1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a brand new Springfield Armory Stainless Steel "Loaded" pistol and have put about 300 rounds through it. Today when I went to clean it, I had the biggest b**ch of a time trying to pull out the barrel while disassembling. From the looks of it, the barrel diameter had expanded right around the area of the locking lugs. I was only able to pull out the barrel after applying massive amounts of oil, drenching the barrel. I had to apply quite a bit of oil to get in back in after cleaning, in fact.

I've also had a problem with rounds not fully feeding, stopping about half-inserted. Racking the slide also often results in, well, grinding. I'm wondering if these issues are the result of inadequate lubrication? Or perhaps, the gun just needs to be broken in a bit more? Or perhaps still, the action needs to be worked on?

Any constructive input is greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
80 Posts
You should send that thing back for warrenty repair. You didn't say but were you shooting reloads?

Sounds like the barrel may be out of spec in several areas.

Tony G.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No reloads... just a mix of CCI and American Eagle 230 gr. FMJ.

I'm using Outers gun oil... on a stainless steel gun... might it be evaporating too quickly?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I don't think your choice of lube is the problem. Sounds like your barrel was not fitted correctly. I'd be looking for some warranty repairs.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
...That is dangerous...

Contact SA and get some relief! That's way too scary to be any fun...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd take it back to the shop where you bought it, and have the clerk dissasemble it in front of you, if he has the same problem, have them ship it back to Springfield. It is a problem and could cause excessive wear in the slide, and/or frame.. It is unusual for a Springfied to be tight in any respect.
Springfield had great customer service and will take care of you.
Daniel.

------------------
1 peter 5:8

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions!

Just to let everyone know, I brought the gun to a local gunsmith and was told that there had been some peening in the frame, which was causing the grinding sensation I described. Also, the extractor spring tension was only aout half of what it should have been, which explains the stovepipes.

For $20, he took care of both issues and I haven't had a malfunction since. Incidentally, I also stopped using Outers oil to lubricate the various parts and switched instead to Permatex white lithium grease. Apparently, it's the same stuff as RIG +P, but for a bit less money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts