1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 2 weeks, I've been trying to find a gunsmith willing to perform some trigger work, dehorning, link-pin installation, and refinishing of my SVI-Limited gun. I was amazed how difficult it was to even get a simple "yes" or "no" response from what I thought were "high-end" gunsmiths. In fact, only 1 of 4 of these gunsmiths even gave me a return e-mail.

With frustration brewing, I thought I'd contact the SVI factory (figuring they would also be busy). I sent an e-mail using their RMA (return material authorization) system and BAM!! the next morning, I had an RMA number, a cost estimate, an estimated lead time (1 week), and a personalized response from Brandon Strayer. Needless to say, my pistol was sent via Fed-Ex the next day.

I'm amazing at the responsiveness of SVI. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
When contacting 'smiths it is often better to do so by phone. Some smiths aren't whiz bang computer saavy and other's are slow to respond by email as most can talk faster than they can type.

Glad you got such great service from SVI though. They should be experts with their own products too :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strayer-Voight Factory Service

For those that have read my saga in trying to find the elusive gunsmith, I wanted to post a follow up on Strayer-Voigt's service. As mentioned previously, I submitted an electronic request to SVI for some gunsmithing work. The next morning, I had a return-authorization #, a quote, and an estimated 1-week lead time.

Well...my pistol arrived to SVI on Friday and to my shock and amazement, they completed ALL work (and more) in ONE day!!! By Saturday, I had an e-mail saying the work was complete. I guess the gunsmithing planets came into complete alignment.

I am amazed they could (a) reblue all parts on my pistol, (b) replace my trigger and check the internals; (c) dehorn my ambi safety [not just rounding the edges, but totally cutting and reshaping it], (d) install an oversize link pin, (e) replace my front sight, and (f) install a brand-new breach face in the slide.

The pistol looks awsome. However, the most impressive thing is that my slide/frame/barrel is now completely TIGHT. Apparently, SVI frames are unique in that they have an replaceable breach face which allows changing betwen calibers. I guess mine was worn so SVI installed a new one. All I know is that it feels like a single chunk of steel (just like brand new). NOw, I'm off to the range to go and test it out.

Thanks again to Brandon Strayer at SVI for the great service. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
SVI Service

Big Daddy said:
When contacting 'smiths it is often better to do so by phone.
"Often" in this case does not include SVI :). Use of the SVI RMA system is more reliable than a phone call, since each RMA goes into a tracking database. Whenever there is a new RMA request, or a customer update to an existing RMA, the system automatically displays a big red reminder box on the computers at the factory. It's not possible for this to be overlooked or dismissed, as the user interface to take down the reminder box at the factory requires that an update be provided to the customer. They do not let new RMA requests, or requests for a status update to just "sit there".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts