1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on department policies that track patrol cars via GPS and record (audio and visual)every citizen contact. The only time the recording equipment is allowed off is when the officer is taking care of personal business with family. A log must be kept when the recording equipment is turned off also.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Big Negative...Some of our supervisors are micromanagers...also per US Code the records would have to be stored...There are enough Monday Morning Quarterbacks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cc987

Do you mean the tracking logs have to be stored also? I know the citizen contacts are being stored.
Also, what part of the USC will I find requirements for storage under?
Our department is not doing the tracking or recording stuff yet but they have put out bids for some of the equipment. City PD is implementing the citizen recording stuff now.
I am just trying to see what other departments policies are like concerning this equipment.
Seems to be all the rage now.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I see we have some objections. Well, sorry, I am all for them and see no reason why we shouldn't have them. "If" any officer is out there doing his or her job then GPS/Audio/Video can only help us.

As a supervisor I like the fact that I can see where my units are so that I can deploy them on hot calls without trying to visualize it in my head. I also like being able to find a unit that isn't answering up on the radio at 0355 in the morning.

Last but not least I love being able to bring in the tape and shove it up the A _ _ of the lying complaining citizen who thought he/she was going to make some money off the city or just wanted revenge against the officer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
PatrickL has obviously some good advice. I was asking some M.P.'s why they were logging the time of departure from the courthouse and calling it in when they would take "my heroes" off to the pokey. They said it protects them when said ***hole files a complaint that they stopped and roughed him up on the way. Simple math, it takes X amount of time to drive to the pokey and they confirmed their departure and arrival time. No time to beat said ***hole. Another reason why I couldn't be a cop. Everybody (including me at times) assumes they do stupid/bad stuff. Overwhelmig majority are great guys.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've carried a voice activated tape recorder on my belt for a couple years now. It really feels good to play the tape when some SOB is complaining about how I violated their rights or used abusive language.

·
Registered
252 Posts
all records must be kept...our pd is looking at video cameras...the problem arises when one considers how each tape is to tracked and logged..also where are these going to be stored and how. They are not evidence but could become so down the road if an IA investigation or civil suit is started. Are we going to have to use up time better spent out on the street having Sgt's and Lt's deal with cameras in your patrol car...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by cc987:
Are we going to have to use up time better spent out on the street having Sgt's and Lt's deal with cameras in your patrol car...
I am unaware of your rank so I may be stating the obvious to you, but do you have any idea how much time is wasted on the average BS IA? Two years before we got audio and video I spent a total of 212 man-hours on just one IA that I knew was a lie from the get-go and all I would have needed was one lousy video in the cruiser to end it. Hell, I had to monitor the criminal prosecution of the complainant then once that was done on with the IA. Take my word for it, any time spent filing videos is time well spent in the long run.

Now, let’s also be honest with each other. We know that being the subject of an IA is irritating and demoralizing especially one of those IA’s were it’s your word against the complainant. No one likes “undetermined” or ”insufficient evidence” complaints in his or her jacket. Video’s do away with that crap.

There is the old saying, “a stitch in time saves nine.”

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Anything to make our jobs safer out there! How many times would you like to bring a videotape of the 'falling down' drunk you dragged out of a crushed vehicle, to play in court 9 months later when the same idiot is standing in front of the judge trying to say that it was all a mistake, he was, as an 'upstanding citizen' only 'fatigued' from working long hours and the poor officer must have been mistaken!

Also, reminds me of a 'war story' from the start of my career. In the days before video/audio in police vehicles I was transporting a drunk arrested at the scene of a violent domestic dispute. Enroute to H.Q., cuffed from behind, and sitting in the back seat of the P.C., he began to smash his face on the steel and plexi-glass shield separating us. He went on to wonder out loud, over and over, as he did this, how I was going to explain his injuries at the 'internal' he was going to bring against me and the Dept. I keyed my 'mike' open and caught it all on the tape of radio transmissions in the Communications Centre. The idiot never did make a complaint, a transcript of his dialogue was included in the Court report. His lawyer just eventually made a plea bargain. I never saw him again.

Yes, I think this technology could help us LEO's. Regards, NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts