1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ok bench from a friend that I made into a reloading bench. But the lower level of my house is unfinished, and I would like a great reloading bench. Any tips or pics, thanks, Max.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by Maxthemutt:
I have an ok bench from a friend that I made into a reloading bench. But the lower level of my house is unfinished, and I would like a great reloading bench. Any tips or pics, thanks, Max.
Refer to my post "Where Joy is Made" on this page.

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gargoyle, however, I hope they keep this thread open because mine seems more specific.
Plus this is my favorite sight ever!!! I saw the bandwith problems, sorry.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am just getting back into reloading . I used to shoot Trap and had to reload to be able to practice then my reloading room ( a 25 ft. box from a truck) burned to the ground from a lightning strike on a nearby tree .
I just got the Lee anniversary kit and a RCBS powder trickler . Right now I am doing 308 winchester rounds and getting ready to do some 45s . My bench I built is 24x24 and constructed with 4x4 legs . and 2x12s on top for the table , I put 2x4 leg braces around the bottom and top and mounted a Stack-on compartment tray on the back top side using two 1 inch oak stakes . I finished it all with walnut stain after sanding it all smooth . Its heavy enough that it is solid but compact enough that I can move it around to whichever room I want to be in . I dont yet have a scanner so cant post pics . But heres the specs .

Legs are 28 1/2 ( makes it 30 inches to top)
top is 24 x24 ( ok 23 5/8 by 23 5/8 )

has four 2x4s around top under table top . and three around the bottom about six inches from the floor leaving the front open for my legs . Its all screwed together and is solid enough to build an engine on top of .

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Plans are great, but I wish I could have seen some actual working bench pics.

·
Registered
259 Posts
For my bench, I bought an undrilled, solid core, maple venier door (32" x 84") as a reject from a lumber store. I paid $30 for it, and it is the nicest surface I have found for working on without having to pay the price for butcher block.

I welded up a frame out of 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" by 1/8" thick steel angle iron. I welded 5/8" nuts on the bottom of the 4 legs and I use 5/8" bolts that screw in and out to act as levelers. I bolted 1/2" plywood on all but the front side of the frame to solidify it. The benchtop is bolted on from the bottom by way of 1/4" threaded inserts. The inserts prevent the ugly bolt heads that stick out on the top.

It is VERY STUDY, and works better than I had imagined. The total cost to me was under $100.

I would be willing to rustle up a picture or two if someone will give me directions for attaching them to a post.

·
Registered
516 Posts
My bench is laminated butcher block 18 feet long and sets on 6 oak base cabinets. There are 2 oak wall cabinets that hang on each end. One for metalalic ammo and one for shotgun. My components are in the base cabinets. My Dillon is mounted on a block of 3/4 plywood one end. When I want to use my Hornady, I remove the Dillon and put the Hornady in its place. My RCBS Jr is in the middle of the bench. When I bought the house the basement was totally empty and it took me several years to get my gun room the way that I wanted. My only mistake was listening to my wife and contractor and not putting more lights in the ceiling.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maxwayne, how do you move the dillion. Is it bolted down or clamped? I've thought about making mine semi mobile but was worried about it being strong enough.

·
Registered
230 Posts
can anyone see the above photo? Would someone please email me on how to get this photo to show?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wow, CockedandLocked, you did it. How did you post the photo? I have been going to the photo, leftclicking on it, selecting create shortcut, and putting that between the {img} {/img} brackets. What are you doing differently?

Bob

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally posted by OKC .45 ACP:
Wow, CockedandLocked, you did it. How did you post the photo? I have been going to the photo, leftclicking on it, selecting create shortcut, and putting that between the {img} {/img} brackets. What are you doing differently?

Bob
Use the [] instead of {} Also right click the image ... copy image location ... then paste the location between the

Also another hint when you post a pic on a server lower the resolution ie: 800x640 or 640x480 that way your pics wont overwelm the page

[This message has been edited by CockedandLocked (edited 10-19-2001).]

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CockedandLocked, thats great, both the pic and the bench. What are the rough measurements of the bench top (height and depth)? Do you use the tumbler in the house? Thanks, Max

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally posted by Maxthemutt:
CockedandLocked, thats great, both the pic and the bench. What are the rough measurements of the bench top (height and depth)? Do you use the tumbler in the house? Thanks, Max
Sorry Max this is a pic of OKC's bench as he was having problems posting a pic, I think its the one in the NRMA bench plans, but to answere your question, yes I run my tumbler in the house, I may get my digi out and post a pic later

1 - 20 of 24 Posts