspring housing. With this you will want to order a new standard sized mainspring and a standard mainspring cap. You can re-use the mainspring retainer, retainer pin already in use in your pistol.

I also highly recommend Alumagrips. I have alumagrips on all of my Springfield 1911s so far. I prefer the "aggressive" checkering over their standard checkering, but I still use the standard checkered grips on one of my frequently used 1911s. (This is the only thing on this list that you should really get from the manufacturer themselves - you CAN find some of these grips on Brownell's, but there are so many customizable options if you go to Alumagrips website and click "Build a grip" at the top of the site.)

Later on you might feel like doing a little more work and doing things like putting in your own thumb safety and other nifty tidbits of customization you can perform on your own.

YMMV on all of this, of course, and everyone's opinions on the things I've mentioned here are different. This is just my opinon, not the Only Way of Truth and Right! :)

· Registered
265 Posts
Stormstaff said:
Stormstaff said:
Yes, send it to me to be broken in and fine tuned. :biglaugh:

Enjoy, you're going to love it!

· Registered
265 Posts
"anything I need to do special once I get it? Normal cleaning to insure everything is in working order?"

Yes, send it to me to be broken in and fine tuned. :biglaugh:

Enjoy, you're going to love it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.