1911Forum banner

Grand Raptor or?

792 4
I'm trying to decide between a Grand Raptor or the Target match. Would there be any differences beside cosmetic? I think they both get assembled in the Custom shop. Just trying to get some other opinions. Thanks, Dave
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Super Moderator
17,661 Posts
Usage

What's it going to be used for? If using for a carry gun the Raptor would probably be better - target sights have a tendency to hang on clothing during draw from holster. I strictly a range gun I'm sure either will provide you with many rounds of happy shooting. If going into competetive bullseye shooting, the target sights of the Target Match are probably an advantage. In the end, it is really going to boil down to which one you desire most.

· Registered
218 Posts
Other than cosmetics, your paying extra for adjustable night sights, the target match doesn`t have a fireing pin safety or external extractor which the grand raptor has. On the plus side you wouldn`t have to refinish the frame if you had a magwell blended into it cuz the frame's stainless.

· Registered
694 Posts
Either or?

Grandpas50AE said:
What's it going to be used for? If using for a carry gun the Raptor would probably be better - target sights have a tendency to hang on clothing during draw from holster.
The Grand Raptor II does come with the adjustable night sights as opposed to the Raptor II which comes with the non-adjustable sights.

My Grand Raptor II has the external extractor but has never once failed to extract in over 1500 rounds so far. I have found it to be quite accurate also.

I do not carry the Grand Raptor II though, I carry my Kimber Pro CDP II instead. The CDP is much lighter and as Grandpas50AE states, "target sights might snag on clothing".

· Registered
307 Posts
I've never shot a Grand Raptor, but to me, the one I handled looked like it was put together with spare parts that Kimber had laying around. They sould have used the Zebrawood grips on the GR like they did on the other Raptors.

I can, however, vouch for the Target Match. Do a search and read some of my other posts on the TM.

Here is my wife's with a Wilson Speed Chute I installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.