1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing out the grips on my Springer TRP when the grip, the screw, and the bushing all came out of my gun. The screw is firmly seated in the bushing and I can't get it to budge. The screw does not appear to be cross threaded. Perhaps the screws were tightened too much last time I cleaned the weapon. Anyway, I then tried to screw the hole assembly back into the bushing receiving hole but was unable to. Any ideas or suggestions. Is this a quickfix or should I see a gunsmith or even send to Springfield? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Vise grips and a new set of bushings. Much cheaper than sending it back. Put a drop of blue loctite on the bushings and let it sit before installing the grips.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
TRP533 said:
I was changing out the grips on my Springer TRP when the grip, the screw, and the bushing all came out of my gun. The screw is firmly seated in the bushing and I can't get it to budge. The screw does not appear to be cross threaded. Perhaps the screws were tightened too much last time I cleaned the weapon. Anyway, I then tried to screw the hole assembly back into the bushing receiving hole but was unable to. Any ideas or suggestions. Is this a quickfix or should I see a gunsmith or even send to Springfield? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx
All is not lost. Look closely at the bushing and you will see that a portion of it at the top is not threaded. Grab the unthreaded portion with a set of diagonal cutters and then remove the grip screw. Use a quality hollow ground screwdriver that is a close fit to the grip screw. If you meet a lot of resistance, try some heat. Having someone hold the grip screw and bushing for you is also a good idea.

When re-installing the bushing again use a screw driver that fits or you risk ruining the bushing (Brownells sells a special tool). Clean the frame and bushing with brake parts cleaner and, if you really want to do a good job, treat both parts with Loctite Primer. Apply a small amount of red Loctite and reassemble. Clean the threads of the bushing before installing the grips and screws to make sure no red Loctite got in there.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the advice Gammon, that sounds great and I will try it. Only one other problem is that the actual wood grip is still being held by the screw and bushing, so I can see the threaded bottom portion of the bushing, but do not have access to the smooth top of the bushing. I would try vice grips on what I can see of the bushing but I don't want to warp the external threading on bushing. So should I destroy the grip in an attempt to get to the whole bushing out?

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
No, just grab the bushing with some visegrips and use a quality screwdriver or allen wrench on the grip screw. You can buy a whole set of bushings and screws for a few bucks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you put a small piece of duct tape over the busing threads to protect them you will be able to re-use them. Then loctite them in. Just did this to 2 of mine this last week.

·
Registered
85 Posts
TRP533 said:
Thanx for the advice Gammon, that sounds great and I will try it. Only one other problem is that the actual wood grip is still being held by the screw and bushing, so I can see the threaded bottom portion of the bushing, but do not have access to the smooth top of the bushing. I would try vice grips on what I can see of the bushing but I don't want to warp the external threading on bushing. So should I destroy the grip in an attempt to get to the whole bushing out?

Depends how well you like the grip. Bushings are usually about $.99 each at Midway or Brownells, maybe even your local shop has them. I would pick up another set of bushings and screws just to have in your toolbox for the future. I had this exact problem happen to me, but got lucky and they came apart. The LAST thing you want to do is try and put an even slightly damaged bushing back into your frame. As you see, the threads are very small and could easily be damaged.
Good luck and post back how everything went.

Take care,
Dave

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
TRP533 said:
You should still be able to get at the unthreaded part of the bushing. When the grip is installed in the pistol the unthreaded portion of the bushing is in the frame below the level of the grip. Look carefully as there isn't much of the bushing that isn't threaded. It is located directly below the shoulder that bears against the frame.

·
Registered
323 Posts
TRP533 said:
... the actual wood grip is still being held by the screw and bushing, so I can see the threaded bottom portion of the bushing, but do not have access to the smooth top of the bushing. I would try vice grips on what I can see of the bushing but I don't want to warp the external threading on bushing. So should I destroy the grip in an attempt to get to the whole bushing out?
In my experience, it's a damn sight cheaper to replace a bushing than a set of grips.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Marine05 said:
In my experience, it's a damn sight cheaper to replace a bushing than a set of grips.
AND the chance of screwing up your threads! I keep several sets of bushings/screws on hand for this very problem. Cheaper than a cup of Starbucks!

·
Registered
285 Posts
You should still be able to get at the unthreaded part of the bushing. When the grip is installed in the pistol the unthreaded portion of the bushing is in the frame below the level of the grip. Look carefully as there isn't much of the bushing that isn't threaded. It is located directly below the shoulder that bears against the frame.

Just the ticket, thanks!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I've sometimes been successful in reusing bushings after taking them out. I got the bushing bit from brownells and that helped a lot. The bushings are very soft, which probably protects the frame threads. From now on, I throw the bushings out and get new ones. My local gun store had a bag of them for about $5. Might want to look into that. I know this goes without saying, but it would be a bad day to strip the threads on the frame out. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts