1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently raved about a Ruger SR1911cmd that I am extremely happy with, but a few weeks later, a Sig 1911 C3 came into my hands and I haven't carried anything else since. Alas, however, I cannot afford to keep both pistols and I'm really torn about which one to let go of. Both shoot well, and are as accurate as I am capable of making them. Both feel great in my hand, although different due to the full size vs. the Officers size on the C3. I can shoot all my 1911 mags in the C3, but no C3s in the Ruger due to the length of the Officer model mags.

I have to make a choice in a week or two (long story) and would appreciate input from anyone who has first hand knowledge of these two 1911s.

Which one would you keep as a shooter and ultimately, an heirloom pistol?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Sig has a tighter fit, but I like classic lines and finish of the Ruger so it would be my pic. Just picked up a commander length for Christmas it's become a permanent resident in my range bag.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
Which one would you keep as a shooter and ultimately, an heirloom pistol?

neither will ever be what I consider an "heirloom" pistol.
either would/could be a cherished keepsake to your family after your gone though
(a $17 dollar Ted Williams 22lr single shot rifle could be)

but if a "shooter", which to me means lots of rnds down range in it's life, I'd choose the Ruger being that Sig is a lt wt alloy frame

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Cappi. I would never have thought of that myself. Actually, I was hoping for informed input from someone who has owned either or both of these for a longer period of time than I have, and who may be able to speak for performance after a reasonable break in period. As I stated, the Sig is my preferance at this time, based on ergonomics, but I've only put about 200 rounds through the C3 and about 350 through the SR1911cmd. But thanks for the thought on the alloy framed Sig. Good point.

·
Registered
804 Posts
If your C3 shoots like my SIG RCS (basically the same frame), then I would keep the C3. I own several Ruger guns, and was in the market for the SR1911 a couple of years back, but unable to source one, they are nice guns. I like Ruger, but SIG makes a very quality 1911 with a lifetime warranty. In addition consider the purpose of this gun, if for carry I find the officer grip more comfortable and easier to conceal.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Sell the Sig and keep the capable, yet less expensive Ruger. The Sig can put a bit more money in your pocket now.

You can always buy another later, when you are ready.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have the sig c-3 and like it but it is tight. A little finicky about amo. Doesn't like anything lead. But it does eat most any round ball

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'd keep the Sig. I have a GSR Compact SS that just turned 10k rounds. I would own another one in a heartbeat. Sig has also been building 1911 type guns longer than Ruger and have already gone through the growing pains of learning to build a good 1911...IMHO. I've handled the Ruger at gun stores and they have a more agressive checkering and sharper edges, which would get old quick after a day at the range. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Where as i dont think either is an heirloom....KEEP THE SIG!!!!!Got it,again...KEEP THE SIG!!!!!

Oh,btw, did i say keep the SIG? KEEP THE SIG!!!!!!:D:rofl:

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
:)

Send em both to me. I'll decide for you and send you the other one back.

:rock::rolleyes::rock:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Donate as much plasma as you have to, get a job on the weekends delivering pizzas, just make up the $$$ so you can keep both, but for goodness sake, DON'T SELL A GUN YOU LIKE!!! You WILL regret it....

·
Registered
808 Posts
If you have to get rid of one, then keep the one you shoot the best.

Everyone has a personal opinion, but that is exactly what they are. My personal experience has formed my opinion...I don't like Sig 1911's. Plenty of people do. I've never owned one of the Ruger's so can't chime in there.

Which one do you like and shoot better?

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
It would be nice to keep both if you could, but you said once you grabbed the SIG you have been carrying it, so I would keep the SIG.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts