1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own HK, Taurus, Glock etc and now a 1911 Kimber. I found a copy of the out of print Kunhausen "Colt 1911" book but there are differences in the Kimber. I also wanted to learn more about how guns work (god knows 1911 owners better learn fast!)and basic home shop repairs etc. I ordered a book from amazon.com called "Gunsmithing pistols and revolvers" by Patrick Sweeney. This book is awesome!!!! Covers 1911 & uses a Kimber in the photos, Glock, Beretta etc etc. Talks about tuning, cleaning etc. Written for a beginner up to the advanced in very plain language and great illustrations. Buy it!
BT

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hey. I live close. How about I just borrow yours?

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
384 Posts
brookstexas, I bought the same book direct from the author. Since he's the president of my gun club, I got an autographed copy at a substantial discount (essentially, the autograph was free).

I agree with your evaluation about how detailed, well-written and user friendly this book is, and told Pat so in front of the membership at one of our recent meetings. I was immediately accused by all present of giving a paid endorsement, but it was just a case of my getting more than I expected, and thanking him for it.

By the way, he also has companion books out covering rifles and shotguns.

------------------
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Originally posted by Robb:
I am sure you gentleman are up to date, but I wanted to be certain that you are aware that there are TWO Kuhnhausen books on our beloved pistol.

1. Volume 1. The Colt .45 Automatic, A Shop Manual.

2. Volume 2. The U.S. M1911/M1911A1Pistols & Commercial M1911 type Pistols. A Shop Manual

I was not aware that they were out of print.
Try http://www.gunbooks.com/catalog.html

Seems like they show both in stock. I've also seen ads in "Gun List".

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Amazon.com has been contacted by myself, the publisher of Jerry's books and who knows else about the books being in print but they don't want to list them for some reason.

Slapshot, when you see Pat again, tell 'em hi from one of the old SECOND CHANCE SHOOT group.

------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of GOD, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

·
Registered
384 Posts
Jim V, will do.

------------------
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i just customized my 1911,and it was a time consuming project. but it was well worth every effort and exspense
another good book on 1911's is by SWEENEY", you can find it at local book stores. i found mine at hasting's video and music and books store. alot of easy and comprehansive information.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your kind words. You'll be pleased to know that my 4th book, devoted solely to the 1911, is due out in early Fall. I start with the basics, then dive into testing 30 different pistols. I testing, I with the help of some friends, consumed 36,000 rounds of ammo. (It's a dirty job...)

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Hi Patrick, welcome to the Forum.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hello there, Mr. Sweeney. I'm up to installing mercury guide rods now.
I don't have a 1911 to work on, but it's interesting reading anyway.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Mr Sweeney - big welcome. Let us know when and how to get the fourth (1911) book. Heck, for an advance copy I'd even post a book review right here on this very forum

------------------
Rust never sleeps

·
Registered
861 Posts
With deference and greetings to Mr. Sweeney , I found the Kuhnhausen books listed in the latest Midway catalogue. Volume 1 is $25.99, and Volume 2 is $30.99. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
How bout Layne Simpson's Custom 1911 book?Anyone read/suggest it for someone planning to customize their stock 1911?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts