1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a RSA mfg. Griffon this past week and found it following me home. Take down revealed a good tight fit, not as good as my Kimber but better than all the low end 1911s I've seen recently. Moderate amount of machine marks on the dust cover. I assume from a sloppy weld? The slide porting is a nice way to introduce dirt but serves little purpose w/o barrel porting.
Front dovetailed PT night sight is nice and bright green, the adjustable red rear sights are unusual though and take some getting used to. They "seem" dimmer but it could just be the color. Grip safety is standard Colt i.e too flat to apply a high grip (IMHO) but functional. There's a small chip in the matte finish but it's going to be swapped out for a King's BT anyway. The back and frontstrap are serrated lengthwise and add some grip but not as much as my CDP Pro's checkering. The MSH is metal though unlike the CDP Pro. (Kimber are you listening?)Nice aluminum adjustable trigger with a mild amount of vertical play but it breaks cleanly at 5#.
At the range it digested everything I fed it w/o ftf. Better accuracy with ball ammo than JHP but to be honest the ball was 230gr and the other was 185.
Only plans (for now) are to add the Kings BT grip saftey, Wilson mag well I have sitting here and a pair of Gunsite grips.
All in all well worth the money and it will make a nice plinker.

[This message has been edited by ebachman (edited 07-24-2001).]

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ebachman. I have not seen meany posts about the Griffon and I do appriciate yours. Also, I have not yet seen a copy of the gun in person. I am looking forward to the chance. I have a theroy about the cuts in the slide. What they are are cocking "serrations" for a press check South African style.Place the off hand over the slide pinky finger against the front sight. The thumb of the same hand engages the grip safty contraction of the hand forcings the slide to the rear. Check the chamber visually and place a finger of the shooting hand in the chamber for the physical check. Could be. Best. Teal Blue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts