1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I just got my Mil-spec operator and havent even shot it yet and now I have to break in a TRP. So far so good..seems like a good fit, safety snaps on and off, sights are clean. I wasnt keen on the 20 lpi on the front strap but I am getting used to the imprints on my hand. Will be shooting it IDPA SAturday then some seriuos break in rounds Monday..500 to start with. Will LYK how it goes as far as accuracy, etc. goes.

------------------
The only thing neccessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Got my TRP Friday and have not shot but, the front night sight is dull, email custom shop but plan to shoot it on Monday to see if there are any other problems. you are right it is tight as a drum and feels great, would of like the checkering to been 25 LPI but I can live with it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally got to shoot it. I sht a IDPA match last saturday..50 rounds of Blazer with no problem. BUT, went to do some break in rounds today. I used Wolf 230 gr.(dept. bought them) First 3 rounds were okay them the slide kept failing to go into battery. this happened for about 10 rounds then we shot the rest(270) without any problems. I am assuming the failure to go into battery was just the new gun thing. Accuracy was prety good. We both pulled alot of rounds to the left at 20 yards. i am assuming it ws trigger manipulation problems on our part. Overall, I am pretty happy with it so far.

------------------

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OOPs..pushed too many buttons. I am def. replacing the full length guide rod with a standard type. After 300 rounds, I got to looking at the front and the guide rod(it is a 2 piece) had worked loose. I dont intend on messing with it as far as lock-tite or whatever. I am also going to change out the magwell with a S&A with no ILS. A freind advised that some officers in his dept. had a problem with the ILS messing up the hammer strut. Less parts to worry about.

------------------

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hello PM 7. Make sure you get a mainspring cap pin, mainspring cap, and a new mainspring for that S&A magwell. Springfield's ILS doesn't require a cap pin and the cap has a deeper pocket than a standard part. The mainspring is shorter than a standard one. You may already know this but I didn't when I changed mine. You may also want to consider changing the titanium firing pin and the XXH firing pin spring that they use. The shorter mainspring that they use required a lighter firing pin. When I went to a standard mainspring I used a steel firing pin (Ed Brown) and a XH spring. I checked with Dave Williams at the custom shop about this and he said it wasn't a bad idea concerning the firing pin. Hope this info helps. Enjoy your new TRP.

Shooter Ready?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the headsup...man, now I have to buy more stuff! Did he say why you had to change the firing pin and spring? I am wondering if a one piece rod work work. I have a S&A magwell on my other S/A now I will have to get the other parts too. Or just use it untill it breaks. UHM>>second though..I will switch it out.

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts