1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about trying thin grips on my Silverback. However that will require switching the bushings. I have some VZ Universal bushings to insta. DW uses green locite, So the bushings should not require a lot of torque
My question, can anyone reccomend a bushing tool make this process easier?

Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have replaced the grip bushings on two Valor's. I used a BROWNELLS - MAGNA-TIP® 1911 AUTO BUSHING DRIVER™ BIT. All 8 came out relatively easily.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
What Blaster said.

Be careful withe the VZ universals. Carefully check them while screwing them in. They had a bunch that were out of spec (too small a diameter) that could strip the existing threads in the frame when you tighten them. I ended up ordering some EB bushings which fit perfectly.

Measure and compare the width with the ones you're taking out.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The Brownell tool - or go with Challis thin bushings and rent his torque removal tool.
Whatever method - a little heat from a soldering iron on the bushing will soften the Loctite.

Good luck.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I changed to all slender grips on my 1911's because I have small hands. I really recommend the Challis hex drive bushings. Makes the job so much easier. I also got his bushing extractors to make the job of removing the old bushings easier. I used Blue 242 Loctite.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay to the challis bushings. Norman, you mention renting the tool, can you elaborate? Or is it worth spending the $50.00 to get the Challis tool(s) for both the standard and thin bushings?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Agree on the vz universals, my set had a bad one that just about ruined an aluminum frame.. but 3 worked great..

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just order 4 sets of challis bushings, bushing and grip o rings, a grip screwdriver and a bushing driver. I did not order the removal tools. It would be 50 bucks for both. Can I rent the removal tool from Challis?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I just order 4 sets of challis bushings, bushing and grip o rings, a grip screwdriver and a bushing driver. I did not order the removal tools. It would be 50 bucks for both. Can I rent the removal tool from Challis?
I seem to recall that when he first introduced these bushings he rented the removal tool. I just checked his sight and there was no mention of rental. My guess is that this option is not available now - but I'd give a call (801 571-5247) to him to double check.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
So where is the link to this challis bushing site? I have always used bushings from Brownells and I have both their bushing tools. I have never heard of the challis bushing but I would like to check them out.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Richardw I have the standard grip bushing removal tool coming if you pay the shipping and send it back I will let you borrow it...

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Richardw, you will only need the removal tool if things do not go well. Try the standard driver first. The removal tool is like a screw extractor and is your backup plan. Since you sought the correct tool first, you probably will not need to extract damaged bushings.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Be advised that with the VZ universal bushings , the ability to use both thin and standard grips ,applies only to grips made by VZ

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love this forum. You guys are great and a tremendous wealth of knowledge and generousity. I would not have otherwise known about a potential problem with the universal bushings or that they are universal to VZ (great company by the way) or about the new design Challis bushings (ordered 4 sets) etc.
am I correct that I will only need the tool to take out the original bushings and once the Challis bushings are installed all I need is his 7/16 hex wrench?

NDL I called and left a message. And WB, always a gentleman, thank you all.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
You are correct 7/32 nut driver is all that is required to install the challis bushings!! And no problem gladly help a fellow member out whenever possible..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts