1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried a couple of these side by side yesterday (in store, dry fire). The trigger on the Smith was much better, at least in single action mode. The DA pull wasn't much different. The grip felt real good, as well. Anybody shot both? Wondering how they compare.

Mikey

·
Registered
133 Posts
Go with the Smith. I have a 686+ in 4 " bbl and it is superb. Its tough to beat an out of the box Smith trigger.

No...I'm not totally biased in favour of Smith ... I own (and carry ALOT) a Ruger SP 101 in 3"bbl .357. Trigger took some getting used to but has smoothed out quite a bit.

Still, for a range/outdoors type .357 (or one for CCW work under heavy clothing) the 686+ is a pretty good choice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a GP100 Ruger, have the Smith as well. I prefer the GP100 by far. Full lug keeps balance better, and I never shoot single action. I bought it for a defense/woods gun, and if you are in a situation wherein you need fast shots or follow ups, best to get what works double action best for you. I got pretty good, rather quickly, just by practicing two shot quick draws, first shot aimed, second a reflex follow up, very accurate.

With Smiths, I have had much powder spray from the cylinder, none with the Ruger. By that I mean, people standing nearby felt some pepper shots out the sides.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I had a older Dan Wesson that I thought was powder spray coming from the cylinder. My brother held up a target near the cylinder gap and we found that it was actually lead. Sent the gun back to have the cylinder retimed.

[This message has been edited by wildbill (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I also shoot the 686 and it is my best handgun for trigger smoothness and accuracy. BTW- the trigger just keeps getting smoother over time. And Wolff makes reduced power springs that will make the DA pull feel like glass if you are into tweaking. Even if you leave it stock, it's the best revolver on the market in my book (and a lot of other books).

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
MrUSMCSniper: the SW 686 does have a full lug barrel as well... are you sure you're talking about the same model SW?

BTW: spray out the side is either a timing problem or excessive cylinder/barrel gap. Either can be fixed pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I currently have a GP100 and had a 686.Both are good but I prefer the Smith
because of the trigger and looks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts