1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you do it? By that I mean, what is your procedure for applying the various gun orientated greases on the market today? I use an artist's detail brush that I picked up at Wal-Mart to brush Tetra gun grease onto the slide rails and barrel lugs. CLP goes everywhere else. If any one knows, how does Bill Wilson recommend applying grease on a 1911.

Thanks to all,
catmath 1911

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Use any method that gets the grease where it needs to be! My favourites are fingers, Q-tips and toothpicks.

·
Registered
645 Posts
PoodleShooter -

Didn't I see you on the KTOG and Glock Talk boards? Good to hear from you again.

MadDog

·
Registered
57 Posts
whatever brand of lube you choose, go with a synthetic PTFE-based product. Mil-Comm Products TW-25B, for example, goes on thin, so it is characteristically dry, so debris doesn't buildup. Also, you get to truly minimize friction and wear, which is an inevitable scenario for revolvers. But maybe not.
www.mil-comm.com

·
Registered
354 Posts
As per the Bill Wilson video on proper 1911 maintenance I purchased long ago, the correct way to apply grease is to just squirt, smear, and wipe off the excess. Personally, I use my fingers, but then, I am a bit uncultured, I guess.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Open bucket, drop pistol into grease...Retrieve string with pistol on end. Use leather gloves to wipe first layer of grease from pistol. Use cleaning rag to remove the next layer of grease. Last layer is removed with paper towel and q-tips.
Gloves are now rubbed vigorously to finish impregnation and Voila'...gloves are ready for work, pistol is ready for work and I am ready for shower in Simple Green...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Use a hobby-sized paint brush for the thin types of lube like Tetra Gun. Apply to the rails of the frame & slide, as well as the inside of the bushing - where it contacts the barrel.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Actually, I use Tetra Gun products too. Spray the Tetra cleaner/lube to all those hard to reach places, smear the straight Tetra Gun lube on all other surfaces with fingers and or Q-tips, until entire gun is coated inside and out.

Wipe off excess from all surfaces - practically dry in most places as Tetra lubes and protects against rust even dry.

Swab bore with a dry patch or three finishing with clean mop - buffing the bore. Apply grease - using a toothpick to dab little spots of it along rails and all other important places.

Re-assemble gun. Rack slide several times to distribute grease. Wipe outside of gun with cotton rag. Stand gun up (barrel uppermost) with hammer down on some paper towel, tissue or cotton cloth - magazine well stuffed with same. After several hours in the sun, or in a warm place - remove paper etc, thoroughly buff whole outside of gun.

Magazines themselves get a similar treatment.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I use Wilson's Ultra Lube. The syringe works nice for applying the grease. I lightly grase the frame/slide rails, and the locking lug area. I use Rem-Oil on the rest of the gun to prevent rust.

I haven't shot outdoors in the winter up here yet, so I'm not sure if the grease will do its job or not. It might be too cold, and I might have to switch to an oil lube instead.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I also use a syringe type applicator. I apply it sparingly between the rails. Too much is not good either. Just attracts too much crud and becomes messy.
Shooters Choice synthetic or Neco Moly Grease in a small tube. Nothing slips easier than the Neco stuff. 60% pure Molybdenum Disulphide.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Tetra grease is some good stuff. Have my gun running slick. I don't need any additional lube.

One thing, I guess tetra grease works best when applied and rubbed in good with a soft rag or paper towel. When properly applied you should see no indication of grease what- so-ever. Tetra also claims you only need to use it once every 1000 rounds. I applied four coatings on my Kimber to start a good polymer base and then a coat every now and then.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts