1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So had my first issue with my 1911. One of my grip bushings came out with the grip screw. In looking at it, it seems that when it was assembled some loctite got on the screw threads and basically made it impossible to separate the bushing from the screw. In my infinite wisdom I decided to use a pair of needle nose wrapped in tape to grip the bushing while I tried to separate the screw. While I got the screw out, the bushing threads were completely rounding off smooth. I "thought" maybe trying to put the bushing back in the grip the frame threads would re-cut the bushing threads. Nope. Soooooo, I ordered some replacement bushings. The problem is the new bushing(s) will kinda of start one or two threads in the frame hole, but then becomes super hard to thread. When I ordered them it stated they were the regular height .236-60 bushings. The grips screws thread into the pushings by hand perfectly so I know those threads are good. At this point I stopped and am looking to the forum in helping me find a solution.

·
Premium Member
15,572 Posts
Probably rounded the top thread of the frame when trying to use the original. Taps are available. Something I might try is to remove the opposite side bushing and screw in a bushing in the damaged hole from the inside so as to refresh the threads, it could of course become a compounded problem. A very careful look at the frame threads may help, I find rotating to the left as I feel the threads mesh and then to the right to start. Fiddle sometimes solves the problem.

LOG

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
So had my first issue with my 1911. One of my grip bushings came out with the grip screw. In looking at it, it seems that when it was assembled some loctite got on the screw threads and basically made it impossible to separate the bushing from the screw. In my infinite wisdom I decided to use a pair of needle nose wrapped in tape to grip the bushing while I tried to separate the screw. While I got the screw out, the bushing threads were completely rounding off smooth. I "thought" maybe trying to put the bushing back in the grip the frame threads would re-cut the bushing threads. Nope. Soooooo, I ordered some replacement bushings. The problem is the new bushing(s) will kinda of start one or two threads in the frame hole, but then becomes super hard to thread. When I ordered them it stated they were the regular height .236-60 bushings. The grips screws thread into the pushings by hand perfectly so I know those threads are good. At this point I stopped and am looking to the forum in helping me find a solution.
You needed a Galloway #10 1911 Grip Bushing Tool. It’s made to help you get the bushing out from your grip when this happens and you won’t damage your bushing. A great little tool.
you can find one on eBay or ESTY just search for 1911 Grip Bushing Tool. I highly recommend it. 1911’s Forever

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably rounded the top thread of the frame when trying to use the original. Taps are available. Something I might try is to remove the opposite side bushing and screw in a bushing in the damaged hole from the inside so as to refresh the threads, it could of course become a compounded problem. A very careful look at the frame threads may help, I find rotating to the left as I feel the threads mesh and then to the right to start. Fiddle sometimes solves the problem.

LOG
Thank you for the reply. I looked at the frame threads and they looked good. I did NOT see any rounding off of the frame threads.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Snyperx, which manufacturer made your frame? Just to rule out the possibility of thread incompatibility. I've heard but not confirmed that some Norinco frames had metric grip bushing threads; wondering if there might be others as well.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Came out with the grip screw when I was attempting to swap out the grip panels.
Understand. But taking a damaged several $ part and attempting to use it potentially damaged the most expensive part in the equation. The frame threads are very fine and even with the proper tap can be ruined if the tap is slightly mishandled.
Please use the utmost care in chasing the threads in the frame.
Joe

·
Registered
318 Posts
Snyperx,

Good on you for going to the Challis bushings. I am a huge Challis fan and think you’ll be impressed. You may want to order a Challis bushing removal tool while you’re at it for future use.

don’t forget to order the bushing O-rings as well as the grip screw O rings to complete the system.

Brian Challis gave me this tip over the phone when I was having a hard time getting the bushing started:

Instead of laying the pistol on its side to drive the bushings, lay the pistol on your table so that the top of the slide is in contact with the top of your table and the grip portion of the frame sticks straight up in the air. Then drive the bushings in a horizontal fashion. Somehow this makes it easier to engage those fine threads.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
You may need oversize bushings and the tap for them. I've stripped the threads in a aluminum frames a couple of times and fixed with these.

Expensive but when going oversize bushings you only get one try.

I have wood grips on all my 1911's. First thing I do when I buy a different one is to install the Challis bushing set-up. Torque wrench, bushings, and o-rings. Well worth the cost. I remove the wood grips frequently because solvent and oil accumulates under the grips.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Came out with the grip screw when I was attempting to swap out the grip panels.
This happens a lot. Sometimes you can get them back in but not a good idea as you can’t see what your doing. Best to remove the grip bushing from your grip. But don’t use pliers in one hand and screwdriver in the other cause that’s when things get messed up. Use the Galloway #10 tool for best results.

·
Banned
20 Posts
JUST GET OVERSIZED BUSHINGS, THEIR SELF THREADING,

1 - 20 of 34 Posts