1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Augie" (only name I know him by at this point) is a retired LEO having worked his way up to become the Police Chief of multiple local area departments, among a number of other things, one of which was being one of the premier shooters and weapons trainers in this area. He is one well respected man for both his shooting ability and for being a true gentlemen.

I had heard stories about Augie from local LEO's (both active and retired) who he had worked with and/or trained. Talking with him last night at the cigar shop I got a good overview of how he became the shooter he still is.

As a young man he learned point shooting drawing and firing one handed from the hip or from slighly higher up. Back then it was all he knew in terms of shooting so as he shares, he got real good at it before going on to learn serious aimed fire as an LEO. He preferred one handed shooting as it was faster for him than going to a two handed grip. He was known for taking almost any gun he came across, particularly duty issue weapons and consistantly centering out the target whether point shooting one handed from the hip, one handed aimed, or two handed aimed. The point shooting he did was particularly impressive in its accuracy. His own preferred weapons were a S&W hammerless snub nose .38 and his custom modded COLT .45. With either of those he is deadly with gun in hand literally being one of the most accurate shooters in our area. His favorite trick and one he is renown for locally is taking his S&W, flipping it upside down and firing with his little finger with consistant tight COM hits at the usual closer shooting distances and still impressive hits further out. He was also known to do this with the department duty issue GLOCKS (and others) when someone was saying their gun was not accurate. Firing one handed he fired it normally, then tilted sideways to the left, then tilted sideways to the right and then flipped it upside down firing with his little finger before handing it back to the officer with the comment that the "gun seems to be working properly." He was recorded as having taken a weapon, flipping it upside down and firing three rounds into a clover like pattern with his little finger. Another favorite trick is taking a weapon in hand and shooting playing cards in half. The cards were mounted in a T at roughly 5 to 7 yards out. Using one hand or two hand aimed fire he would split one card with the first round and the second card with the second round. Accurately hitting multiple widely spaced targets to his left and right while shooting from the hip was also a standard for him.

As a 1911 lover (his favorite gun is his custom modded COLT) he keeps 8 spare mags in the driver side door pocket. His COLT is also in the car along with another spare mag. He says that although he knows that a gunfight is usually over within seconds and with less than a mag being fired he has taken the lesson of the FBI shootout to heart and that he will not be caught short on ammo if the time ever comes. His S&W is always on his side.

He was known for teaching skills that helped officers survive shoot outs. Along with being an excellant shooter and trainer, he is one fine gentlemen willing to share his years of shooting experience with anyone interested in learning.

Being one of those folks who can't point shoot worth a crap the stories being shared by those who have seen him do it were fascinating.

As to advice relating to surviving a gun fight. Know your gun and know yourself. Practice till you are confident you can "own the situation". Practice in highly stressed conditions so that you to focus well enough to tune out everything except what has to be done. Learn to control you bodies desire to go crazy when the SHTF.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sounds to me like the Chief missed his calling as an exhibition shooter for $$$.:)
From what I have heard from others he could handle a rifle (particularly a sniper rifle) equally as well. I had already heard of some of his rifle exploits from a couple of the SWAT team members and those exploits were equally impressive. :eek: He mentioned rifles when we talked saying that that although he could handle a rifle (he did not share just how well) he never really took to shooting them much as he was a mainly a hand gun type of guy. Oh well.............

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Sounds like that would be a great guy to invite to the range! I'm sure it would be an honor to experience him shooting firsthand.:)

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sounds like that would be a great guy to invite to the range! I'm sure it would be an honor to experience him shooting firsthand.:)
Agreed.

A couple of months back a good friend from the cigar shop became a first time gun owner (Taurus PT 1911). He then had the distinct pleasure of being able to have a first time out shooting lesson with Augie. He came away very impressed with what he saw shooting wise, as well as gaining some solid advice on how to handle and fire his new purchase.

I had not thought about asking him to meet me at the range as I know he is a very busy man. Although he is retired he does travel a lot, but I may have to give that some second thought.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts