1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

How does the grain number affect the recoil on a given round?

For example, 124 vs 147 for my 9mm, and 165 vs 180 for my .40. I hope these numbers are right.

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
All other things being equal, a lighter bullet generally gives a lighter felt recoil. How much less is very subjective. I don't feel any difference between 124 gr. and 147 gr. in 9mm. I don't feel a lot of difference (some, but not much) in .45 either between 185 gr. and 230 gr.

Good shooting stance and grip goes a long way to controlling recoil, not the weight of the bullet coming out the muzzle.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The felt recoil difference between the 200gr and the 230gr was incredible. I have a pretty good stance too Shane!
I shoot far better with 200gr than I do the 230. My favorite defense round is the 200gr EFMJ +P, and that doesn't even have the recoil of a 230gr.

I'm firing on an aluminum frame, maybe that has somethingot do with it?

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

[This message has been edited by Gargoyle (edited 10-31-2001).]

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Originally posted by Skunkabilly:
Hi,

How does the grain number affect the recoil on a given round?

For example, 124 vs 147 for my 9mm, and 165 vs 180 for my .40. I hope these numbers are right.

It is not merely the weight of the bullet but the relative power of the load that has the most effect on felt recoil. There is a rather complicated formula but you can come fairly close by using the IPSC/IDPA "Power Factor" which is Bullet Weight X Velocity divided by 1000. i.e. a 124 @ 1100 = a PF of 136.4 while a 135 @ 1000 would be 135.

Don't try to get too much out of this. It is really only good when comparing loads in weapons of similar design because the weight and design of the weapon is a very important factor.

Hope this helps,
Cordially,
Jim Higginbotham

1 - 4 of 4 Posts