1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished a great training session with Gabe Suarez of Suarez International. It was titled "Close Range Gunfighting" and that was a very accurate description. His expertise in this area was evident as he spoke of several gunfights that he had been in and used these very tactics to survive. I apreciated that since I have trained with other guys that could talk good game, but had never been there or done that. Gabe covered lots of movement with his shooting techniques and continually emphasized that gunfights do not occur in a static environment, they require movement. He taught about the OODA loop and how movement on your part makes the opponent take time to re-aquire, thereby increasing your chances of surviving. The most important part of the school for me was his instruction on mental preperation and what to do after the fight is over. he taught about the legal hurdles that follow as well as how to avoid the pitfalls that come from today's society and its views on self defense. Lastly, he taught us to be Fight Focused, not gun Focused. This point came clearly when one student's gun malfunctioned while we were doing close contact drills. As many of us have trained, the student had a malfunction and stood there trying to clear it...less than a foot from the target. As gabe pointed out, you must keep fighting at that range, if it means beating them with the gun...fight on. The goal is to win the fight and the enemy will not stand there while you work on your gun. Be Fight Focused! I have been through some great firearms training at the Federal Level, but I truly learned a lot in those two days and I Would highly recomend Gabe Suarez as a tactical instructor. Check out his website and forum at
http://www.suarezinternational.com

1 - 2 of 2 Posts