1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Colt .38 Super for sale. It's a government size (it does not say "Government"...as far as I remember), series 70, alloy or aluminum frame, with a very low serial number ( F000xx). I was told few of these were made.
Appreciate any information you can provide about this gun.
Thanks for your help.....
.....and Happy New Year
Ignacio

·
Registered
72 Posts
Series 70 .38 Super alloy frame

It would be helpful if you provide a more complete description of the Colt as there were at least 3 models in the 70 series that were chambered for .38 super, including full-size and commander. For instance: the markings on the slide and frame - the serial number prefix, and the finish for slide/frame.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Ignacio49 said:
I was told few of these were made.
Colt has never made an alloy framed Government Model as far as I know. Any 70 Series 38 Super would have a serial number starting out 70SXXXX.

Something doesn't sound right. Please provide more info if you can.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Sounds like with a "F" prefix that someone took an aftermarket GM aluminum frame and put a Colt Series 70 Super slide on it. I don't recall any alloy frame GMs coming from Colt nor any serial number beginning in "F"..... Caspian and several others have made aluminum GM frames but not Colt....Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your comments noted - thank you.
I will try to have a closer look at this gun and will report the findings.
Ignacio.:)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Ignacio49

I agree with Superman and Cactus, I think the frame you are referring to is an aftermarket frame. According to my reference (published in 1979) colt has not used an "F" prefix on any 1911. So, if you have the opportunity to look at this pistol again, look for the manufacturers roll marks on the frame. Colt, and most manufacturers, place this on the right side of the frame just above the grip stock and below the frame rail.

Str8_Shot

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Government alloy frame...

I had a look at the frame again. I look everywhere, except under the grips, and found no marks, no letters, nothing - just the s/n F000xx.
The seller insisted that this frame was one of the "few" made by Colt, and it is in original condition. It is made of "Duralumin" (or Duraluminum ?), an alloy of aluminum (92%), copper, manganese (or manganesium) and magnesium. This is very strong, light and durable, and was/is used in aircraft manufacturing industry.
The finish is .....anodizing (anonizado in spanish), and it is black, or almost black.
Does the above ring any bell to you ?
The slide is a Colt government series 70, .38 super.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Colt I believe did not use Duraluminum but "Coltaloy" which was an aluminum alloy with titanium. Call the factory in West Hartford , Conn. They should be able to tell you if it a original serial number.

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all your answers/comments. I posted the same question in several forums and got the same answer. It seems that the frame is not Colt, and I am not buying the gun.
Again, thanks for your help.
Ignacio

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
...how much..

...did this guy want for the "original and rare" Colt?

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SuperMan...

..including a 9mm BarSto barrel, the guy wants $780 (approx, at current exchange rate).

Please note in my country guns cost +/- 2 times what they cost in the US, although I believe the cost of this one is below that ratio. How much would it be in the US - approx number?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Ignacio49

A put together 1911 with a no name frame in the Seattle area would cost between $350 and $550, depending on condition, and if the person that made it was known, and known to do good work.

If we are talking about a real Colt 1911 in .38 Super (steel frame) with a 6-digit serial number, the price in Seattle would be between $850 and $1000 depending on condition.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
...well....

...if the gun was in nice shape, properly built without much ware I would say a minimum of $550.00 if it was in excellent condition, probably more.

Being that you are in Venezuela and that being an aluminum frame, my bet is that frame is from Brazil...like the Springfield Armory light weight GM size gun. There are not too many aluminum frame GM maufactures around. Les Bare, Caspian and SA are the only three that come to mind. There are probably more but you don't see them very often. Any more that anyone can think of???

"IF" that were an original Colt manufactured gun that was of limited manufacture it would probably be worth minimum $2000.00.

How does the price compare to other 1911s he has or that are in other shops of equal condition?

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A common, real Colt Government in .45, used but not abused, would cost here today $700-900 and more, depending on extras. Latest I saw the guy was asking $1100 with 6 mags, with Wilson Combat springs and screws, PT tritium front sight, KRAMER IWB and Fobus paddle holsters, Hogue rubber and Colt special edition (?) wood grips, and a couple of other extras. He has not sold it yet, and is asking a reduced price of $900-950. Prices used to be higher, but my country is going through many serious problems, and people do not have money as they used ....and local currency keeps loosing value...
By the way, I have not heard of many .38 Supers for sale. In fact this is the first I've seen in years! The 9mm is a different story, but the really attractive one is the .45
Regards,
Ignacio

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
CC...

How are your laws on self-defense and concealed carry. Robbery and violent crime still a major problem in your counrty?

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SuperMan,

in principle our laws are based on same or similar concepts as yours: can use lethal force only under certain conditions; excesive force is wrong; escalation of conflict is wrong, ...etc.
Concealed carry....I do not know what to tell you on this regard, other than as far as I know you are supposed to conceal your gun, and not go around showing off. But no matter what the law says, there is a more important reality: you do not show your gun - otherwise sooner or latter the BGs will take it away from you.
Robbery and violent crimes are a major concern, if not THE major concern, besides unenployment.
Back to the laws issue, if you have a problem you better have a good lawyer and be prepared to spend a lot of money. I know this is the same everywhere, but believe me, it is more so here.
Ignacio

1 - 16 of 16 Posts