1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During this semester of school I have had a few classes with a guy from Malta (an island in the Mediterranean sea) and have become pretty good friends with him. Surprising to me, he was a hunter like I am and I got to take him deer hunting during the KY muzzle loader season. We got talking about guns, and he was amazed to know that you could just go to a store and buy a gun in America. He has to take a class and fill out papers and wait for any gun he buys in Malta. He even had to take a class before his grandpa could hand down an old Beretta side by side shot gun. Just to show him how great it was to be able to own a gun in America, I took him to his first gun store and it was priceless to watch his amazement as we walked from shelf to shelf. He was especially amazed at the assault rifle section :biglaugh:. This just made me realize that even though we may be nervous about gun control in this country, we still have it pretty good, and it made me very thankful to live in America. It was also fun to introduce another person to American gun culture.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Suppressed desire

I used to know a fellow that owned a gun store and shooting range in Southern California. He said that some of his best customers in the range were Japanese businessmen on trips to the US. Several of them would come in at once and rent several guns, buy a lot of ammunition, and shoot for hours. They would spend hundreds of dollars each. The Japanese were so excited to be able to get their hands on guns, which is almost impossible for them in Japan.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Thats both funny and sad. I had a similar experience when I took some Colombian friends of mine to visit their first American gun store. As we walked through the door, their eyes became as wide as dinner plates:eek: They could not believe the kind of freedom that we enjoy here, they kept asking, do you need to get a permit to buy one? How many months do you have to wait? They explained to me that in Colombia you had to apply for a permit to purchase a gun, then you had to be interviewed by the police or military to make sure they liked you enough to give you a permit, then after many months of waiting they then would issue you a permit allowing you to buy a gun but your choice was extremely limited.

When we got to the assault rifle section, one of my friends said to me upon examining a Bushmaster, "these are nicer than what we had when I was in the Colombian Army." As we walked out of the store, all eyes still miles wide, one guy remarked to another, "when Armageddon hits I know where I'm coming." It certainly helped me to remember how fortunate we are in this country to have the freedoms that we enjoy and how much we have to lose if we fail to protect those same freedoms.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yup the poor Aussies, whose values are very similar to Americans, lost most their gun rights due to dumb politicians. It is a lesson to us in this country.

Also, there are gun ranges in Honolulu and Guam that I've seen that cater almost exclusively to Japanese that like to shoot. I'm not going to pay what they charge but the Japanese don't seem to mind.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves"
A.Lincoln

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He had the same reaction as the Colombians. He got to hold a Desert Eagle .44 mag which was hilarious. Sadly, his dad died and he had to go home this week. We had planned on going shooting next weekend and I was gonna let him shoot his first pistol... my 1911 of course. Hopefully he gets back to KY sometime so I can show him a good time.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Yup the poor Aussies, whose values are very similar to Americans, lost most their gun rights due to dumb politicians. It is a lesson to us in this country.

Also, there are gun ranges in Honolulu and Guam that I've seen that cater almost exclusively to Japanese that like to shoot. I'm not going to pay what they charge but the Japanese don't seem to mind.
Not only did that politian named John W Howard severly restrict us to all types of firearms, but he had the guts to insult us by going in front of a large pro-gun crowd and making a speech about it in a ballistic vest. Soon after he banned ballistic vests in all states.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
But due to new legislation we can shoot without firearms licenses which means Japanese business men also like to come for a shoot over here. Unfortunately no semi-auto long arms or pump action shotguns.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why is a pump action shotgun group into the same area as a semi automatic rifle? Or is that just a whole thread worth of discussion in itself :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Why is a pump action shotgun group into the same area as a semi automatic rifle? Or is that just a whole thread worth of discussion in itself :biglaugh:
Get this no pump action shotguns, but pump action rifles are permitted. It is nonsensical gibberish law making at work.

It seems to me a lot of the poorer countries with a high amount of violent crime tend to ban guns.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
? How does somebody "shoot without firearms".

ETA - Oh, you must mean air rifles, pellet guns, bb guns. Right?
Whoops, I mean without licenses that take 6 months to get or having to attend only club competitions.

Air rifles, pellet guns and bb guns are considered firearms. Discharging a toy (airsoft gun, air rifle, pellet gun and bb gun) outside is treated as if you were discharging a .500S&W. You will get the book slammed on your head as if you were a member of the taliban who commited a terrorist act.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Bacon said:
A mix of dumb and evil politicians.

We use to have a culture exactly like those of the American founders in fact we had a Tax Rebellion in 1854 called the Eureka Rebellion or Eureka Stockade where people (mostly miners) were being overtaxed by the government in the form of the miner's license (which they could never afford to pay) and eventually decided to rebel against them by barricading themselves in a stockade on the gold field. Of course this was the time before gun control so many of the miner bought muskets and pistols (some even had pepper boxes the Tec-9s of their day). After a few days on the Sunday when many of the miners had gone home to their families the Government attacked and the miners who were outnumbered about 3 to 1 were defeated, 5 government soldiers and 30 miners perished. However the political effect of the rebellion resulted in the government changing many of it's policies including dumping the license, eventually releasing the rebellion leaders and working to set up a more democratic process. Some say it created our democratic process we have today.

This never would have had the miners not being armed, if they weren't armed the rebellion would have being quietly but forcefully disbanded by the government and things would never have changed. However when we are taught about this is school we never learn this lesson, in fact it is taught much more like they were all unionists again business not armed individuals against government. The Labor party likes this because they are the Union heroes and the Liberal party (John Howard's party) likes it because it doesn't teach people the value of being armed.

Not only did that politian named John W Howard severly restrict us to all types of firearms, but he had the guts to insult us by going in front of a large pro-gun crowd and making a speech about it in a ballistic vest. Soon after he banned ballistic vests in all states.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
He is a bastard that man, a while after he put in his control laws he actually went ahead and gloated about how he used the grief to push his agenda and how he hated guns, he never even mentioned crime or violence that they always bring up as their arguments, his was just that he hated guns so they had to go:barf:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thank you for filling in some big gaps in my knowledge of your country. Having been to Australia a long time ago, I've known it was built by strong resilient people. Much like the West in America.

Hopefully, the situation in Australia will turn around. If not, move to New Zealand.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thank you for filling in some big gaps in my knowledge of your country. Having been to Australia a long time ago, I've known the it was built by strong resilient people. Much like the West in America.

Hopefully, the situation in Australia will turn around. If not, move to New Zealand.
Better yet, move here to the US of A. We need more guys like you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, my american friends, things can be quite different...
I live in the Netherlands.
Here you can only own firearms if you become a member of a gun-range/club.
For this you need to request for an official document stating you have no criminal background. After this you must be a member of this range/club for at least one year. Then, if you want to purchase a firearm, you need to have at least 12 registered shooting sessions in that past year. Then you can only purchase a firearm which "fits" in one of the disciplines that can be shot at your range. The first year you can only purchase one firearm. After the first year you can buy four more. That's it. Five in total, Unless you're some shooting-prodigy and you can justify needing more guns. As you can understand this hardly ever happens. We can only own semi-automatic weapons, no Smooth bore rifles (semi auto/pump shotguns) Only side-by-side or over-under when you're a hunter (a different story).
But then again, owning a firearm in the Netherlands is based only on the sport-aspect of it. With you guys it is also the right to defend yourself.
We need to keep our weapons in a safe which is anchored to wall and/or floor, with ammo separate. We can get unexpected visits from police to check if we comply with rules & regulations. If you don't, you can kiss your guns goodbye, forever. We can only transport our weapons from home to range or gunsmith/shop via shortest possible route, with weapons stowed in case with ammo separate. (not ready for immediate use)

A long story, but just to give you guys an idea of how things are going overhere in the Netherlands.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
During this semester of school I have had a few classes with a guy from Malta (an island in the Mediterranean sea) and have become pretty good friends with him. Surprising to me, he was a hunter like I am and I got to take him deer hunting during the KY muzzle loader season. We got talking about guns, and he was amazed to know that you could just go to a store and buy a gun in America. He has to take a class and fill out papers and wait for any gun he buys in Malta. He even had to take a class before his grandpa could hand down an old Beretta side by side shot gun. Just to show him how great it was to be able to own a gun in America, I took him to his first gun store and it was priceless to watch his amazement as we walked from shelf to shelf. He was especially amazed at the assault rifle section :biglaugh:. This just made me realize that even though we may be nervous about gun control in this country, we still have it pretty good, and it made me very thankful to live in America. It was also fun to introduce another person to American gun culture.
Neat story.

Depending on how you view it, this is either sad, funny or both, but I had a similar experience with my brother... from New York... He is very envious of our gun laws and access to shooting facilites here in AZ and amazed that he is allowed to carry concealed in AZ with his NY permit and that getting a CCW in AZ does not require jumping through the hoops that it does in NY. It's almost like NY is a different country... :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts