1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas. I'm getting ready to break down the frame and give it a good cleaning. All of my guns will be kept in my safe for 3 years while I'm over in Japan and I want to ensure the inside of the frame doesn't develop any rust. Do you guys use grease or oil on the internal components and inside of the frame? Also, how often do you break down the frame for cleaning?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
booty check his profile and look under occupation..anyways i have been doing some research about oil etc...i would reccomend using synthetic oil for internals and rails..and slip the gun into a "gun sock" , and make sure it stored in a climate controlled area. no extreme temps. humidity, etc.. semper fi.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Break your gun down, use RIG on all the pieces and reassemble. I've put guns away for several years in attics and such using this method with no problems. Misawa or Yokota? I spent 3 years at Misawa, 1989-92, great duty station!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Break your gun down, use RIG on all the pieces and reassemble. I've put guns away for several years in attics and such using this method with no problems. Misawa or Yokota? I spent 3 years at Misawa, 1989-92, great duty station!
What's RIG?

Okinawa.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
booty check his profile and look under occupation..anyways i have been doing some research about oil etc...i would reccomend using synthetic oil for internals and rails..and slip the gun into a "gun sock" , and make sure it stored in a climate controlled area. no extreme temps. humidity, etc.. semper fi.
I'll be keeping all my firearms in my Browning safe. I have a dehumidifier bar for it and will also be putting a few socks filled with desiccant in there as well. My dad is going to tend to those items and will reactivate the desiccant every so often and inspect the weapons for any corrosion.

I'm planning to just spray them all down with Birchwood/Casey Barricade and let the safe do the rest.

What kind of synthetic oil on the innerds and the slide? Motor oil?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have fun in japan. I just got back after 3 1/2 years there (sasebo) and hated it :eek:
It's not THAT bad but sasebo and the command I was at sucked.

Your original question has pretty much been covered though :)

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Put them in a tupperware container, pour in a qt. or 2 of motor oil so they are covered, put the lid on. Finished. (Make sure you take the grips off.)

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I believe that both Brownell’s and MidwayUSA sell “blue bags” that are plastic long-term firearm storage bags (think Ziploc bags for handguns and long guns) that are treated with a rust inhibitor specifically or firearm storage.

Breakfree also makes a version that is specifically for firearm preservation/collecting (I think that they still make it) and I would spray that on them and put them in individual “blue bags” for storage (I’d still try to avoid it being in any area with temperature swings and try to leave them in a safe spot inside).

BTW – be careful about “trusting” safe storage to friends or certain family… things can wander off while you are gone for deployment.

Good luck and Semper Fi…

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe that both Brownell’s and MidwayUSA sell “blue bags” that are plastic long-term firearm storage bags (think Ziploc bags for handguns and long guns) that are treated with a rust inhibitor specifically or firearm storage.

Breakfree also makes a version that is specifically for firearm preservation/collecting (I think that they still make it) and I would spray that on them and put them in individual “blue bags” for storage (I’d still try to avoid it being in any area with temperature swings and try to leave them in a safe spot inside).

BTW – be careful about “trusting” safe storage to friends or certain family… things can wander off while you are gone for deployment.

Good luck and Semper Fi…

I'll definitely look into the blue bags. I'm not really worried about storage as all my firearms will be kept inside my Browning safe in a safe location in doors.

·
Registered
582 Posts
RIG (rust inhibitive grease) is kinda old school. You can still find it in a few places. Comes in a small yellow can. Kinda like the cosmoline that the old military rifles used to be packed in. I've never had a gun that I "RIGged" rust on me. You put a thin layer on all the metal parts and wipe it off when they come out of storage. Have fun on Okinawa! Be sure to visit Okuma Rec area on the Northwest end of the island. I turned down an assignment there when I was young and stupid......

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RIG (rust inhibitive grease) is kinda old school. You can still find it in a few places. Comes in a small yellow can. Kinda like the cosmoline that the old military rifles used to be packed in. I've never had a gun that I "RIGged" rust on me. You put a thin layer on all the metal parts and wipe it off when they come out of storage. Have fun on Okinawa! Be sure to visit Okuma Rec area on the Northwest end of the island. I turned down an assignment there when I was young and stupid......
WOW! Which service allowed you to turn down an assignment? If you do that in the USMC they send you packing.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Put them in a tupperware container, pour in a qt. or 2 of motor oil so they are covered, put the lid on. Finished. (Make sure you take the grips off.)
That is similar to what we referred to in the pump industry as "pickling" only we used diesel fuel. I am a novice when it comes to guns, but pumps stored that way would be good for years & years. The outside was only concern, if not in controled atmosphere.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah - I "turned down" a 3rd tour to Vietnam, and they were *not* happy! I was a SSgt at the time....... :)

The Gunny
So they basically asked you if you wanted to volunteer to go again? They obviously didn't order you to go or you wouldn't have gotten promoted from SSgt to Gunny if you denied orders.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts