1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Rafter S Holster recently. It is great.

It is tan cowhide with shark on the support band and sweat guard. It fits the gun great. It is fairly tight and secure feeling on my SA.

More later. . .
Gotta go!

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Man I was stingy on the first post! I was at work. Anyways, these are great rigs. Steve was helpful in selecting what I wanted and very willing to do the job a little custom. For that he can't be thanked enough. He was very helpful and descriptive on the phone. We discussed each piece in detail and for a semi custom order over the phone, I was confident that he and I were on the same page. I followed it up with an email of the details. I always like writing stuff down. I usually get so excited that I forget my belt size or something! No problem I just dropped them another email.

Delivery time was a bit slower than quoted, but before I said I needed it. That was fine. Apparently they had trouble getting some leather.

The holster is a slightly canted Askins type rig. I believe that is the right name. I was told that my holster was a bit thin for a more "detailed" boning job. It was plenty thick. It holds the gun so well that it really needs to be on the belt to get it out easily. The holster just took a few draws to break in. The mag carrier may take a few more. The holster is brown cowhide with a band of shark to offset the cowhide color. It looks good. The sweat guard has a nice indentation to fit the safety in the on position. The sweat guard also does a nice job of covering the safety and top of the gun with out affecting the draw. It seems to me that if this piece isn't cut just right that i would just get a handful of holster whe drawing. This one was cut good IMHO.

The mag carrier was probably the best piece. It really seems to pull itself in to my waist. To me it feels as comfortable as carrying a single mag. They fit my body tight without gouging my side. I'm not sure why this carrier was any more comfortable.

Every piece was just a very simple time tested design which was executed flawlessly. I wish I had owned a Rosen, Galco or Kramer before because I probably never will now!

I think that is it for images. I hope you like them. If you have a picture of a Rafter IWB, please post a picture and report, because I may be in the market for one soon!

[This message has been edited by Nathan (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nathan , Thanks for the very kind words on the Gear . I will tell Steve that you really liked them and about the Photos . We really like serving people and its all worth it when they are as happy as you . Thanks again and we look forward to serving you in the future . Shannon

------------------
S.L. Caldwell
Leathercrafter
Rafter S Gunleather 417-277-5636
www.raftersgunleather.com

·
Registered
285 Posts
Folks I mention that the thumb gaurd on Nathans holster is an extra feature and is available as a special order item if you state you want it . As for the leather , it was held up in shipping which caused a delay in shipping time . We now are back to full speed and doing well so bring it on Guys .

------------------
S.L. Caldwell
Leathercrafter
Rafter S Gunleather 417-277-5636
www.raftersgunleather.com

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for clarifying those few points. In addition. . .I think delivery was less than 8 weeks and before the deadline that I requested. 8 weeks seems more like normal from the other makers without problems. Anyways, no big deal. Oh yea, I forgot to mention the Shark trim and "sweat guard" were some extra, but not enough to worry about. If you want them get them. If not don't. Personal choice.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hey Nathan,
I gotta admit, your new carry rig looks mighty good! I really liked the contrasting tan leather with black sharkskin trim. Gives it a classy look. Maybe I should talk to the guys at Rafter S

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congratulations Nathan,

I strongly agree that the quality is superb and I would like to thank Mr.Caldwell for keeping his word on delivery date.

P.S. And I thought I was the first Rafter S
guy in Japan!

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually only the belt is in Japan with me! My dad has the rest. I wish I could keep gun and all here, but. . .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nathan,

You can always practice with air soft guns
while you are in Japan. Some of them have
same weight and I find even better accuracy than the real guns.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure how I feel about those soft air guns. On one hand, I could keep in shape with them and even use it in the US for safe in the home practice. but. . .I get this feeling like I'm sucumbing to the anti-gunners desires when I pick one of these up. Isn't that really what the anti's want. That would be great in their eyes. . .Americans thinking that buying a soft air gun is really buying a gun. I'm not sure if I can take the step.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well, I did the search and your pics are better than the website. I bought the sharkskin (haven't received it yet) for a new Wilson - haven't received it yet either!

------------------
Whoever said you can’t buy happiness never owned a good 1911!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I bought a holster/belt/mag pouch from Rafter S a while back, and am extremely pleased. I didn't get as fancy as Nathan ... just a black holster/belt/mag pouch. I didn't get the thumb guard, and the lack of it has not been a problem at all for me. The bottom line, though: An excellent quality holster at the best prices I've seen. I would definitely buy from these folks again.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't hate me. Actually, I asked for a lot and I'm really happy with this rig. To torture me though, my SA pistol has been back to SA once and maybe soon twice and I have been in Japan(not able to shoot or wear my gun) for most of the time that I have owned both.:(

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can relate. My wife (what a sweetie) took me to the gun shop and, after I picked it out, bought a Kimber Pro Eclipse II for me for xmas.
Immediately after the purchase, it went into it's case, straight home, got wrapped and is sitting under the tree.

I haven't even seen it in the daylight ! This is killing me so I can't imagine how rough your "separation" must be..

Happy Holidays, P

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is cruel. It needs to be shot! At least Christmas is soon. I believe I have some reloading stuff under the tree in America waiting for me!! I'm trying to be good for ol' Santa!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts